Tuesday, September 15, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:20 am Over on reddit, Betsy is pissed, and says it was Alex, in grumpy-old-man mode, who made the final call.
Hell, it's probably better for her that she was ruled wrong -- much better story than, "Yeah, I got FJ correct and I still finished in 3rd."
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

kerryoakie wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:10 am
talkingaway wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:01 am
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:44 am Add me to the long list who was shocked by the FJ ruling. I correctly spelled Berry Gordy, but I may now consider only using last names from now on :shock:

Question from a young whippersnapper here born after 1982: What headline was the clue referring to in DD1?
Deadline, not headline. From a quick wiki search, the deadline for the amendment to be passed by 3/4 of the states is apparently set by Congress along with creation of the amendment - the amendment had a "Mission: Impossible" clause, causing it to self-destruct and rendering it inactive if not passed by 38 states by the date. The original deadline was March 1979, and was extended to June 1982 - although apparently whether this extension is valid is an unresolved matter. There were no states that ratified it between the original date and the extension, so it's basically an academic point.

Legal scholars, nitpick away.
I highly recommend the show "Mrs. America" on Hulu about this topic. Excellent cast and writing, plus you can learn something along the way! I tend to retain information better if I've watched a fictionalized version of the events.
Yes to all of that plus the show has a great opening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S86Zsk85DBc
davey

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:49 am
reddpen wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:31 pm Now I'm curious how you or indeed anyone could pronounce "two" and "to" (and/or "too" for that matter) differently.
I pronounce them the same but I have heard two pronounced as “tyou”. (As the word you with a t in front of it).
Never heard that, but of course it's very common to pronounce the "To" in "To Kill a Mockingbird" quickly,as , or something similar. I don't think that ever happens with the number, or the adverb for that matter.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:19 am
reddpen wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:31 pm Now I'm curious how you or indeed anyone could pronounce "two" and "to" (and/or "too" for that matter) differently.
I pronounce them the same but I have heard two pronounced as “tyou”. (As the word you with a t in front of it).
Never heard that, but of course it's very common to pronounce the "To" in "To Kill a Mockingbird" quickly,as , or something similar. I don't think that ever happens with the number, or the adverb for that matter.
True, but I think most people would recognize this as sloppy pronunciation and agree that "to" and "two" are properly pronounced the same.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

32 R/5 W
coryat: $21,800
DDs: 3/3
FJ!: :( NHO

Berry and Barry are pronounced the same way :evil:

LT: the Civil Rights Act, seventy-eight, insects, Triton, Krakatoa, (hasta la vista), (caliph)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Someone mentioned "pen" vs. "pin" in a Facebook group in relation to last night's FJ scoring decision. In a good part of the south those two words are pronounced the same and that might give some of us who would pronounce Barry and Berry the same some perspective. If the FJ clue was something like "He won an Academy Award for his portrayal of Harvey Milk" do you think Sean Pin would be accepted?
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:23 am
davey wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:19 am
True, but I think most people would recognize this as sloppy pronunciation and agree that "to" and "two" are properly pronounced the same.
Or as "normal" pronunciation. It's in the dictionary.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:20 am Over on reddit, Betsy is pissed, and says it was Alex, in grumpy-old-man mode, who made the final call.
Well, assuming of course it’s really her, what difference does it really make personally? Everybody knows she knew the correct answer, it cost her no money, she finished exactly where she would have.

If she actually used the words grumpy old man, I’d say she’s more pissed at herself for flat out getting beat.

There’s a right way to handle bad decisions, calling the host names isn’t it.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:35 am Someone mentioned "pen" vs. "pin" in a Facebook group in relation to last night's FJ scoring decision. In a good part of the south those two words are pronounced the same and that might give some of us who would pronounce Barry and Berry some perspective. If the FJ clue was something like "He won an Academy Award for his portrayal of Harvey Milk" do you think Sean Pin would be accepted?
Funny you should use that example. Where I grew up, we always said the word milk more like melk...
Golf

