Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Re: Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by trainman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:13 pm When it's just not your day? Jeff works at Mt. Wilson Observatory and did not get in first on the galaxy clue that mentioned his workplace. Have fun at a virtual viewing party or chat with work chums after that one.
I suspect Jeff's appearance on J! may not have been the first thing on the minds of the observatory staff today:

Bobcat Fire Bearing Down on Mount Wilson Observatory
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:20 pm Interesting how Alex said the champion would be back "in a few weeks"; not only will it be interesting to see if that time frame holds true, but how they go about doing that if it is.
I'm assuming they'll have to being him in as co-champ. Not sure how else they could do it. I'd guess they'll do it with a one game winner rather than a repeat champ.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:46 pm
triviawayne wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:20 pm Interesting how Alex said the champion would be back "in a few weeks"; not only will it be interesting to see if that time frame holds true, but how they go about doing that if it is.
I'm assuming they'll have to being him in as co-champ. Not sure how else they could do it. I'd guess they'll do it with a one game winner rather than a repeat champ.
Or Zach could get Weikled? http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=1767

trainman: Thanks for the fire update. Scary problems up, down and across the state.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:52 pm
Or Zach could get Weikled? http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=1767
What was the story there?
britt408
Contributor

Post by britt408 »

Dang it! Anyone else in Kansas City? I didn’t know it moved to Fox and didn’t think to check my DVR and missed it!

Was it strange without the audience?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:01 pm The Statue of Liberty has nothing to do with immigration. It was a gift to the United States from France on the occasion of our hundredth anniversary.
This is roughly as defensible an argument as claiming the Edmund Pettus Bridge has nothing to do with the civil rights movement.
britt408
Contributor

Post by britt408 »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:28 pm
choplakecity wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:21 pm Does anyone have any word on eligibility for those who live auditioned in 2019? My audition was in Nashville in May and my eighteen months would be up on November 1st. Is that getting pushed due to COVID and pushed again due to the locals only stipulations? :|
My understanding is your eligibility was extended by the length of the pause in production, which is about 6 months and counting.
My guess is until they start taping with out of town contestants again, but anybody with better information please correct me.

Here is the official source:

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-eve ... 19-updates
Same here. I auditioned May 30, 2019 in Denver. I understand it’s extended but the whole no out of towners worries me and I don’t see them allowing us any time soon.
I’m mainly curious when I can take the Anytime test again. May 2021?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:54 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:52 pm
What was the story there?
He was brought back nearly six months after losing his fifth game, only to lose in Brian Weikle's third game, when the latter set a single-day earnings record. As for why Phillip was brought back, we don't know for sure, but I think it seems likely that they determined the challenger who won in Phillip's fifth game got some overly generous breaks that made it possible for him to pull off the upset in FJ: not only in the FJ itself, but in STAIR-ING AT THE SCREEN $1,600.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got the Pantheon because I visited Rome and went inside it during the summer of 2010. As such, I know I would not have gotten it if it had been my FJ in the game that I lost from the lead in the season premiere 11 years ago today.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Nice to see that I was wrong, or at least overly pessimistic about the return of the show :D . Alex looks better than I expected, but I know they can hide anything with makeup and wardrobe.

The timing of our local station has changed and my DVR picked it up in progress with Alex finishing the opening explanations. Did Johnny Gilbert introduce the contestants and explain that "This ISSSSSS JEOPARDY!"? I will try to hack the DVR if it misses it again the net few days.

Objectively, the local players were of high quality and did a good job. The Spice Girls story was cute and the Beckham clue was the closest thing I know about them.

I said Pantheon and Hippodrome, and finally committed to Sistine because I didn't know where the Pantheon was or if it was extant in Michaelangelo's time or now. Based on the scary long-eared man-beast posting earlier, I guess it is still standing, but infested with failed gargoyle experiments :lol:.

Welcome back, J!, and boardies at the requisite 6 feet of distance.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:56 am Nice to see that I was wrong, or at least overly pessimistic about the return of the show :D . Alex looks better than I expected, but I know they can hide anything with makeup and wardrobe.

