2020 Jeopardy North American Audition Tour

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Re: 2020 Jeopardy North American Audition Tour

Post by squarekara »

ouachiouat wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:11 pm Does anybody know if these auditions are only going out from the anytime test, or also from the official test they had a few months back? I haven't done the anytime test yet.
I'm pretty sure my husband hasn't taken the anytime test either, so this batch must be from the last online extravaganza.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Great to hear of Zoom invites from places that aren’t SoCal but I’m guessing that us Canadians will probably be shut out of them for a while as the closed border will make it impossible to tape for now.

(It won’t be the first time that circumstances beyond our control shit out Canadians but I hope this resolves just as quick)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:12 pm (It won’t be the first time that circumstances beyond our control shit out Canadians but I hope this resolves just as quick)
Well that's interesting..... :D
dklee12
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dklee12 »

DysonSphere wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:32 pm I really appreciate a couple of posters above telling us about what their Zoom call was like. I'm not sure I'm understanding it correctly though. Would somebody mind explaining how there are 10-12 people per Zoom call, but you speak your answers out loud to an interviewer? Wouldn't you all be speaking over each other? How exactly does the question and answer component work, and somebody said you can jump backwards if you realize an answer was wrong? Would somebody mind explaining how that works? Is there a timer ticking down? Is somebody interacting with you at all? Thanks!
DysonSphere (and anyone else who may have been interested),

I assume you're referring, at least in part, to my previous post back on page 7. I just typed up a fairly long post as a much-belated follow-up to that one. I then tried to submit it, but forgot to first copy the text to the clipboard in case I'd timed out. You can guess what happened next...

Here's a shortened version: At least back in April/May, the online audition was held in two parts. Part 1 was the 50-question test, which I described on page 7. That was a one-on-one Zoom call; responses were spoken aloud. Part 2, which for me was two weeks later, was the mock game. (This is what's featured in most of the video clips in media coverage of the online auditions.) This was a group Zoom call, nine prospective contestants (all from SoCal) playing a mock game in groups of three. Short 'tell-a-bit-about-yourself' interviews after each triad. Repeat for second and third trios.

The first call took less than 20 minutes, the second one (including introductory and concluding spiels) just under 45. At the end of Part 2, Corina said we were in the Pool for "18 months minimum."

This was back in spring, and was all still fairly new. They may have improved/modified/streamlined some parts of the process since then (though the "What can I expect if I'm selected to audition?" answer in the jeopardy.com Contestant FAQs does currently describe a process that matches mine).

Any questions, please ask away.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

dklee12 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:49 pmPart 1 was the 50-question test, which I described on page 7. That was a one-on-one Zoom call; responses were spoken aloud.
I've done this step more recently (August), and it was different -- it was essentially the same as the initial online contestant test, but with about 8-10 potential contestants on a Zoom call taking it simultaneously (no advancing to the next question early), being watched by a couple of J! production staff members.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

trainman wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:48 am
dklee12 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:49 pmPart 1 was the 50-question test, which I described on page 7. That was a one-on-one Zoom call; responses were spoken aloud.
I've done this step more recently (August), and it was different -- it was essentially the same as the initial online contestant test, but with about 8-10 potential contestants on a Zoom call taking it simultaneously (no advancing to the next question early), being watched by a couple of J! production staff members.
I assume this is what my Zoom session will be because there were 12 spots open for the time slot. My only question is how you enter responses. Do they provide you with a separate link to take something similar to the original online test - they just watch you on camera while you take it? Just trying to mentally prepare. Thanks!
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

DysonSphere wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:08 amDo they provide you with a separate link to take something similar to the original online test - they just watch you on camera while you take it? Just trying to mentally prepare. Thanks!
That's it exactly.
Leopardy!
Contributor

Post by Leopardy! »

