Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

Post by Blue Lion »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:51 am I knew EBITDA but didn’t pay attention before submitting and put EBIDTA. Turned a win into a tie.

I misread the question about Scotland and thought he was asking for a term for what was beyond the frontier and put horizon.
I made the very same mistake on EBITDlA. Not that it mattered, my opponent had a 9(6).
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

I could not be more thrilled to be in 136th place after the round one reveal. I came very close to maximizing the points I could get with the nine that I answered correctly.

It's going to be a hard fall for me in round two. I would love to still be above the cut line but it's going to be iffy.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

jjwaymee wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:44 am I could not be more thrilled to be in 136th place after the round one reveal. I came very close to maximizing the points I could get with the nine that I answered correctly.

It's going to be a hard fall for me in round two. I would love to still be above the cut line but it's going to be iffy.
Congrats! Two bad moneys (one ridiculous guess on
Spoiler
colt 45
that I moneyed for no good reason) and I'm in 348th place, with little chance of making the cut. I got 8 right, so I'm fine with my performance. At the very least, I demolished the score of my rundle-mate who put up a 9(6) against me in regular play yesterday.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

boson wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:02 am Congrats! Two bad moneys (one ridiculous guess on
Spoiler
colt 45
that I moneyed for no good reason) and I'm in 348th place, with little chance of making the cut. I got 8 right, so I'm fine with my performance.
I completely understand the temptation to money one of those "uncertain" questions. You figure if you don't know it cold then it's going to be hard and, ergo, worth more points. I do it all the time in the LL Classics.
At the very least, I demolished the score of my rundle-mate who put up a 9(6) against me in regular play yesterday.
I know that Thorsten comes down hard on the Torches and Pitchforks rhetoric over on his message boards so, since we are here and not there...C'mon. Three right in that set and you are supposedly a .764 A Rundler? I'm hoping your rundle-mate isn't around next season. Along with many others that can't muster more than 25% correct when they are being watched.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I once wrote a question on Gentleman Jim...and still could not pull it. I also feel kind of dumb for never having heard of the Delmarva Peninsula, though I have only ever made two (very brief) trips to the Mid-Atlantic region. That one didn't play super easy, so I guess that makes me feel a bit better that I didn't try to think of anything outside of Europe on that question.

I also thought that it was called the "bundle of isb." That was a beautiful piece of question writing by the Commish!

I'm still sitting 3 points above the relegation zone in my rundle, but I have the fewest TCA. I feel like I have lost out on an inordinate amount of 50/50 guesses and questions where the answer was at the tip of my tongue, but I probably am still extremely lucky to be above the relegation zone.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I learned of Delmarva in LL56, which made things easy for me when it showed up in the question this time. (Too bad EBITDA didn't stick with me from when it was in a question in LL52.)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

That was the best TOM, one single character making a sixty-two percenter out of what would have been a single digit!

Opponent from Maryland? That's getting a zero.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jjwaymee wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:16 am I know that Thorsten comes down hard on the Torches and Pitchforks rhetoric over on his message boards so, since we are here and not there...C'mon. Three right in that set and you are supposedly a .764 A Rundler? I'm hoping your rundle-mate isn't around next season. Along with many others that can't muster more than 25% correct when they are being watched.
OTOH it's 12 questions. Three would definitely be a bad day for someone with a .764 lifetime, but it's probably not out of the realm of possibility. Now, let's see the scores after the second round...

Playing it on my own without pressure I got 8 right for 284 points.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Woohoo - made the cut in the championship to the final with 10 right in round 2! Congratulations to the several boardies who also did!.

I missed question 5 and moneyed it:
Most comic strip characters never age. Notable exceptions include those in Frank King's Gasoline Alley, Gary Trudeau's Doonesbury, and the Patterson family in what strip written and drawn by Lynn Johnston from 1979 to 2008?
Spoiler
I said 'For better or worse'... Forgetting the second 'for'. Oof - that one hurt.
Though I'm pleased, I'm embarrassed everyone will now see my pathetic round 4 score... At least you won't see the random guess answers.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Playing from the sidelines, I got 5 right each set.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got two the first round and three the second. Guess that’s why I am in E.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

boson wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:34 pm Woohoo - made the cut in the championship to the final with 10 right in round 2! Congratulations to the several boardies who also did!.
Nice job!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got 9 or 10 right in round 1*, and 11 right in round 2**. I actually fully played along with round 2, moneying five questions, and I ended up with the same five moneys as DhuwaliaR, who got the highest round 2 score and is currently in the overall lead (except the one I missed was one of the ones I moneyed).
I did get three wrong, but I believe if I had been actually playing, I would have thought more carefully and changed "revolt" to "rebellion." I also guessed Sudan for Ethiopia, and had no chance on Colt 45 (although Five Alive somehow came to mind as a possibility).
I only missed the pepper. Thinking it must be named for a Latin American capital, I listed all the countries from Mexico to Uruguay to see if any of their capitals rang true, completely forgetting that there are non-mainland Latin American countries. What's worse is that while naming countries in South America, I realized that the one non-country there, French Guiana, has the capital of Cayenne, and I thought, "Ooh, that's the trick! The question never said it was a national capital!" and I ended up confidently going for (and moneying) the Cayenne pepper.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

Figured out the question was referring to Mary Shelley but had no idea on her maiden name. Lucky for me I'm 4/5 on literature questions so my opponent assigned 0 to that question.

My rundle seems pretty tough for a rookie one. My % is .606 but I'm 5-4-2
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

bluejaylink wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:36 am Figured out the question was referring to Mary Shelley but had no idea on her maiden name. Lucky for me I'm 4/5 on literature questions so my opponent assigned 0 to that question.
Mary Shelley's maiden name was Godwin. Wollstonecraft was her middle name, and her mother's last name.
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

Was anyone else given credit for "Crystal" on the Riedel question? I was happy to see Thorston's leniency for that answer.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Troydozzy wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:23 am Was anyone else given credit for "Crystal" on the Riedel question? I was happy to see Thorston's leniency for that answer.
A Facebook friend's recap mentioned giving that answer and getting credit.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:53 am
Troydozzy wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:23 am Was anyone else given credit for "Crystal" on the Riedel question? I was happy to see Thorston's leniency for that answer.
A Facebook friend's recap mentioned giving that answer and getting credit.
That should be correct. Riedel makes fancy crystal wine glasses in different shapes to enhance the flavors of wine.

From their own description for their pinot noir glasses: Riedel Vinum is the world standard for fine varietal wine glasses. In fine crystal, elegant proportions and balance, and dishwasher safe. Designed to enhance medium-bodied red wines like Pinot Noir, Barolo, Beaujolais, and Burgundy reds.

They are very pretty, but cost a pretty penny.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Congrats to sometime-boardie Troy Meyer on another LL championship! 11 correct on both round 3 and 4 in this championship is just plain ridiculous.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

The number of questions in the championship that I got right while playing from the sidelines by round: 5, 3, 2, 5. Weird that round 4 played easier for me than rounds 2 and 3.

Congrats to MeyerT on winning yet another scarf!