Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS BUILDINGS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This Rome building with a name from the Greek was described by Michaelangelo as coming from “angelic and not human design”

Cory Barger: 12300+11500=23800 (New Champ)
Jeff Rich: 21600-8400=13200
Franki Butler: 11600-11550=50

Correct response:
Spoiler
Pantheon (Jeff – the Forum) (Franki – St. Peter’s Basilica)

Daily Doubles
Cory: 2000+1500
Jeff: 7200+2000
Jeff: 17600+2000

Coryats
Cory: 11400
Jeff: 21200
Franki: 11600

Combined: 44,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Cory: 3900
Jeff: 4800
Franki: 2400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Great to see a new episode. 59/61 clues seen.

Jeff could have won the game with larger wagers on his two correct DDs. Jeff could have won the game by solving the FJ! clue. Nope and Nope for good news for Cory making her sole solve of the FJ! clue work.

1846, 1847 & 1849 left Alex to provide the correct gold rush year.

I was able to find out more about Franki's work in TV writing by searching using her full first name.

The FJ! clue had me match Cory for a famous Rome building. I saw no reason to go with the Flavian Amphitheatre and I was not going to Pavlov the Sistine Chapel.

It's a little hard to read the displays, but the J! official email about this new season includes a screen shot of the players with their responses and FJ! wagers. No spoiler for me though silly for the show itself to send that out before many see the game.
Golf

Post by Golf »

So good to have fresh shows, a tiny bit of normalcy in these unique times.

Unfortunately Jeff turned a win into a loss due to sub-optimal wagering. But I’ll wager that’s not the last time it happens this season month week.

This FJ will poll high thanks to the common Roman building Greek connection. Did anybody actually continue reading past Greek?

Looks as though the new earliest CBS start time didn’t affect our archivist as he’s right on top of it. If I say thanks now will that hold me through the entire season?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:54 pm So good to have fresh shows, a tiny bit of normalcy in these unique times.

Unfortunately Jeff turned a win into a loss due to sub-optimal wagering. But I’ll wager that’s not the last time it happens this season month week.

This FJ will poll high thanks to the common Roman building Greek connection. Did anybody actually continue reading past Greek?

Looks as though the new earliest CBS start time didn’t affect our archivist as he’s right on top of it. If I say thanks now will that hold me through the entire season?
You are welcome for the whole season. It's later than last season, but still on the early side considering most airings. I'm not moving to Tyler, TX just to get the 11CT airing. :)

This is five minutes of the episode that should answer questions about particulars some may be curious about: https://archive.org/details/2020-09-14mini

CCs activated to help with archiving later today.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Alex: "We are the first quiz show to come back on the air in the COVID-19 era."

You forgot one important part of the statement Alex. "In the United States."
Douglas Squasoni
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Interesting way to start off the season. Jeff certainly looked like he had it in the bag, but sadly poor wagering on his part did him in. Nevertheless, it's good to see a new Jeopardy episode after a long 3-month drought!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Interesting how Alex said the champion would be back "in a few weeks"; not only will it be interesting to see if that time frame holds true, but how they go about doing that if it is.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:09 pm
Golf wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:54 pm So good to have fresh shows, a tiny bit of normalcy in these unique times.

You are welcome for the whole season. It's later than last season, but still on the early side considering most airings. I'm not moving to Tyler, TX just to get the 11CT airing. :)

This is five minutes of the episode that should answer questions about particulars some may be curious about: https://archive.org/details/2020-09-14mini

CCs activated to help with archiving later today.
It’s also on at 11CT in Jackson, TN which is just an hour away from me but I’m in Memphis, TN so I get it at 3:30. Oddly enough in Jackson for the weekend repeats, Wheel airs at 6:30 on the main channel of WBBJ 7 while Jeopardy also airs at 6:30 on a sub channel also on WBBJ 7.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Working on the archiving and wanted to mention it while I remember: Lenn Sakata and Ron Washington (Juan Bell died in 2016) will be floored to see their names in a clue. If any of them happen to be watching.

When it's just not your day? Jeff works at Mt. Wilson Observatory and did not get in first on the galaxy clue that mentioned his workplace. Have fun at a virtual viewing party or chat with work chums after that one.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

One down, 229 to go: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6821

Yes, purposely jinxing the season to cut down on the number of games and to get the vault open again this summer. ;)

One more for Jeff's "What if" column is his neg on the "Four Seasons" composer. You need to step on the J! stage and know the right guy. Not only did he lose the $1600, he served up a costly rebound to Cory.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

J! is going to get boring in a hurry with everyone being from SoCal. :(
Easy FJ. :mrgreen:
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Muddler was my only miss.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Lake Placid, Topic, 1848, Tau, Celtic Cross

It's good to be back. :D
Douglas Squasoni
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Side Bar was YEKIOYD to the extreme. I only knew "muddler" because I've actually had a mojito.

1 Word, 2 Meanings took me a while to get going.

President & Accounted For was my only 0/5.

Wasn't expecting a 4/5 in Opera.

Not even a guess on FJ! Just hit a brick wall and couldn't think of anything. Correct response isn't ringing any bells for me.

Lach Trash: 1848, tau
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I got stupid and said Parthenon, only realizing my mistake about the 32 second mark. Oh well.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

econgator wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:32 pm I got stupid and said Parthenon, only realizing my mistake about the 32 second mark. Oh well.
That was my immediate thought, knew it was wrong but similar, couldn’t get it.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:59 pm One down, 229 to go: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6821

Yes, purposely jinxing the season to cut down on the number of games and to get the vault open again this summer. ;)

One more for Jeff's "What if" column is his neg on the "Four Seasons" composer. You need to step on the J! stage and know the right guy. Not only did he lose the $1600, he served up a costly rebound to Cory.
I figured he was just trying for a runaway, nothing for him to lose at that point as he’d still have the lead.
William Bermudez
Contributor

Post by William Bermudez »

Coryat of 22400 for me; I did a lot better in Italian opera than I had expected, but forgot the category and would have said "pork skins" instead of rinds.

New set and logo looks great. Anyone else hope the separate lecterns are permanent even if they move them closer in the future?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I got Pantheon right away.

Something is weird with the sound mix. The music was drowning out Alex's words.

The Statue of Liberty has nothing to do with immigration. It was a gift to the United States from France on the occasion of our hundredth anniversary.

Frankie's story was ridiculously boring.
Last edited by floridagator on Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.