Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by brick »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:52 am
brick wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:17 am Is this an appropriate place to mention that Jeopardy might be starting taping again next week? They were set to go, but with cases rising in California it’s up in the air again.
do we have confirmation somewhere they were planning to start taping? Contestants were lined up and everything? While it might seem "right" to call back those who were at the head of the line, the situation might not make that possible right now, so they would've had local people ready?
As I hear it they have been working making the sets of both Jeopardy and Wheel safe, with some combination of barriers and distance, and reworking lighting and camera positions for those changes. The plan was to tape some Wheel, I think roughly 7/23&24, and J! The next week, possibly 7/30&31. I don’t know anything about how they are managing contestants. And with cases rising in California and Gov Newsom getting mad, who knows?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Heh. Cloudflare blew up...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
brick

Post by brick »

brick wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:40 pm
triviawayne wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:52 am
brick wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:17 am Is this an appropriate place to mention that Jeopardy might be starting taping again next week? They were set to go, but with cases rising in California it’s up in the air again.
do we have confirmation somewhere they were planning to start taping? Contestants were lined up and everything? While it might seem "right" to call back those who were at the head of the line, the situation might not make that possible right now, so they would've had local people ready?
As I hear it they have been working making the sets of both Jeopardy and Wheel safe, with some combination of barriers and distance, and reworking lighting and camera positions for those changes. The plan was to tape some Wheel, I think roughly 7/23&24, and J! The next week, possibly 7/30&31. I don’t know anything about how they are managing contestants. And with cases rising in California and Gov Newsom getting mad, who knows?
This timing has moved back but I am unclear on details. It should be said that everyone involved is very aware of Mr Trebek's health.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Today is Alex Trebek's 80th birthday and also my parents' silver wedding anniversary. :)
Douglas Squasoni
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I love this quote from an article about Wal-Mart closing on Thanksgiving:

"Furner said the employee who suggested the idea of closing for Thanksgiving was Kevin Carlyle, who works at a store in Round Rock, Texas."

So, what? You were going to stay open and then this ONE guy suggested you close? :)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's nice that Mary Hart and her husband (Burt Sugarman) were able to scrape together the hundreds of dollars needed to get their cut-outs in their usual place at Dodger Stadium as a game from there would not look the same otherwise.
Volante

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:26 pm It's nice that Mary Hart and her husband (Burt Sugarman) were able to scrape together the hundreds of dollars needed to get their cut-outs in their usual place at Dodger Stadium as a game from there would not look the same otherwise.
Apparently this was a Dodgers thing: https://www.mlb.com/dodgers/fans/cutouts
The Cubs are not doing this. This is my shocked face: :|

Edit: not that common apparently, only 10 teams of 29* offering (Blue Jays get a pass until they settle into a home field)
https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2020/7/ ... cubs-do-it
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Volante wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:55 am Apparently this was a Dodgers thing: https://www.mlb.com/dodgers/fans/cutouts
The Rays are also doing it, for less than the Dodgers ($40 for season ticket holders, $60 for others): https://www.mlb.com/rays/fans/cut-outs

However, they didn't have any set up in Tropicana Field for their first game of the season. I wonder if it's because they've sold so few that they decided it would have looked weird. (Or they didn't get them printed and constructed soon enough.)
Volante

Post by Volante »

trainman wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:34 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:55 am Apparently this was a Dodgers thing: https://www.mlb.com/dodgers/fans/cutouts
The Rays are also doing it, for less than the Dodgers ($40 for season ticket holders, $60 for others): https://www.mlb.com/rays/fans/cut-outs

However, they didn't have any set up in Tropicana Field for their first game of the season. I wonder if it's because they've sold so few that they decided it would have looked weird. (Or they didn't get them printed and constructed soon enough.)
The cutouts would make Tropicana look more popular than it usually is.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Not my quote ...