Thank you very much for this. Got an email Monday saying I was invited to a Zoom audition based on passing the last test I took (January 2020). So tomorrow I'll be one of 12 in a Zoom group. I'm trying to figure out if I'm already supposed to have a Zoom account for this first part of the audition (I don't). Also, besides being watched by J! staff, should we be prepared to interact with them at all? This will be my third "in-person" audition, and in the past we had to answer a questionnaire that the staff referred to while talking to us individually. Did any repeaters just go look at their old topics and answers, or should we expect to be spontaneous? Thanks and best of luck to all of us.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Leopardy! wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:55 pm
Thank you very much for this. Got an email Monday saying I was invited to a Zoom audition based on passing the last test I took (January 2020). So tomorrow I'll be one of 12 in a Zoom group. I'm trying to figure out if I'm already supposed to have a Zoom account for this first part of the audition (I don't). Also, besides being watched by J! staff, should we be prepared to interact with them at all? This will be my third "in-person" audition, and in the past we had to answer a questionnaire that the staff referred to while talking to us individually. Did any repeaters just go look at their old topics and answers, or should we expect to be spontaneous? Thanks and best of luck to all of us.
Last summer, in Columbus, they didn't seem to be referring to the questionnaires at all when interviewing us.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Leopardy!
Contributor

Post by Leopardy! »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:16 pm
Last summer, in Columbus, they didn't seem to be referring to the questionnaires at all when interviewing us.
Maybe TPTB spin a giant Wheel of Options before every audition cycle.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Leopardy! wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:55 pm Also, besides being watched by J! staff, should we be prepared to interact with them at all?
I was banished upstairs while my husband took the Zoom test today, but he says it was pretty much test only. The only chitchat was to confirm all the participants were hooked up correctly. Interaction, yes, but interview, no.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:16 pm Last summer, in Columbus, they didn't seem to be referring to the questionnaires at all when interviewing us.
I knew I was doomed at my last audition when I was the only person who was not asked anything related to the questionnaire. I guess my five stories were just too boring!
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:30 pm
triviawayne wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:16 pm Last summer, in Columbus, they didn't seem to be referring to the questionnaires at all when interviewing us.
I knew I was doomed at my last audition when I was the only person who was not asked anything related to the questionnaire. I guess my five stories were just too boring!
I had five stories that I was quite sure were pretty good, and they didn't ask me a thing about any of them.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:59 pm
I had five stories that I was quite sure were pretty good, and they didn't ask me a thing about any of them.
I definitely think that's a test to determine how you deal with spontaneity...which is likely why I've bungled the last three auditions I've had :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:08 pm
I definitely think that's a test to determine how you deal with spontaneity...which is likely why I've bungled the last three auditions I've had :lol:
Maybe "an opportunity to be spontaneous" rather than "a test to determine..." would be a better way to think about it... :)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:21 pm
Maybe "an opportunity to be spontaneous" rather than "a test to determine..." would be a better way to think about it... :)
I have no problem being spontaneous! ...as long as I have time to prepare...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

davey wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:21 pm
Guys, I firmly believe the non-questionnaire banter is a buy signal. It happened to me. If they take this approach, don't let it rattle you. They're evaluating personality and attitude, not any particular anecdote. Just roll with it.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

They didn’t seem to use anyone’s questionnaire last year.

I wouldn’t take them using it or not using it as anything.

There’s always the possibility something caught their attention and that’s what they’re going with.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
goongas

Post by goongas »

You will need Zoom I believe, sign up for an account and make sure it works. Use a laptop/computer instead of a phone/tablet.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Leopardy! wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:55 pmAlso, besides being watched by J! staff, should we be prepared to interact with them at all? This will be my third "in-person" audition, and in the past we had to answer a questionnaire that the staff referred to while talking to us individually.
Just for additional clarification, the "second 50-question test" and the "mock gameplay and interview" will be separate audition sessions, which may be several weeks apart (at least). When you get the invitation to the "mock gameplay and interview" session, you'll get a PDF application/questionnaire to fill out and return via email.

You don't have to sign up for a "Zoom account," but you may want to make sure that you have the Zoom software installed on your device in advance. (If it's not already installed, clicking on the Zoom link they send you will allow you to immediately download and install the software, but that can still take a couple minutes.)