New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

booboo9921 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:06 pm I apologize for not actually asking this before I posted about that clue from the May 23, 1991 episode, (In the future, I will remember to do so, but if a member was to search on Youtube, and find out that a book, specific episode of a certain tv show. or anything mentioned in a clue that was revealed in a game that has been archived, is that information allowed to be posted in this thread, like as a fun fact for REALLY die-hard fans. (there was a part two to that sentence BUT I am not going to include it because I do not want to take any chances of offending any of my fellow board members.)
Don't bother. Stuff that appears on Jeopardy appears on other shows all the time. It would just clutter things up.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:52 pm I added 7/14/92: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6787
Hooray, Zviad Gamsakhurdia gets a second mention in J! Archive! (Previously he was only in the 2000 ToC, where, absurdly even for a ToC, the players were expected to name him.

DJ DD1 has "s" for "is."
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:30 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:52 pm I added 7/14/92: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6787
Hooray, Zviad Gamsakhurdia gets a second mention in J! Archive! (Previously he was only in the 2000 ToC, where, absurdly even for a ToC, the players were expected to name him.

DJ DD1 has "s" for "is."
i added the i, thx
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 7/15/92: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6788

Players pics of Lois Rosenfeld, Jim Baehler and Hansford Epes were posted previously.

58R and 1TS for a great game as Hansford was very clutch in getting DJ28-30 to take the necessary lead.

Tomorrow I will do both games of the finals, so no game this afternoon as I feel like taking a short J! break.
booboo9921
Valued Contributor

Post by booboo9921 »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:46 pm
booboo9921 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:06 pm I apologize for not actually asking this before I posted about that clue from the May 23, 1991 episode, (In the future, I will remember to do so, but if a member was to search on Youtube, and find out that a book, specific episode of a certain tv show. or anything mentioned in a clue that was revealed in a game that has been archived, is that information allowed to be posted in this thread, like as a fun fact for REALLY die-hard fans. (there was a part two to that sentence BUT I am not going to include it because I do not want to take any chances of offending any of my fellow board members.)
Don't bother. Stuff that appears on Jeopardy appears on other shows all the time. It would just clutter things up.
I apologize for also not explaining the other reason why I posted that here, (I do not recall the day I posted about it in this thread, but I did post a fun fact about the board for the DJ round of the deciding game of the 1990 teen tournament,) it's shown on the cover of "The J! book", and somebody added a line for it in the archive, (again I don't remember who.) and I thought someone would be willing to do that for this clue as well, or would someone be willing to, BUT I will have to find proof first?) because I would think that even though Jeopardy is the most material heavy quiz show of all time, you can't deny that Barney is basically the last show that ANYONE would expect a book that was mentioned in a Jeopardy clue to be referenced on.) (Even if it was in a kiddie literature category.) and besides that, I am a sucker for beyond useless tv trivia (particularly if it's from the '90a.), and I will be darned if that does not fall into that category.
Last edited by booboo9921 on Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