The timing of our local station has changed and my DVR picked it up in progress with Alex finishing the opening explanations. Did Johnny Gilbert introduce the contestants and explain that "This ISSSSSS JEOPARDY!"? I will try to hack the DVR if it misses it again the net few days.

Objectively, the local players were of high quality and did a good job. The Spice Girls story was cute and the Beckham clue was the closest thing I know about them.

I said Pantheon and Hippodrome, and finally committed to Sistine because I didn't know where the Pantheon was or if it was extant in Michaelangelo's time or now. Based on the scary long-eared man-beast posting earlier, I guess it is still standing, but infested with failed gargoyle experiments :lol:.

Welcome back, J!, and boardies at the requisite 6 feet of distance.
You don't have to keep 6 feet distance from this post on page 1 that has a video link for Johnny's opening: viewtopic.php?p=338527#p338527
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Small question for our judges: Is "Orpheus" just as good as "L'Orfeo"?

Also, it feels so good to be back :D
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Was great to have a new episode to watch. So glad a new season is about to play out.

For me, the highlight of this first episode of Season 37 was the opening montage...and that last cut of a younger Alex (still with dark hair) reminding me of the very early years of Jeopardy (and reminding me of his time on High Rollers).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

They'll just wait for a triple zero game.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:38 pm
Franki guessed "thesis" which wasn't as good as their desired "topic" (which I got). But it doesn't seem exactly wrong either.
I had to miss the season opener (boo, hiss), so please answer me a couple of questions.

1. Was Franki negged for "thesis sentence?" All the years I was in h.s./college, "thesis sentence" was the preferred term. I know that was back when the earth was cooling, but no way is that term wrong....

2. What happened to Zach Newkirk, who I thought was the returning champ from the last regular season game in June? He won 4 games and $85K and I certainly expected him to be in the season opener.
davey

Post by davey »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:31 am Small question for our judges: Is "Orpheus" just as good as "L'Orfeo"?

It's hard to believe they'd turn down a straight translation. Hélas, my own response, inexplicably, was Orphée, the French version and leaving off a syllable needed to get by...Together with missing FJ it really screwed up my game... :roll:
BTW, I notice that both Cory and Alex left out the article L' in identifying the opera.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

davey wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:44 am
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:31 am Small question for our judges: Is "Orpheus" just as good as "L'Orfeo"?

It's hard to believe they'd turn down a straight translation. Hélas, my own response, inexplicably, was Orphée, the French version and leaving off a syllable needed to get by...Together with missing FJ it really screwed up my game... :roll:
BTW, I notice that both Cory and Alex left out the article L' in identifying the opera.
I was leaning towards it being acceptable as well, similar to accepting "The Merry Widow", but wasn't sure if i was missing something in translation.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

John Boy wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:42 am
Franki guessed "thesis" which wasn't as good as their desired "topic" (which I got). But it doesn't seem exactly wrong either.
1. Was Franki negged for "thesis sentence?" All the years I was in h.s./college, "thesis sentence" was the preferred term. I know that was back when the earth was cooling, but no way is that term wrong....
I assume she was negged because thesis only fits one of the meanings given in the clue. It doesn’t really jive with “the subject at hand.” I was really thrown by the wording of the clue and got hung up on “this” being a demonstrative blah blah. I don’t think I’ve heard “topic sentence” in 40 years.
JemRiffster
Contributor

Post by JemRiffster »

John Boy wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:42 am
2. What happened to Zach Newkirk, who I thought was the returning champ from the last regular season game in June? He won 4 games and $85K and I certainly expected him to be in the season opener.
Alex said Zach wasn't able to travel from the East Coast (can't imagine why...) to tape the season premiere, so he will return in a "few weeks' time".
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

I didn't realize how much I missed J! in my evening routine until last night; it brings back a sense of normalcy. My boss accidentally FaceTimed me right at 7:30 and I quickly told him that new Jeopardy was on and promptly hung up on him. He has since apologized for interrupting my evening.

I, for one, LOVED Franki's story about seeing the Spice Girls reunion. It reminded me of the time I was awake for 28 hours just so I could drive to Chicago after work and see the On the Run II concert with Beyonce and Jay-Z. It's not the typical "how I met my spouse"/work/engagement story and also shows that people can stan girl groups from the 90s and still be Jeopardy smart!