Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:22 am Probably better that I continue extra TPIR chatter here. For Bob vs. Drew I look at Ten Chances. I always enjoyed seeing Bob get frustrated that contestants did not know the ends in zero "rule" while Drew takes it all in a more good-natured fashion. Any time now that game comes up I always think of Bob whose blood pressure must have gone up each time that game was played as I fondly remember how mad the host would get. Watching at home, it's open season on players taking guesses ending with odd numbers.

Drew has proven to be a good choice as replacement host. One lack of skill for Drew that drives me crazy is Punch A Bunch as Drew consistently fails to be able to recall a sequence of three holes. If the contestant gets four punches, then forget it about it, as Drew 100% of the time needs off camera assistance to remember the order.
Drew's sometimes on his own mind, but you know what, as someone who can get distracted, known to play with things in my hands, I enjoy it more. Bob's "I'm famous, everyone's here to see me" shtick gets old really fast. Most of us know Drew isn't going to remember all the games properly and will make some mistakes once in a while. It happens. Just a difference of the way the two men are.

It's been obvious for a while it seems like Ken Jennings would end up being Alex's replacement. Even if James & Brad end up on The Chase, where both will fit wonderfully I might add, Ken Jennings is Jeopardy as much as Alex Trebek is Jeopardy. If you asked 100 people on the street what's the first thing that comes to mind with Jeopardy, Ken Jennings has to come up. It will be different, but change is change and unfortunately we don't know how much longer we'll have Alex. Every day on stage 4 pancreatic cancer is a gift.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I always enjoy a good map. This one highlights all of the state borders in the US (and parts of Mexico and Canada) that have rivers as the boundary.

riverbordersus_grwl_2020.jpg
riverbordersus_grwl_2020.jpg (240.15 KiB) Viewed 3009 times
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

alietr wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:25 am I always enjoy a good map. This one highlights all of the state borders in the US (and parts of Mexico and Canada) that have rivers as the boundary.

riverbordersus_grwl_2020.jpg
Weird (and incorrect, I think) that the st. Lawrence near me (Lake Ontario to South of Montreal) isn't highlighted. At first I thought national borders weren't done, but there are several others done. In fact, it looks like other rivers between great lakes aren't noted.
Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Foretopman »

The north/south bit of the border between Alabama and Florida is the Perdido RIver, but is not marked.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

It looks like the N border of OR is labeled Hood River but that is pretty clearly the Columbia River.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

As shows get back in the studio it's going to interesting to see how things are handled. Kelly & Ryan are together though separated by distance as well as a split-screen in use. No audience and bare bones crew. That's better than the summer when the hosts were on different coasts trying to do the shows.

What it looks like:
Spoiler
Thanks to less than vigilant policing on YT I'm able to find the show early and don't have to wait until 9PT to see it when I choose to watch ahead of the local airing.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Pat Sajak calls the thing the contestants will slip over the spokes to spin the wheel, "The White Thing". Someone here has to be able to come up with a better name.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

WheelGuard
Spin Cozy
Wheel Caddy
Spin-O-Matic 5000
Wheel Assist
Spinny Dreadful
HandSaver 3000
Spinny Hardaway (regular or Lil)

Ok I got all the bad ideas out of the way, someone pick up the good ones.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:55 pm WheelGuard
Spin Cozy
Wheel Caddy
Spin-O-Matic 5000
Wheel Assist
Spinny Dreadful
HandSaver 3000
Spinny Hardaway (regular or Lil)

Ok I got all the bad ideas out of the way, someone pick up the good ones.
How about these: https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/Thesaurus:condom
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Spin Doctor
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Sanispoke
Spondom
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Bob Harris' term for the J! signaling device could work here too--Palm Hoopty.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Fun fact of the day: The opening of Apollo 13 (June 30 1995) is now further back in time to us than the safe splashdown of the real Apollo 13 (April 17 1970) was to the opening of that film.

