Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $42,200 (47 R, 2W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Brainfart of the day: could not come up with Hugo Chavez in time, even though I could see his face in my head.

Negged with pestle for muddler and Milky Way for Andromeda.

FJ... didn't feel super confident in my answer, but what other Roman building has a Greek name that has something to do with gods?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I liked Franki’s story. A whirlwind trip to London is one of those quirky stories that are fun.

I thought of the right place but went with the Basilca. I didn’t include a saint so I don’t know if I would have gotten credit even if it was right.

Jeff will fret about 1848, Vivaldi, and Roseanne for a long time. He gets those and FJ doesn’t matter.

I liked the look of the new set. Alex at the podium for FJ and the chat was a flashback to when he had his surgery. Pat standing 20 feet away from the player in the WOF bonus round just looked strange. But at least he isn’t holding her hand to get her to the mark.
Last edited by Bamaman on Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
choplakecity
Contributor

Post by choplakecity »

Does anyone have any word on eligibility for those who live auditioned in 2019? My audition was in Nashville in May and my eighteen months would be up on November 1st. Is that getting pushed due to COVID and pushed again due to the locals only stipulations? :|
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

choplakecity wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:21 pm Does anyone have any word on eligibility for those who live auditioned in 2019? My audition was in Nashville in May and my eighteen months would be up on November 1st. Is that getting pushed due to COVID and pushed again due to the locals only stipulations? :|
My understanding is your eligibility was extended by the length of the pause in production, which is about 6 months and counting.
My guess is until they start taping with out of town contestants again, but anybody with better information please correct me.

Here is the official source:

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-eve ... 19-updates
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Golf wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:54 pm Looks as though the new earliest CBS start time didn’t affect our archivist as he’s right on top of it. If I say thanks now will that hold me through the entire season?
As long as you bookend it and say thanks again at the close.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:17 pm Alex: "We are the first quiz show to come back on the air in the COVID-19 era."

You forgot one important part of the statement Alex. "In the United States."
No, no. He's a US citizen now. That gives him the right to not consider other countries. :D
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

I was expecting a reversal on J10 SENTENCING $800: This is the subject at hand; this type of "sentence" tells the main idea of a paragraph

Franki guessed "thesis" which wasn't as good as their desired "topic" (which I got). But it doesn't seem exactly wrong either.

Even if he'd clammed on those last two negs, Jeff still wouldn't have had quite enough for a runaway. Rough break for him, but I'm happy for the new champ. Let's hope Dudamel was watching.

I went back and forth between St. Peter's Basilica and Pantheon on this FJ. Couldn't recall if "basilica" had a Greek derivation. (It does. I forgot my ancient Greek: basileus = king.) And of course "Peter" has a Greek derivation, but I didn't think they'd rely on that. Balance that against the Pantheon which is definitely Greek and also has a Michelango sculpture in it. I finally settled there.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

floridagator wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:01 pm I got Pantheon right away.

Something is weird with the sound mix. The music was drowning out Alex's words.

The Statue of Liberty has nothing to do with immigration. It was a gift to the United States from France on the occasion of our hundredth anniversary.

Frankie's story was ridiculously boring.
Maybe take a break from your spewing of garbage and learn something. Saying the Statue of Liberty has nothing to do with immigration is just laughably ignorant. Here's a place to start.

http://www.cityreliquary.org/lady-liber ... migration/
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Muddler vs pestle...I'm gonna neg myself, even if they're both pretty much the same thing. I'd say 96% of the time I've seen "muddle" or "muddled" in the context of drinks, it's been either as a verb or as an adjective. For some reason I've never really thought of "muddlers", even if I know exactly what they are and would probably pull it out if given a long time and I were pushed away from pestle.

That first daily double that boiled down to Roman numeral X = 10 just seemed WAY too easy to me for anything but a top row clue in the J! round during the now-defunct Kids Week. I mean, the last few ToCs have had "Opera titles into Roman numerals into Etruscans", where knowing the entire Roman numeral system is basically a prerequisite.

I got confused about the "lucky" baseball player, and thought it was an actual nickname, and not a reference to Gehrig's famous "luckiest man" speech.

I was too quick and wrote down Coliseum, and didn't think about it until I had about 5 seconds left...then, I suddenly had a panic flashback to my 1989 Latin class where I learned -um is a common Latin - ie ROMAN, not Greek - ending. Oops.

