Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:41 pm In the archive a number of suggestions come up for changing "true Daily Double" to "True Daily Double" and I'm curious how some board members think about that one way or another.
I'd be fine with that but I'm fine with things as is, so it doesn't seem worth the trouble. I get the point of the suggestion, of course. Contestants tend to use the phrase as though it's capitalized, a trademark of the show. Of course they do that with the full sentence as well: "Let's Make It a True Daily Double". And capitalizing that every time would be a bit much. Probably just as well to let visitors to the archive supply the capitals in their head.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:41 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:41 pm In the archive a number of suggestions come up for changing "true Daily Double" to "True Daily Double" and I'm curious how some board members think about that one way or another.
I'd be fine with that but I'm fine with things as is, so it doesn't seem worth the trouble. I get the point of the suggestion, of course. Contestants tend to use the phrase as though it's capitalized, a trademark of the show. Of course they do that with the full sentence as well: "Let's Make It a True Daily Double". And capitalizing that every time would be a bit much. Probably just as well to let visitors to the archive supply the capitals in their head.
Upper case if correct, lower case if it's a miss. Let the contestant decide if they capitalized on the opportunity. ;)
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

The USA Today crossword is quite different with Erik Agard in charge. Today's 8/17 puzzle worked in ORDOESITEXPLODE for a Langston Hughes line and the X crossed with THEFIRENEXTTIME for a Baldwin book.

Curious about archive usage for the Baldwin book I found a duplicate clue: http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I believe I have always used the convention of capitalizing True in TDD (maybe?), I suppose on the quasi-trademark theory, but I'm open to rethinking that.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:13 pm The USA Today crossword is quite different with Erik Agard in charge. Today's 8/17 puzzle worked in ORDOESITEXPLODE for a Langston Hughes line and the X crossed with THEFIRENEXTTIME for a Baldwin book.
Erik's been quite clear that he's hoping to taking crosswords in a different direction.

https://time.com/5871704/erik-agard-usa ... diversity/
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Holzhauer.png
Holzhauer.png (457.65 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

I like it!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

As much as I love baseball, their unwritten rules are a bunch of crap and just need to go away.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

James lives rent-free in quite a few former contestants' heads. I bet they still believe he created that website. :roll:
People don't have to like him, but they do have to abide by their own rule of "Treat Jeopardy contestants the way you want to be treated." The stuff some contestants have said about him is far, far worse than anything he reportedly said about anyone else.
econgator wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:43 pm As much as I love baseball, their unwritten rules are a bunch of crap and just need to go away.
Agreed.
Hoping for a third lap
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

There is no time limit in baseball. This isn’t a quarterback throwing a 50 yard pass with a 20 point lead with a minute to go.

If you don’t want to give up a grand slam, don’t load the bases and then go 3-0 on the next batter.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

econgator wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:43 pm As much as I love baseball, their unwritten rules are a bunch of crap and just need to go away.
Unwritten rules in all sports should either be written down or removed. I'm thinking of things like the so-called "code of fighting" in hockey as well.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:48 pm I believe I have always used the convention of capitalizing True in TDD (maybe?), I suppose on the quasi-trademark theory, but I'm open to rethinking that.
True or true does not seem clear cut based on the posts.

Another one that has come up is "transcendentalism" as a response is in lower case and a suggestion wants an upper case T. Yes, no, maybe, so?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:51 pm Another one that has come up is "transcendentalism" as a response is in lower case and a suggestion wants an upper case T. Yes, no, maybe, so?
I'd say yes. Other movements I see (Romanticism, Neoclassicism, etc.) are capitalized.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:06 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:51 pm Another one that has come up is "transcendentalism" as a response is in lower case and a suggestion wants an upper case T. Yes, no, maybe, so?
I'd say yes. Other movements I see (Romanticism, Neoclassicism, etc.) are capitalized.
On the other hand, the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy doesn't capitalize it in the text-
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/transcendentalism/

But on another hand, judging from Amazon "Look Inside" and a site devoted to Emerson, he capitalized it-
https://archive.vcu.edu/english/engweb/ ... alist.html
So take your pick... ;)
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Philosophy undergrad here. Be aware that it's been two years since my last foray into the topic, but I lean capitalize. Did a quick dive through some archived coursework, and both of my former teachers/professors that did units on the movement capitalized the term on all assignment sheets that I found. Further, as mentioned upthread, most reputable reference works (i.e. Brittanica) capitalize the term, as do the majority of the scholarly sources I skimmed.

For the contrarians, though, here's a published work that utilizes the lowercase (see page 271 - "Conclusion").
Last edited by threearruda on Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
davey

Post by davey »

threearruda wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:11 pm Philosophy undergrad here. Be aware that it's been two years since my last foray into the topic, but I lean capitalize. Did a quick dive through some archived coursework, and both of my former teachers/professors that did units on the movement capitalized the term on all assignment sheets that I found. Further, as mentioned upthread, most reputable reference works (i.e. Brittanica) capitalize the term....
The only reference work of any kind mentioned upthread, doesn't... :) However, Emerson's own usage should count for something...
But I would hope that anybody inclined to offer corrections would be able to ...Move beyond? Rise above?? Leave behind???What word am I looking for????...such distinctions... ;)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Brief update, I was able to make it through SHIELD eps 1-8 on the DVR and caught the rest off ABC.com.

*pout* But I guess now they can make that omnibus box set with AoS and Carter.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

We can all relate to this:

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Today's crossword in the USA Today had a clue:

Crucial (7)

I filled in DOORDIE and was certain all of my crosses were correct. My reaction was, "What the @#$& is "doordie" and I was on my way from my chair to my computer to look up the definition. Before I could could cross the room it hit me that it was a 3-word answer. :oops:
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:15 am Today's crossword in the USA Today had a clue:

Crucial (7)

I filled in DOORDIE and was certain all of my crosses were correct. My reaction was, "What the @#$& is "doordie" and I was on my way from my chair to my computer to look up the definition. Before I could could cross the room it hit me that it was a 3-word answer. :oops:
Multiword answers are a consistent blind spot for me in Crosswords.