Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

Post by Blue Lion »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:31 am Had Elizabeth, but somehow thought that the full name was Elizabethtown.
That was the city's original name.

When I was growing up, our local water utility was called the Elizabethtown Water Company (it is now called New Jersey American Water). The old name still appears on the World's Tallest Watersphere in Union, NJ, the town in which I grew up.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Blue Lion wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:23 pm
triviawayne wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:31 am Had Elizabeth, but somehow thought that the full name was Elizabethtown.
That was the city's original name.

When I was growing up, our local water utility was called the Elizabethtown Water Company (it is now called New Jersey American Water). The old name still appears on the World's Tallest Watersphere in Union, NJ, the town in which I grew up.
update: it was accepted
Total game show career losings = $171,522
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

Wow, got super lucky in MD5 and won 7(3)-6(5)

DEFENCE DEFENCE lol

I was surprised they assigned 3 to "Asteroids"
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

I guess I'm in for one of "those" seasons.

Got 5 right, earned 6 points; opponent got 5 right, earned 7 points because his .222 in World History failed me.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I thought for sure that I lost on yesterday's set, but I got lucky with a 4(4)-3(3) win.

I knew Manhattan clam chowder from stocking the soup aisle at Publix, and I should have known Heart from working there since "These Dreams" is part of the awful background music that I hear every day while working there. I remember awhile back looking up who sings that song and being surprised that it's Heart, but I could not recall it yesterday. Cost me 2 points.

I also made a good call switching the defensive assignments on Asteroids and coach, by making the latter the 0 pointer. It dawned on me that Asteroids might not be as easy as I originally thought it was from the Ceres connection.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I am not a clam chowder person by any stretch of the imagination, so I just put New England, even though I pictured that as more milky/creamy than tomato-y. And I switched at the last second from Robert Mugabe to Ian Smith, who was the guy who was president of Southern Rhodesia from independence until it renamed itself Zimbabwe and Mugabe took over. As I made the switch, I said to myself, "I hope I am not overthinking this and the answer isn't just Mugabe."
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I got credit for Asteroid (sing.)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bluejaylink wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:34 am Wow, got super lucky in MD5 and won 7(3)-6(5)
Already have a Buckner win. Nice!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Off to a great start back in E. I am 2-2-1 with one win by forfeit. The two people I beat have a combined record of 0-10.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:42 am
bluejaylink wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:34 am Wow, got super lucky in MD5 and won 7(3)-6(5)
I've now played 655 total matches and still don't have either a Buckner win or loss.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:27 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:42 am
I've now played 655 total matches and still don't have either a Buckner win or loss.
Nor do I in the same 655 as you (although I do have a tie).
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Yesterday was a disaster. I couldn't remember which one was which between gorillas and chimps and went the wrong way, picked Memphis over Nashville, and somehow allowed my brain to type library instead of lighthouse. At least I still would have lost even if I got all three.

Jamie Lee Curtis being a children's book author was definitely a fact that I had heard before, but I would have never thought of her from the question. I guessed Charlize Theron.

My only get was Sony, which was an educated guess.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

My DE for my career is .704. This season, it's a whopping .500. I've had 5 straight games where I've given a 0 to a question my opponent missed. Ouch!

Somehow, though, it's only affected wins and losses in 2 of the matches--I'm 3-1-1 over those games. Either my defense needs to get better quickly or I'd better hope that luck doesn't run out.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Weird defense on me with 3 for Sony and 0 for Nashville. Did not matter when winning 6(4)-0(1).

Julie Andrews for me on the children's author in failing to grasp what "Guest" meant in all the wordage.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

StevenH wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:01 am Yesterday was a disaster. I couldn't remember which one was which between gorillas and chimps and went the wrong way, picked Memphis over Nashville, and somehow allowed my brain to type library instead of lighthouse. At least I still would have lost even if I got all three.

Jamie Lee Curtis being a children's book author was definitely a fact that I had heard before, but I would have never thought of her from the question. I guessed Charlize Theron.

My only get was Sony, which was an educated guess.
I did the same exact thing with the gorillas/chimps and library! I managed to get gallery and Sony, but those two questions cost me the match.

I spent the majority of the Jamie Lee Curtis question trying to remember who was married to Christopher Guest. It never came to me unfortunately, but I did watch Best In Show last night in honor of National Dog Day and MD6.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Oh yeah, there is that 3-named actress who is married to Christopher Guest, and I have a vague recollection of him being a lord or baron or something.

Confidently answers Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

Sigh.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

boson wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:40 am Oh yeah, there is that 3-named actress who is married to Christopher Guest, and I have a vague recollection of him being a lord or baron or something.

Confidently answers Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

Sigh.
You were on the right track since she's actually married to Brad Hall and Julia, Brad, and Christopher were all SNL cast members during the 84-85 season.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Just want to say thanks to DoT for the answer to the Lipscomb question. :)
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Name any one of the four solo albums released by the members of the rock band Kiss in 1978. Note, each title has two words, and a full title is required.

I have a bit of an issue with this one; so many times when someone leaves a band for a side project, or new permanent project, it is known as their "solo" project.

I went with Frehley's Comet, ended with a loss instead of a tie. OK, he had a band, but Michael Jackson's "Thriller" is known as a solo album, even though Toto did much of the "band" work.

Thoughts?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:46 am Name any one of the four solo albums released by the members of the rock band Kiss in 1978. Note, each title has two words, and a full title is required.

I have a bit of an issue with this one; so many times when someone leaves a band for a side project, or new permanent project, it is known as their "solo" project.

I went with Frehley's Comet, ended with a loss instead of a tie. OK, he had a band, but Michael Jackson's "Thriller" is known as a solo album, even though Toto did much of the "band" work.

Thoughts?
I don't see what your issue is.

I kicked myself for never letting it cross my mind that the albums might be named after the artists, especially since "each title has two words, and a full title is required" struck me as odd before I tossed it aside without a second thought.