booboo9921 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:02 pmyou can't deny that Barney is basically the last show that ANYONE would expect a book that was mentioned in a Jeopardy clue to be referenced on.) (Even if it was in a kiddie literature category.)
It's a long-running educational show for children. Of course it's going to mention things also heard on a popular quiz program. What a strange presumption.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:08 pm I added 7/13/92: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6786
Good FJ. Should be gettable just by...
Spoiler
...guessing the only city that comes up when you list the only opera(s) you can think of by any of those guys. I guess if you don't remember Rossini = Barber of Seville, then Carmen and Fidelio aren't much of a back door in.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:23 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:08 pm I added 7/13/92: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6786
Spoiler
...guessing the only city that comes up when you list the only opera(s) you can think of by any of those guys. I guess if you don't remember Rossini = Barber of Seville, then Carmen and Fidelio aren't much of a back door in.
Spoiler
My way to it was to think Bizet -> Carmen -> Spain, and then try to come up with a city in Spain where operas took place. Seville was all I could come up with, knowing of one opera that even had it in its title (I didn't even think of Rossini as its composer; I would have been stuck on William Tell without the Bizet prompt).
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:19 pm
Spoiler
Spoiler
My way to it was to think Bizet -> Carmen -> Spain, and then try to come up with a city in Spain where operas took place. Seville was all I could come up with, knowing of one opera that even had it in its title (I didn't even think of Rossini as its composer; I would have been stuck on William Tell without the Bizet prompt).
Spoiler
Yeah, I guess the Rossini-Seville connection isn't as much of a gimme as I thought. Mrs Penguin wasn't able to get to the right response when I showed her the clue. She tried to find a way in via Carmen, just like you, but only got as far as Madrid. (We even saw a production of Carmen in San Francisco in 1998. But I don't specifically recall the Seville setting, just that it's somewhere in Spain. So I'm not blaming her for not pulling that up.) I'm guessing Madrid was also Martha's first guess with her crossed out Ma before switching to Paris. Either that or she was so distracted she started writing her own name before realizing that's not what they were supposed to be doing right then. :D
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:46 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:19 pm
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Yeah, I guess the Rossini-Seville connection isn't as much of a gimme as I thought. Mrs Penguin wasn't able to get to the right response when I showed her the clue. She tried to find a way in via Carmen, just like you, but only got as far as Madrid. (We even saw a production of Carmen in San Francisco in 1998. But I don't specifically recall the Seville setting, just that it's somewhere in Spain. So I'm not blaming her for not pulling that up.) I'm guessing Madrid was also Martha's first guess with her crossed out Ma before switching to Paris. Either that or she was so distracted she started writing her own name before realizing that's not what they were supposed to be doing right then. :D
Spoiler
I first tried Fidelio...before realizing I knew nothing about it. Then just started to run off Rossini operas. Tell? Magpie? Otello? Barber...of Seville! Spain, Carmen. That fits.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 7/16/92: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6789

Player pics of Carolyn Meek, Leonard Schmidt and Hansford Epes have been posted previously.

Carolyn could not hang with the gentlemen and when she got in she was often wrong.

Even back in 1992 I got that FJ! clue as I picked up a lot of movie knowledge without seeing old films by watching S&E and J! having repetition.

Yo-yo game with Leonard having a big lead at one point while Hansford quickly overtook him and then Leonard got the lead back thanks to more betting nerve on the FJ! category.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:43 am I added 7/16/92: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6789
In BODIES OF WATER $500 you've misspelled the response. More on the judgment call side of things, I'd capitalize the first letter of the abbreviation in ABBREVIATIONS $100.

I remember seeing the GU postal code clue when it aired.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:07 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:43 am I added 7/16/92: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6789
In BODIES OF WATER $500 you've misspelled the response. More on the judgment call side of things, I'd capitalize the first letter of the abbreviation in ABBREVIATIONS $100.

The fixes are in, thanks. I should post a clip of the lake clue just to share Hansford saying it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:26 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:07 pm

The fixes are in, thanks. I should post a clip of the lake clue just to share Hansford saying it.
Here is the clip: https://youtu.be/kC5vGRLG_Yk
booboo9921
Valued Contributor

Post by booboo9921 »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:00 pm
booboo9921 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:02 pmyou can't deny that Barney is basically the last show that ANYONE would expect a book that was mentioned in a Jeopardy clue to be referenced on.) (Even if it was in a kiddie literature category.
It's a long-running educational show for children. Of course it's going to mention things also heard on a popular quiz program. What a strange presumption.
The episode that the book was referenced in, aired in 1992, so actually, the show was in its FIRST season. (I know it WAS a long running show, but still, and also, I guess last wasn't the right word, but still i will not deny that it is kind of funny. (I certainly am going to post that as a fb status under the title: "strange but true tv trivia." (Just to annoy my mom and my cousin Carolyn.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 7/17/92: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6790

Player picks of Carolyn Meek, Leonard Schmidt and Hansford Epes have been posted previously.