Post by Golf »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:35 am If the FJ clue was something like "He won an Academy Award for his portrayal of Harvey Milk" do you think Sean Pin would be accepted?
Good thing you used Milk in your example, had you used Spicoli, we’d never know as nobody would’ve given the right answer. :D
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:35 am Someone mentioned "pen" vs. "pin" in a Facebook group in relation to last night's FJ scoring decision. In a good part of the south those two words are pronounced the same and that might give some of us who would pronounce Barry and Berry some perspective. If the FJ clue was something like "He won an Academy Award for his portrayal of Harvey Milk" do you think Sean Pin would be accepted?
Probably not. But in the Barry/Berry case, the majority of Americans pronounce the words the same. With pen/pin it's a minority. I don't know the stats but I'd bet less than 25 percent. That might make a difference.

It does raise an interesting question about whether a contestant's accent should/would be taken into account for written responses. For a spoken response, I suspect they'd accept "Who is Sean Pin?" from a southern belle but not from a southern Californian penguin. And I'd agree with that call. When I say "pin" there's no chance I mean "pen", barring a standard wire-crossing event in the brain. (I.e. "What'd I say? Really? Well, I meant to say 'pen'".) But take that into FJ and should the southern belle get credit for "Who is Pin"? After all, in her accent, that spelling doesn't affect the pronunciation. But what if she and I both wrote down that answer? Imagine the ensuing netsplosion if she got credit and I didn't!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

reddpen wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:31 pm Anyone else consider Rick and Morty at TV Shows 1600, with "Rick" in the clue?
I almost did but stayed clam. Thankfully it kept me primed to give it when it actually was the correct response.

My worst guess was probably going Jewish + comedy + TV = seinfeld. Only off by a lot.
davey wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:42 am Funny you should use that example. Where I grew up, we always said the word milk more like melk...
I have a coworker who, like me, is a native of Michigan. She says "Welcome to Donald's", "hambugger", "onsweet tea", and "melkshake". She probably goes "acrost" the "rairoad" tracks to the "libary", too.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:03 am I have a coworker who, like me, is a native of Michigan. She says "Welcome to Donald's", "hambugger", "onsweet tea", and "melkshake". She probably goes "acrost" the "rairoad" tracks to the "libary", too.
But does she read the "noosepaper?"

The "onsweet tea" one is a bit interesting...

One I've noticed some people in Michigan say I've always thought was strange was "ompen" for "open" with the first syllable like the "om" mantra word.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:17 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:03 am I have a coworker who, like me, is a native of Michigan. She says "Welcome to Donald's", "hambugger", "onsweet tea", and "melkshake". She probably goes "acrost" the "rairoad" tracks to the "libary", too.
But does she read the "noosepaper?"
A lot of people use that one. I do it myself, so maybe it's a regionalism, but my hunch is it's more widespread. It doesn't bother me, but it seems like everyone at the radio station I listen to says they represent "NPR Noose." That kind of drives me batty, especially since I swear it's a recent development...
Last edited by davey on Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Golf wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:42 amwhat difference does it really make
As she pointed out--her pride only.

Which actually makes it more insulting for them not to have accepted it.

Not only was the ruling flaunting making an absolute mockery of decades of precedent and giving a middle finger to a majority of speakers (a group that includes the question subject himself), it was just mean to Betsy for no gameplay-justifiable reason.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

This map may be of some interest. It's from a study of regional dialects; others can be found here.

*EDIT* FWIW, I'm a Kerry and I pronounce my name the same way I pronounce Carrie and carry.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:41 am Not only was the ruling flaunting decades of precedent
flouting
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

econgator wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:01 pm
Robert K S wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:41 am Not only was the ruling flaunting decades of precedent
flouting
I pronounce it with a silent "N"
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:41 am
Golf wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:42 amwhat difference does it really make
As she pointed out--her pride only.

Which actually makes it more insulting for them not to have accepted it.

Not only was the ruling flaunting making an absolute mockery of decades of precedent and giving a middle finger to a majority of speakers (a group that includes the question subject himself), it was just mean to Betsy for no gameplay-justifiable reason.
Well said, Robert.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

kerryoakie wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:56 am *EDIT* FWIW, I'm a Kerry and I pronounce my name the same way I pronounce Carrie and carry.
And even "Kara" apparently

(as in karaoke)