Wednesday, September 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, September 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:10 pm
bluejaylink wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:08 pm I said "stupor" instead of "trance"

Judges?
Checks all the boxes for me.
I don't recall ever hearing the phrase hypnotic stupor, but googling suggests it's a thing, at least in crossword puzzle clues...

I think Kelly should have been asked to spell (Chuck) Berry so we could be sure she knows how to pronounce it...I note she thinks Harper Lee wrote Tə Kill a Mockingbird... :lol: :lol:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Finally, a show with actual hubris!

Kelly was a bundle of fun. I hope the show doesn't take the curmudgeonly complaints of stick-in-the-mud JBoardies into account on this one. :D She reminded me a bit of Abby O'Reilly who, if I recall, also had detractors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irNdCSvyRNg

Anyway, I miss Kelly already. Cory too. But David's a good champ and he had a good contestant story.

I had no idea Boone died that early. I should've gone with the name in desperation because of the Kentucky connection. But it seemed so obviously wrong that I felt my time was better spent thinking than writing. Maybe next similar situation I'll think to scrawl down the "wrong" response while continuing to search for a better one.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

We took a class trip to historic Fort Boonesborough in elementary school. I wasn't missing this one.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:29 pm
I had no idea Boone died that early.
I didn’t go with Boone for the same reason. With no other ideas, I wrote down Knox since there’s a fort with that name.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I have a list of common Jeopardy! coin flips and today I lost my own toss on Daniel Boone / Davy Crockett :shock:

I'd like to think I would have reviewed my notes during the time between The Call and tape day :oops:

Just could not pull Winslow Homer tonight. Sad we didn't see 3/5 clues in that category :(

It's tough to miss a clue about your own city. Went with Brooklyn for the Howard Beach borough. Turns out HB is just over the dividing line between Brooklyn and Queens

+1 Kelly was a bit extra for Jeopardy! :P
Last edited by morbeedo on Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
nadroj93
Contributor

Post by nadroj93 »

Today was rough for my score ... $27,600 drops my average to $36,466.67, literally a 4k drop. But it's only episode 3, so I'm hoping it will level out as the data set grows.

Got my first final of the season, but also missed my first DD of the season. The first round, in particular, felt difficult ... just a lot of things I had no knowledge of. Ed Koch came out of nowhere as something I'd picked up just from regular trivia and crosswords, but Charles Martel, the Byron/Greece connection, Erewhon, hogans all feel brand new to me. More opportunities to learn, I guess!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Had a terrible J! round with lots of negs and clams, but did MUCH better in DJ!

Yes, I ran ACM Awards. And 6-Letter Words. Also proud of myself for finally getting Lord of the Flies.

0/5 on European History. Stayed clam for fear of missing the Norway/Sweden coinflip, and not a tiny bit of recognition on the rest.

Also 0/5 in TV Shows Based on Books by Women, thanks in part to saying Alcott for Wilder.

Bar mitzvah = 13 and Staten Island seemed YEKIOYD for the top box.

The Navajo DD was bullshit. I knew what they wanted but couldn't articulate it, and it still isn't clear what they actually wanted.

Lach Trash: The Sun Also Rises, Thomas Rhett, Old Dominion, Kelsea Ballerini. Also got the "litmus" DD.

Instaget FJ! I knew that Davy was from TN because of the song.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:12 pm Also proud of myself for finally getting Lord of the Flies.
Attaboy!
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Post by Peachbox »

DBear wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:11 pm Three Californians couldn't come up with Portland, ME or Red River of the North :lol:
This Californian had both. :)

The way I remember the states Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone are associated with (along with the TV theme song):

Davy Crockett was from Tennessee
so Daniel Boone's associated with Kentucky (though born in PA).
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Charming wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:08 pm I hope that players like Kelly are not the direction the producers want to retake the show. As TalkingAwauy posted, a little goes a long way.. :o
Honestly, I'm willing to give the producers a lot of leeway. The contestant pool shrunk from about 365.8 million to about 19 million. (Okay, not everyone in the US/Canada/Greater LA area is eligible, but the proportion is probably about the same.) It means that if they keep the same "line", for every contestant they interviewed in the beforetimes, they'd have to interview about 19 or 20 to get an LA contestant.