Reverse the order of the FJ! clues in the finals and it may be that Hansford wins.

Another case of a player playing DD3 at clue 30 in F2. Hansford set himself up for the lead and chance to win. Credit to Leonard for a least picking an election that met the criteria.

That completes the 1992 Seniors other than those 3 missing clues in SF1.

1991 Teens are next and unfortunately there is more Monday bad luck as QF1 did not come on until chats so I think it's another 13 or so missing clues.

This must be why that tournament was never part of the request blocks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C7vI1OVEXo
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

^ The swan song for both the original 1984 theme music used since day 1, and Dick Schneider's last show as director (passing the director's baton to Kevin McCarthy, who'd serve for 25 years).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:27 pm I added 7/17/92: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6790
MOVIE SEQUELS $600 is missing a closing quotation mark.

For RHYME TIME $500, "Late columnist Wilson's witticisms," the first word for "witticisms" I could think of was "quips," so I took a stab with "Flip's quips." Not only was Flip Wilson never a columnist, he was alive in 1992!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:33 am I added 7/15/92: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6788
Currer Bell's real name:
Spoiler
Charlotte Brontë wants a dieresis so people know to pronounce the final letter. Fun fact: Both American Heritage and Merriam-Webster use Brontë as an example in their definition of "dieresis". OED, the dictionary I would have thought most likely to do so, does not.
Surprised there were no negs on FJ. I didn't get it.
Spoiler
My first guess was Corsica since it's French but well situated for the war. (But I guess being French put it under German control?) Sardinia would have been my second guess. Pianosa would have been my third since that was the setting for Catch-22. I do recall that Heller introduced the book by noting that the island was actually too small for the activity he was describing. But that's because the book depicted Pianosa as a base of operations with at least one squadron and barracks and offices and everything. As an "aircraft carrier" with a small crew and a refueling & repair station, it probably would have sufficed. I think I unconsciously ruled Malta out because I think of Malta as a Mediterranean COUNTRY that, yes, happens to be an island if you ask. I would've gotten to it ahead of Cyprus (which I see as better situated for World War I than World War II?)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:27 pm Reverse the order of the FJ! clues in the finals and it may be that Hansford wins.
From the pre-FJ positions, Leonard was the one who (quote-unquote) should have come out on top in a triple stumper, but he got very lucky. From my two-day wagering suggestions thread:
seaborgium wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:16 pm

Code: Select all

Hansford: 10200 8900 19100 28000
Leonard:  11200 7500 18700 26200
Carolyn:   2000 8500 10500 19000
Hansford: Wager $7,101 to cover Leonard.
Leonard: Wager at least $301 to cover Carolyn, but less than $6,700 to stay ahead of Hansford if you're both wrong.
Carolyn: You can't win on a triple stumper, so bet at least $1,500 to get ahead of Hansford on a sole get.

Actual results: Carolyn wagered $1,000, Leonard bet everything, and Hansford wagered $8,000. Everyone got FJ wrong, and Leonard won by $100 (Hansford's overwager canceling out his).
By betting everything, Leonard overwagered by $800, but by rounding up to the next thousand, Hansford overwagered by $899. I think it's reasonable under certain circumstances for a player who finished behind another player after FJ1 to leave enough money behind in FJ2 to cover the day 1 deficit to that player, in case that player drops to $0 on FJ2. (See Jeremy Bate in the 2000 ToC finals.) If Hansford decided, "Okay, Leonard led me by $1,000 going into this game, so I'll save myself $1,100," and accordingly bet $7,800, that also would have been enough to cover Leonard and would have saved him the tournament.

For Carolyn's part, she underwagered by $500, which should have sealed her fate as a runner-up, but Hansford (and Leonard for that matter) made sure it was still possible for her to win on a sole get. (I probably should edit my recommendation for her, though, since the recommended minimum wouldn't be enough to win in a sole get if Leonard bet below the recommended maximum.)