Oh, and a hearty thank you x230 to the archivists.
Last edited by talkingaway on Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:38 pm I was expecting a reversal on J10 SENTENCING $800: This is the subject at hand; this type of "sentence" tells the main idea of a paragraph

Franki guessed "thesis" which wasn't as good as their desired "topic" (which I got). But it doesn't seem exactly wrong either.
The thesis statement tells the main idea of the entire work, not a paragraph.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Me inside the Pantheon on Easter a few years back. Wasn't going to miss this one.

Andy Pantheon.png
Andy Pantheon.png (191.92 KiB) Viewed 2767 times
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Season 37!!!

Overall, the new design looks pretty good, but I don't love the Daily Double visual.

Relatively easy game but no luck on Final. I've spent so much time in France that I associate the Pantheon with Paris.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:41 pm

The Statue of Liberty has nothing to do with immigration. It was a gift to the United States from France on the occasion of our hundredth anniversary.

Maybe take a break from your spewing of garbage and learn something. Saying the Statue of Liberty has nothing to do with immigration is just laughably ignorant. Here's a place to start.

Thank you for adding to the collegiality of j-board. I would not trust any recent source on that point. You can look at the coverage from the siting and construction and dedication of the Statue of Liberty and from basically the first fifty years it existed and find no reference to immigration. Those who favor massive immigration have co-opted it as a symbol in the past 75 or 80 years.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:34 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:17 pm Alex: "We are the first quiz show to come back on the air in the COVID-19 era."

You forgot one important part of the statement Alex. "In the United States."
No, no. He's a US citizen now. That gives him the right to not consider other countries. :D
If we have to take that statement literally, "Wait...Wait...Don't Tell Me!" has been airing new episodes for months...
I'll admit with some others to cluelessly writing "Parthenon"... :oops: When Pantheon went through my head, I couldn't remember if there was a building with that name or not... :oops: :oops: Not a distinguished start to the season for me...
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

It seems that at least tonight, there's no rust after thirteen weeks away; I put up a $32,400 Coryat, with 38 R / 2 W. But I was wrong-footed on that Final; "Michelangelo" and "angelic" pointed me toward the Vatican, albeit with very weak confidence because I know that thanks to the Lateran Treaties of 1929, that building is in its own country. When Alex ruled correct, I thought "isn't it in Paris?"

May this high holy day on the calendar — the second Monday of September — find you and yours well, my fellow fans. I commend here the same thing I dropped on r/Jeopardy some hours ago:

Categories are written, clues are loaded in
Daily Doubles are placed, newcomers ready to win
COVID slowed it down, but our game is back
Three new players tonight, but much love to Zach!

Tell me if you're ready for a party, to see who'll be next to wreak havoc
Shout it loud and proud, and raise the roof right now, if you live for "thirty seconds, good luck!"…

Ready? Culver City, get ready
Ready? North America, get ready…

Are you ready for some trivia?!?!
A syndicated party!!!
Alex, Johnny, and - hey, Mike Richards - gettin' it kick started!
These days so much is wrong, we NEED something right…
Season 37 of Jeopardy! STARTS TONIGHT!

(Music by H. Williams Jr. Lyrics mine, inspired by Williams Jr. and the National Football League.)
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Glad to have it back during this wretched year. Long may you run.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:57 pm

Thank you for adding to the collegiality of j-board. I would not trust any recent source on that point. You can look at the coverage from the siting and construction and dedication of the Statue of Liberty and from basically the first fifty years it existed and find no reference to immigration. Those who favor massive immigration have co-opted it as a symbol in the past 75 or 80 years.
Somebody's never read "The New Colossus."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

floridagator wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:57 pm

Well, we don't exist in the era from the dedication of Liberty Enlightening the World (with all your pedantry, you didn't bother to use the -original- name? For SHAME!) to 50 years post. If we did, you'd have an argument.

Feel free to live in the past, but if you do, go all the way. Protest any clue that happens after 1936 because it hasn't happened yet. Otherwise you're just picking and choosing the parts of history you like and that's a great way to get yourself isolated.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
nadroj93
Contributor

Post by nadroj93 »

Great day for me! Started the season at $40,600 on Coryat.

Not much to complain about there, but I am a little irritated at myself for proudly saying "Full House" instead of "Roseanne" and Paganini instead of "Pagliacci." And I got stuck on Colisseum for final, but did manage all three DDs!
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:28 pmMy understanding is your eligibility was extended by the length of the pause in production, which is about 6 months and counting. My guess is until they start taping with out of town contestants again, but anybody with better information please correct me.
That would mean that my pool residency is about to run out in ten days or so. :(