Tuesday, September 15, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator »

I think the Final Jeopardy ruling was outrageous. However, I was caught up in a completely different controversy. There was Berry Gordy senior and Berry Gordy Jr. Berry senior who was also known as Pops died about 1978. I knew Berry Gordy was the answer but I was thinking a contestant might be malted for not specifying jr.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don’t do Twitter or Reddit but I wonder how many people complaining about the ruling will demand Alex owes her $1,600.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

econgator wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:54 pm
triviawayne wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:16 pm Barry like carry

Berry like strawberry
I'm with you. These have two different sounds and "Mary, merry, marry" have 3 different sounds.

Best I can do for the differences is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2_VLUnbAbY
Yup, that’s how I hear and say Barry. I was going to give a hard ar as in Tara as my next attempt to explain what I think it is.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
goongas

Post by goongas »

I would have answered Barry, I forgot his name is Berry.

The wide shot of the three contestants looks terrible. I hope they put the podiums back together when the protocols are lifted. I can't read all the scores without twisting my neck during the wide shot.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I wonder if this represents a change and spelling matters now. Certainly if the response had been given orally rather than in writing, there would have been no problem. Betsy probably pronounces Barry and Berry to sound the same--i.e. to sound like Berry, not Barry, for those who make a distinction. That's the standard accent in Southern California anyway. It would be interesting to see a ruling on a Bostonian very clearly saying Barry rather than Berry. What do you guys think? Would they accept it or not?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:13 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:43 pm The Barry/Berry ruling reminds me of this ruling on Password Plus back in the 80s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Rlrx-AQbQ
I pronounce those two words the same. But the word the players said (hairy) is not the word they were going for (Harry). My clue would have been “Truman”.
I've seen the judges accept homophones on Password before (though I can't remember specific examples offhand).
nadroj93
Contributor

Post by nadroj93 »

Today was an even better show for me, coming in at $41,200 (running average: $40,900).

A little irritated that I was stumped by Mary Higgins Clark, and even more irritated that I confidently said Jan Van Eyck instead of Jan Vermeer. Anyone have a clever way to separate the Jans?

Got all the DDs, but I'm 0 for 2 on final. Literally couldn't even come up with a name to write down.
Last edited by nadroj93 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Another QJ here... :oops:
clprez

Post by clprez »

nadroj93 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:26 pm A little irritated that I was stumped by Mary Higgins Clark, and even more irritated that I confidently said Jan Van Eyck instead of Jan Vermeer. Anyone have a clever way to separate the Jans?
The way I keep them straight is that Vermeer really plays with light in his paintings, and often the light seems to be coming from the left.
Danmel
Valued Contributor

Post by Danmel »

I actually thought they would make a score change for cochineal as a beetle derivative, instead of just insect. Beetle is correct.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

nadroj93 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:26 pmeven more irritated that I confidently said Jan Van Eyck instead of Jan Vermeer. Anyone have a clever way to separate the Jans?
Not me. I get as far as "not Rembrandt" and then it's Jan roulette.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Danmel wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:44 pm I actually thought they would make a score change for cochineal as a beetle derivative, instead of just insect. Beetle is correct.
Wikipedia says cochineals are of the order Hemiptera. Beetles are of the order Coleoptera. Interestingly, this means that the response "What is a bug?" would or at least should have been accepted. Hemiptera is the order of "true bugs".
davey

Post by davey »

Danmel wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:44 pm I actually thought they would make a score change for cochineal as a beetle derivative, instead of just insect. Beetle is correct.
I thought so too. Then I looked it up.
Here's just one of several sources I found that say otherwise-
http://www.cochinealdye.com/html/biolog ... 20misnomer.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

nadroj93 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:26 pm Today was an even better show for me, coming in at $41,200 (running average: $40,900).

A little irritated that I was stumped by Mary Higgins Clark, and even more irritated that I confidently said Jan Van Eyck instead of Jan Vermeer. Anyone have a clever way to separate the Jans?

Got all the DDs, but I'm 0 for 2 on final. Literally couldn't even come up with a name to write down.
I did the same confident-van-Eyck thing you did.

Then I made this up to keep them straight in the future:

Vermearring
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:53 pm
Wikipedia says cochineals are of the order Hemiptera. Beetles are of the order Coleoptera. Interestingly, this means that the response "What is a bug?" would or at least should have been accepted. Hemiptera is the order of "true bugs".
I think this may be a common misconception or urban legend, cochineal being a beetle also sounded right to me but it seems to be patently false. Searching it I found this site which includes the gem: "Don't trust any account that calls this bug a beetle — it's not"

https://www.livescience.com/36292-red-f ... rmine.html
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:53 pm
Is there a difference between "bugs" and "insects"? Other than pronunciation, of course... ;)
nadroj93
Contributor

Post by nadroj93 »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:02 pm
nadroj93 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:26 pm Today was an even better show for me, coming in at $41,200 (running average: $40,900).

I did the same confident-van-Eyck thing you did.

Then I made this up to keep them straight in the future:

Vermearring
That's genius!
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I actually support the judges' ruling - mainly on the basis that Barry and Berry are two completely different names. It would be like if you were asked for Harper Lee's 1960 novel, and you wrote "Two Kill a Mockingbird". Even if they sound alike in some dialects (not mine), they're two different words with different meanings.

Weird thing is that I enunciate Berry differently from Barry - specifically because I know that Gordy's name is spelled with an "e", so so I want to emphasize it. And yet for cot and caught, I can't find a difference. My accent is probably generic US broadcaster - born in Massachusetts, mom from California, dad from Boston with a slight accent (and many relatives who literally sound like Your Cousin...FROM BOOOOSTON), and moved to Cleveland for middle school and Atlanta for high school, so I'm kind of all over the map. But I definitely don't drawl.

Either way, I did get FJ! right, and did quite a bit of error checking. I did cheat...I allowed myself use of Excel's math functions, because I was tired. I got 2019 - 60 = 1959, which confirmed Mowtown, and got me to Berry Gordy (spelled correctly, both names). I then added 25 to 1959 to get 1984 (this time in my head), which clinched it for me...the famous Mowtown 25 special where Michael Jackson moonwalked.

I was a little surprised that they accepted "Parks and Rec" when they require "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band". I did say "Recreation", and I'm 99% sure that anyone who would get Alex's "C'mon, there's a little more answer we need..." stare would get it, too. But for consistency, it's a little odd.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

nadroj93 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:26 pmA little irritated that I was stumped by Mary Higgins Clark, and even more irritated that I confidently said Jan Van Eyck instead of Jan Vermeer. Anyone have a clever way to separate the Jans?
First of all, forget their first names. As we saw today, they’re only going to get you in trouble.

Secondly, familiarize yourself with Vermeer's four or five best-known works. He has a very distinct style defined by his domestic subject matter and use of lighting.

Van Eyck worked more than two centuries earlier in a more mannered style common to the High Renaissance.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:24 pm
nadroj93 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:26 pmA little irritated that I was stumped by Mary Higgins Clark, and even more irritated that I confidently said Jan Van Eyck instead of Jan Vermeer. Anyone have a clever way to separate the Jans?
First of all, forget their first names. As we saw today, they’re only going to get you in trouble.

Secondly, familiarize yourself with Vermeer's four or five best-known works. He has a very distinct style defined by his domestic subject matter and use of lighting.
Vermeer has a very distinct studio even (checkerboard floor, window always on the left side of frame) Admittedly, that doesn't help with the painting in question, but once you see it, you'll never not see it...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)