MLB in empty stadiums? I grew up with the 70s Cleveland Indians. Finally baseball looks normal again to me.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

alietr wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:15 am MLB in empty stadiums? I grew up with the 70s Cleveland Indians. Finally baseball looks normal again to me.
Also true if you grew up with the '80s Indians (as I did). They didn't start to fill stadiums (or get good) until after Jacobs Field was built.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

From the New Old Games in the J! Archive thread:
Robert K S wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:37 am
Just to clarify for the record here on JBoard, the obituary Mark points to indicates that Babs McClellan died 2003-02-26, not 2019-05-11, as in the obituary for Barbara McLellan (note surname spelling difference) that Bamaman points to. Barbara McLellan does share some resemblance with Babs McClellan and did happen to live in Clearwater, Florida, as Babs McClellan had, but the obituary for McLellan says she grew up in Arkansas and does not indicate that she ever lived in Auburn, New York, which is where Babs McClellan lived in 1965 during the Fleming ToC era. They both married men named John.
Speaking of coincidences, my favorite is:

In 1979, Jim Springer and Jim Lewis, “the Jim twins,” were reunited at age 39 after not knowing the other existed. As described in Segal’s book on the identical Jim twins, Born Together—Reared Apart, both had been adopted and raised by different families in Ohio, just 40 miles apart from each other. Despite their separate upbringings, it turned out that both twins got terrible migraines, bit their nails, smoked Salem cigarettes, drove light blue Chevrolets, did poorly in spelling and math, and had worked at McDonald’s and as part-time deputy sheriffs. But the weirdest part was that one of the Jim twins had named his first son James Alan. The other had named his first son James Allan. Both had named their pet dogs “Toy.” Both had also married women named Linda—then they got divorced, and both married women named Betty.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Last Sunday, a police officer came to the McDonald's where I work and said that neighbors were complaining about my dog, a 15 year old labradoodle named Chase. He'd gotten out into the dog yard and was whining incessantly, leading them to believe that he had been hit by a car. I had noticed the incessant whining the day before too, as well as the fact that he wasn't eating much, but I chalked his behavior up to old age. So my mom came and got him, and the prognosis was that he had to be put down. My mom had just read Marley & Me and figured that Chase may have had stomach issue similar to the dog in that story.

The past couple days, I had noticed that my 10-year-old Siamese cat, Luna, seemed rather distressed -- a far cry from her usual healthy, energetic self. I figured it was just because she'd finally realized that Chase was gone, and with me being out of the house most of the day, this meant that a very social breed of cat doesn't have much to do. Her behavior reminded me of my childhood cat Mis (also a Siamese), who would act incredibly distressed every time we left the house until we finally got a second cat for her to interact with. So I gave her some flea treatment -- the same kind I'd used on her many times before with no ill effects, figuring that I should take care of her minor flea problem before looking at introducing another animal to the house.

This morning, I woke up and found Luna dead on my living room floor.

For the first time in 26 years, I do not own a pet.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Sorry to see your double pet loss, TPH. May good memories remind you of fun times with Chase & Luna. The tough hits in 2020 keep on coming. Here's to a happier post at a later time to share about a new pet.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:42 am For the first time in 26 years, I do not own a pet.
Oh Bobby, I'm so sorry. This is a rough double blow.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Allow me to lighten the mood of my last post with this early FoxTrot strip I recently found in my collection.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Filling out my primary ballot and I can't say I've ever seen the point of voting for judges.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:12 pm Filling out my primary ballot and I can't say I've ever seen the point of voting for judges.
There are a lot of positions I don’t get voting for. Why do we elect a sheriff but not the police chief? Or vote for a coroner. The coroner is a partisan position here. Does one’s political views effect how you judge a cause of death?

Recently there was a constitutional amendment in Alabama to change the state school board from being elected to being appointed by the governor and some committee. People completely freaked out over the possibility of not voting for the state school board. I couldn’t name a single person on the state school board and I bet the vast majority of those who were freaking out over it couldn’t either.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:38 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:12 pm Filling out my primary ballot and I can't say I've ever seen the point of voting for judges.
There are a lot of positions I don’t get voting for. Why do we elect a sheriff but not the police chief? Or vote for a coroner. The coroner is a partisan position here. Does one’s political views effect how you judge a cause of death?
That's just the way things were always done and we HATE change. (Except actual coin change...we're never getting rid of the damn penny...)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:32 pm That's just the way things were always done and we HATE change. (Except actual coin change...we're never getting rid of the damn penny...)
Sure we will. We just need Wal*Mart to decide to stop taking pennies. Everything will be rounded to the nearest nickel. Other stores will follow suit and there will no longer be any demand. The real trick will be getting rid of the nickel without re-valuing the quarter.