It's too bad they didn't make Apollo 13: The Movie about the making of Apollo 13. There's still time. The role of Tom Hanks can be played by Colin Hanks who is only 4 years older than his dad was in 1995.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

So, I'm watching Sunday Night Football and they show something from the 4K Skycam inside the stadium. What's the point? NBC doesn't broadcast in 4K, so the picture will look exactly the same, even on my 4K TV.

It was like when HDTV was just coming out and screens were shown and everyone gushed about how beautiful it was. Ummm, either I already have an HDTV and know how good it looks or I have just a regular TV (which was the case at that time) and couldn't tell the difference anyway.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:10 pm So, I'm watching Sunday Night Football and they show something from the 4K Skycam inside the stadium. What's the point? NBC doesn't broadcast in 4K, so the picture will look exactly the same, even on my 4K TV.
I wish I had a 4K TV for things to not look any better on.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

econgator wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:10 pm So, I'm watching Sunday Night Football and they show something from the 4K Skycam inside the stadium. What's the point? NBC doesn't broadcast in 4K, so the picture will look exactly the same, even on my 4K TV.

It was like when HDTV was just coming out and screens were shown and everyone gushed about how beautiful it was. Ummm, either I already have an HDTV and know how good it looks or I have just a regular TV (which was the case at that time) and couldn't tell the difference anyway.
do they stream in 4K...if they do, that would probably be the point.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

econgator wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:10 pm It was like when HDTV was just coming out and screens were shown and everyone gushed about how beautiful it was. Ummm, either I already have an HDTV and know how good it looks or I have just a regular TV (which was the case at that time) and couldn't tell the difference anyway.
I assume if this board existed 55 years ago, you would have complained about NBC taking the time at the beginning of every J! episode to tell the viewer that it was in living color. ("If I have a color TV, I already know it's in color, and if I have a black-and-white TV, I don't care! That's 10 seconds of a stupid peacock that they could be using to play another clue!")
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

trainman wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:36 pm
econgator wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:10 pm It was like when HDTV was just coming out and screens were shown and everyone gushed about how beautiful it was. Ummm, either I already have an HDTV and know how good it looks or I have just a regular TV (which was the case at that time) and couldn't tell the difference anyway.
I assume if this board existed 55 years ago, you would have complained about NBC taking the time at the beginning of every J! episode to tell the viewer that it was in living color. ("If I have a color TV, I already know it's in color, and if I have a black-and-white TV, I don't care! That's 10 seconds of a stupid peacock that they could be using to play another clue!")
That's different. At least with that, I could say, "Hey, this is supposed to be in color, so why isn't it? What's wrong?". With the early HD thing, they weren't yet doing the entire broadcast in HD, they were just giving you a 5 second clip of what it could look like, which is utterly useless.
triviawayne wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:17 pm do they stream in 4K...if they do, that would probably be the point.
From a quick glance, it doesn't seem so.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:26 pm
triviawayne wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:17 pm do they stream in 4K...if they do, that would probably be the point.
From a quick glance, it doesn't seem so.
Doesn't seem like -we- get the 8K picture, but it lets us get better 2Ks when they zoom in

https://www.sportsvideo.org/2020/09/10/ ... back-home/
...because the camera shoots in 8K and records in a 180-degree immersive field of view, the production team can reframe and manipulate replays to provide more-definitive views. For example, if there’s a question about a receiver’s catching a pass on the sideline, the technology can freeze the entire image, zoom in, and focus on the player’s hands to confirm possession and then pan down to the player’s feet and zoom in to confirm that both touched the ground before going out of bounds.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:26 pm
trainman wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:36 pm
That's different. At least with that, I could say, "Hey, this is supposed to be in color, so why isn't it? What's wrong?". With the early HD thing, they weren't yet doing the entire broadcast in HD, they were just giving you a 5 second clip of what it could look like, which is utterly useless.
So it's more like if NBC had run promos in '65 saying, "This is what the program would look like if you had a color set!"