New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 7/10/92: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6785

Player pics of Lucy Schilling, Lois Rosenfeld and Pete Goodman:
Spoiler
Ugly game and amazing it produced two semifinalists. All six of the players bounced early had the chance to be above the needed $2000 though of course they could not know that would make WC4.

1991 & 2020 miss for me on the FJ! clue as I was not about to recall this clue:

#5630, aired 2009-02-13 WOMEN OF THE WORLD $400: This British dame, Rudolf Nureyev's dance partner, was married to a Panamanian diplomat

I guessed that famous fruit hat lady.

Seven clues left is a lot for a QF game, but in this case it probably does not change any results.

Leszek and Jerome were fine with the delay of the GREGORY category having it fall to the TofC as they got two each with Bruce getting the other one:

#1889, aired 1992-11-19 POPES NAMED GREGORY $200: Gregory I's name lives on in this musical form
#1889, aired 1992-11-19 POPES NAMED GREGORY $400: Gregory XIII is famous for his revision of this in 1582
#1889, aired 1992-11-19 POPES NAMED GREGORY $600: Not even a member of the priesthood, Gregory X was on one of these with Edward I when elected
#1889, aired 1992-11-19 POPES NAMED GREGORY $800: In September 1376, Gregory XI moved the papacy from this city back to Rome
#1889, aired 1992-11-19 POPES NAMED GREGORY $1000: Gregory XV canonized Teresa of Avila and this man of Loyola, among others
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Colombian city now has its special letter A. Enjoy more Cole Porter, Opus.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:02 pm Seems like a pretty tough top row clue for J10 U.S. HISTORY $100: Though subpoenaed, this president refused to appear at Burr's trial in 1807
Spoiler
Jefferson. This is something everyone knows? On a DD he would've been my guess (after swatting away the dead non-president Hamilton). But no way would I ring in.
Spoiler
Jefferson was President in 1807, and Burr was his veep, so he's the reasonable guess. Washington died in 1799, so Adams is the only other real possibility.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:38 am I added 7/10/92: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6785
Cole Porter again?! I wonder if there's enough crossover to compile a BIBLICAL COLE PORTER category. Offhand I can only think of a line from "Let's Misbehave" that would fit the bill. Anyway, I only got two in the category--the obvious rhyme for "blendship" that even people unfamiliar with that song would get, and the TS in the bottom row.

Spelling check on El Beso de la Mujer Araña. Did the clue as shown omit the penultimate special character there?

So for DJ19 NATIONAL PARKS $200: Animals living in this Florida park include herons, manatees, pelicans & alligators
Spoiler
Everglades of course. But what are the odds they'd have accepted Disney? :lol:
Zero chance on FJ. Doubt I'd have done better back then.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Agree with Myron on the Burr clue.
Spoiler
There were literally only two possibilities and TJ seems much more likely. Even if you include future presidents none of them makes any sense.
Never even heard of the person in the last game Mark entered.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:55 pm Agree with Myron on the Burr clue.
Spoiler
There were literally only two possibilities and TJ seems much more likely. Even if you include future presidents none of them makes any sense.
Sure, I follow the logic and that's probably why I settled on the correct response. But I didn't do so with full confidence that I wasn't missing something. I can see that in a middle row or lower clue. I generally expect top row clues to have a simpler path to the solution.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Have you seen Hamilton, Opus?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:06 pm
Spoiler
Sure, I follow the logic and that's probably why I settled on the correct response. But I didn't do so with full confidence that I wasn't missing something. I can see that in a middle row or lower clue. I generally expect top row clues to have a simpler path to the solution.
Sometimes they just are that obvious... :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
booboo9921
Valued Contributor

Post by booboo9921 »

GoodStrategy wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:07 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:48 amIt was almost like the tournament had two winners with Bob also exceeding the winner's guarantee though only Lou got the bonus invite to return of course.
A similar situation happened in the 1996 Teen Tournament (which was decided by a tiebreaker clue).
I know that Alex said "So we are going to set a record this year" before the tiebreaker category was announced, and the clue read. Would I be correct in assuming that was in reference to the total amount of money that had been won? (but even if it wasn't, I think Alex made one slight grammatical error. If it was in reference to that, then he definitely did, but if not then i can't be entirely sure.) The error I spotted was, I would think the right way to word it would be, "We have set a record this year"
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:09 pm Have you seen Hamilton, Opus?
Nope, and neither had the contestants. :D
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Volante wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:29 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:06 pm
Spoiler
Sometimes they just are that obvious... :lol:
Maybe this should be taken to the TPH thd. :x
OCSam
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:03 pm I added 7/10/92: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6785
I remember the "Witches" neg. It's funny what jogs one's memory when these games go up.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 7/13/92: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6786

Player pics of Martha Thompson, Leonard Schmidt & Hugh Mulvaney were posted previously.

Almost complete but a late start of the game preempted the first three clues.

Leonard escaped a possible defeat as Hugh could not connect the operatic dots.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Bad wager by Leonard but the sole solve saves him. No way am I getting it.

Too bad about the first three clues but at least you know who got what.
booboo9921
Valued Contributor

Post by booboo9921 »

Don't ask me why I looked this up, I will NEVER know (and even if I did, needless to say I would never tell, Trust me, you'll most likely be able to figure out for yourself why I wouldn't want to tell after you read this post,) Anyway, a fun fact regarding the may 23 1991 game, it looks as though, (Judging by the fact that the color of the front and back cover is the same,) the book mentioned in the $100 kiddie literature clue, was mentioned in the 14th episode of season 1 of (gulp) "Barney & Friends".
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 7/14/92: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6787

Player pics of Lucy Schilling, Carolyn Meek and Pat Fine were posted previously.

I don't even have to look to know that was a miss for me in 1992 and I was not going to do any better in 2020 on that FJ! clue. The game was reasonably close for a good portion of the DJ! round until Carolyn showed the game was hers.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

You gave Pat credit for a correct question in FJ.

I like clues that could fit in another category on the same board like the one at J8.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:56 pm You gave Pat credit for a correct question in FJ.

I like clues that could fit in another category on the same board like the one at J8.
Green clicked to red, thanks.
booboo9921
Valued Contributor

Post by booboo9921 »

I apologize for not actually asking this before I posted about that clue from the May 23, 1991 episode, (In the future, I will remember to do so, but if a member was to search on Youtube, and find out that a book, specific episode of a certain tv show. or anything mentioned in a clue that was revealed in a game that has been archived, is that information allowed to be posted in this thread, like as a fun fact for REALLY die-hard fans. (there was a part two to that sentence BUT I am not going to include it because I do not want to take any chances of offending any of my fellow board members.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

booboo9921 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:06 pm I apologize for not actually asking this before I posted about that clue from the May 23, 1991 episode, (In the future, I will remember to do so, but if a member was to search on Youtube, and find out that a book, specific episode of a certain tv show. or anything mentioned in a clue that was revealed in a game that has been archived, is that information allowed to be posted in this thread, like as a fun fact for REALLY die-hard fans. (there was a part two to that sentence BUT I am not going to include it because I do not want to take any chances of offending any of my fellow board members.)

It might be better to post it in this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=230