But I agree - the one generic contestant archetype that I'm a little allergic to is the overenthusiastic squealer, and it's not what J! fans at home are expecting. As has been said, she'd be a great fit on a lot of other game shows - Card Sharks, Don't, and Match Game come to mind, where she gets to actually talk for more than 30-40 seconds. I don't mind wit and even a little bit of acerbic snark, but save the fist pumps for the DDs and FJ.
alietr wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:26 pm Personally, I would say that urging another player to go TDD crosses the line into unsportsmanlike conduct. Sorry, but she would be a good fit on a lot of other game shows.
I can't fault her too much for that - James literally did the same thing on GOAT, didn't he? Same rules for everyone. Plus, contextually, it was pretty obvious she was joking. The scores were 1400-2600-12800, with only 9200 available on the board, and "less than a minute to go" in effect. A $5 wager would have been more than appropriate - as was David's $3000 wager. Dealer's choice.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Kelly got a J! video after the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmtV0nHop_g
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Boone instaget.

I was hoping Kelly would win a DD so we could see her go full TPIR and jump up and down.
Last edited by floridagator on Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:31 am
Charming wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:08 pm I hope that players like Kelly are not the direction the producers want to retake the show. As TalkingAwauy posted, a little goes a long way.. :o
Honestly, I'm willing to give the producers a lot of leeway. The contestant pool shrunk from about 365.8 million to about 19 million. (Okay, not everyone in the US/Canada/Greater LA area is eligible, but the proportion is probably about the same.) It means that if they keep the same "line", for every contestant they interviewed in the beforetimes, they'd have to interview about 19 or 20 to get an LA contestant.

But I agree - the one generic contestant archetype that I'm a little allergic to is the overenthusiastic squealer, and it's not what J! fans at home are expecting. As has been said, she'd be a great fit on a lot of other game shows - Card Sharks, Don't, and Match Game come to mind, where she gets to actually talk for more than 30-40 seconds. I don't mind wit and even a little bit of acerbic snark, but save the fist pumps for the DDs and FJ.
alietr wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:26 pm Personally, I would say that urging another player to go TDD crosses the line into unsportsmanlike conduct. Sorry, but she would be a good fit on a lot of other game shows.
I can't fault her too much for that - James literally did the same thing on GOAT, didn't he? Same rules for everyone. Plus, contextually, it was pretty obvious she was joking. The scores were 1400-2600-12800, with only 9200 available on the board, and "less than a minute to go" in effect. A $5 wager would have been more than appropriate - as was David's $3000 wager. Dealer's choice.
The GOAT was a little different as they all had plenty of Jeopardy experience and they all knew each other. But it fit in with her flighty personality.

I thought his DD bet was risky as a miss puts the other two back in the game. I am betting small and taking my time coming up with a response.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:31 am

"overenthusiastic squealer." Pretty much sums it up. And I agree, a little bit goes a long way, and after decades of what J! has given us, that is what we have become comfortably accustomed to.

At least I knew Davy Crockett was killed at the Alamo in 1836, so I didn't make that mistake.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

We were pretty satisfied with a Winslow Homer triple stumper in my neck of the woods. ;)
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3633
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:38 pm I knew Crocket died later at the Alamo so I got it right. I knew Boone lived to be pretty old but I thought he died much later. Turns out he was born in 1734.

I was hoping Cory wouldn’t get the last clue right so we’d have a solo FJ. Kelly was certainly an interesting person. I pity the TSA agent interrogating her for suspicion of smuggling drugs in a dinosaur.
Why would you want a final J solo?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Hoo boy! This was quite the spectacle. At the start I found Kelly’s antics amusing but as the game wore on she seemed more like a poker player on tilt. There was so much Lach trash that I lost count. Opus, are you going to do another Fourth Podium poll or is it too much of a foregone conclusion. KY == Boone for me, so no problem on FJ.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

flemmingfan wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:28 am
Bamaman wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:38 pm I knew Crocket died later at the Alamo so I got it right. I knew Boone lived to be pretty old but I thought he died much later. Turns out he was born in 1734.

I was hoping Cory wouldn’t get the last clue right so we’d have a solo FJ. Kelly was certainly an interesting person. I pity the TSA agent interrogating her for suspicion of smuggling drugs in a dinosaur.
Why would you want a final J solo?
Because it's unusual and memorable. There've only been a handful. We haven't had one in over 5 years--Kristin Sausville on 12 March 2015. Before that, there was one in 2011. Before that, 2005 in the UTOC. Before that... 1987. (Nothing in between?) Before that, 1986.

So, yeah, once it was clear neither Cory nor Kelly could win, like Bamaman I was rooting for them to at least be part of something special. :D
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woof wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:35 amOpus, are you going to do another Fourth Podium poll or is it too much of a foregone conclusion.
Good reminder!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5817
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Forgot to mention that when I saw the category TV SHOWS BASED ON BOOKS BY WOMEN, I confidently pre-called The Handmaid's Tale. Really surprised that didn't pay off. The writers love that book almost as much as I hate it.