Thursday, September 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, September 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

Anyone else happen to notice at the start of the game that when they called the clue for 800 in A SHRUBBERY that they showed the graphic for 600? Confused me as I was tracking my Coryat.

Composer named Gustav ____ for a $2000 clue? I risked going for the obvious one, and was rewarded.

Almost ran SCIENCE AND NATURE, but got my clams and oysters mixed up. I guess you just have to know "giant clams" are a thing, while "giant oysters" aren't....or you have to know that Tridacna are oysters, which seems a little steep for a top row clue.

I wrote down Picasso because I couldn't think of another modern Spanish-named artist quick enough. If I had expanded my horizon to women, I think I would have stumbled upon Kahlo, and if I'd then noticed "him" in the clue, I could have made my way to Rivera. I thought Picasso was a little too easy - usually, the more well-known the response, the muddier the clue. This was a fairly clear clue with seemingly no tricks, meaning we need a muddy, second-tier response like Diego Rivera.

I'd NHO the other two muralists. They're canon, but mostly as the trio itself.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I briefly considered Picasso, but thought it might be nebulous on his being a 20th-century artist, as he was born in 1881. Was more comfortable with Rivera.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:35 pm I briefly considered Picasso, but thought it might be nebulous on his being a 20th-century artist, as he was born in 1881. Was more comfortable with Rivera.
Yesterday's 19th c. American was born in 1734.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:58 pm One thing that got me to the correct response was that the two names in the clue seemed like new world names--Orozco in particular.
This is also what got me to the correct name.

+1 Beethoven instead of Tchaikovsky
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:50 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:58 pm One thing that got me to the correct response was that the two names in the clue seemed like new world names--Orozco in particular.
This is also what got me to the correct name.

+1 Beethoven instead of Tchaikovsky
I went with Tchaikovsky because the clue mentioned someone named Pasternak. Only Pasternak I know is the Russian author of Dr. Zhivago. So I assumed a Russian connection.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

My summer in Mexico in ‘69 pays dividends: I made a study of the three great Mexican muralists: Orozco, Siquieros and Rivera. Of the three, Siquieros was my favorite. Regardless, Instaget of instagets tonight.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

If I may be so bold, I want to pat myself on the back for studying Jazz musicians pretty thoroughly, and getting "honeysuckle" because of it.
nadroj93
Contributor

Post by nadroj93 »

Much better game for me than yesterday! Finished at $36,800 (running average: $36,550) and got all three DDs and final!

I could have had more: I chickened out of saying Zooey Deschanel and Breakfast of Champions. I also definitely should have had Liechtenstein, but my brain didn't work quickly enough.

I really liked Cory, but Joe might be my favorite champion so far this season. The energy he brought with him really vibed with me, and I hope he does well tomorrow!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

If Diego Rivera's name crossed my mind, it was probably softer than a breath. Picasso was my WECIB response. An Alex-style sympathetic "boo-hiss" to Beth for doing better than me but ending up with the same result, and a non-sympathetic "boo-hiss" to Joe for not making the cover wager that would have turned Beth's mistake from a $26k+ one to a $1k one.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Woppy T wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:41 pm I’m guessing the judges wouldn’t accept my FJ response of “who was that dude who was married to Frida Kahlo.”
Likewise. This was especially galling as I could clearly recall the movie "Frida" from 15 years or so ago, which was all about their stormy love life, but blanked on the name for the crucial 30 seconds. It's excellent, btw, highly recommended, not for the kiddies.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It's sounding like Rivera is polling much lower than I would have thought.

That was a serious misfire on Strauss. He's Pavlovian for waltzes, and David seemed so confident in that category, too.
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:10 am A non-sympathetic "boo-hiss" to Joe for not making the cover wager that would have turned Beth's mistake from a $26k+ one to a $1k one.
When I saw that he had the correct answer, I thought, "Oh, well - Beth can take some solace in the fact that she would not have won anyway." Obviously, that was not the case.

This is something I do not understand. Even if I hate the Final Jeopardy category, if they ever choose me for the show, I will NEVER not bet to win.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Dali here.

Rivera felt obvious after the fact.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Golf

Post by Golf »

mrparadise wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:12 am Likewise. This was especially galling as I could clearly recall the movie "Frida" from 15 years or so ago, which was all about their stormy love life, but blanked on the name for the crucial 30 seconds. It's excellent, btw, highly recommended, not for the kiddies.
Everything I know about Diego Rivera I learned from Salma Hayek. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Thought both names in the clue were obviously Latin American.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:15 am That was a serious misfire on Strauss. He's Pavlovian for waltzes, and David seemed so confident in that category, too.
Yeah, that was puzzling. Strauss = Waltz King is pretty basic classical knowledge. If he hadn't gone on to pick up $2000 on a Mahler clue, I'd have said he didn't know the category. But the Mahler pull suggests his $7400 true DD wasn't unreasonable. On the third hand, he stood and stared with the other two when asked for a composer who might be associated with Pathetique and Pasternak. That did come right after his DD miss, so maybe he was still in shock. Maybe what was going through his head was, "Schubert? Schubert???!!??! WHY did you say SCHUBERT??!??!!"
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran A Shrubbery! and Word Words. 20/30 right in J! was pretty good. Didn't do quite as well in DJ!, but still had a $24,200 Coryat.

Film Composition was my only 0/5.

"Blah blah blah giant blah blah mollusk" = giant squid, right? Oops, that said bivalve too. Grumble.

No guess on FJ! other than "Not Picasso".

Lach Trash: Dr. Seuss, erstwhile, A
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Golf wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:42 am
mrparadise wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:12 am Likewise. This was especially galling as I could clearly recall the movie "Frida" from 15 years or so ago, which was all about their stormy love life, but blanked on the name for the crucial 30 seconds. It's excellent, btw, highly recommended, not for the kiddies.
Everything I know about Diego Rivera I learned from Salma Hayek. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Thought both names in the clue were obviously Latin American.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way about the names. Absolutely zero justification for it I can see other than, "Seems right..." I just went straight to "Okay...who's the guy who married Frida?..." without for an instant considering Picasso or Dali.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

I just remembered that I read this article when it was published in Feb. Yesterday i didn't quite remember the facts, but I'm sure it unconsciously gave me confidence. Always useful to read the arts pages of any good newspaper...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/20/arts ... itney.html
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

davey wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:38 pm I just remembered that I read this article when it was published in Feb. Yesterday i didn't quite remember the facts, but I'm sure it unconsciously gave me confidence. Always useful to read the arts pages of any good newspaper...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/20/arts ... itney.html
Excellent!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The Saturday Night and Sunday Morning clue was made to be guessable without knowing of the film, but I had heard of it in one place before Thursday: on a Mel Brooks/Carl Reiner album. It was the third album of theirs with a 2000 Year Old Man segment, but they had recorded it at the Cannes Film Festival and a segment with Reiner interviewing several filmmakers played by Brooks got top billing. The last filmmaker is named Tippy Skittles, a British producer-director who has submitted "Sunday Night and Saturday Morning" to the festival. Carl Reiner questions that, saying there was a film by that name a couple of years earlier, and Mel Brooks (in a bad Cockney accent) clarifies that the earlier movie is Saturday Night and Sunday Morning ("It's a week['s] difference!").

Mel Brooks also plays a New Wave director named Frederico Fettuccini, who is actually Greek but changed his name because he didn't think "Mercurio Mercurochrome" was a good name for a director; that was the first place I ever heard of Mercurochrome.

Here's the segment (content note: the first director is hiding that he's a former Nazi, and the second director alludes repeatedly to portraying rape in his films): https://youtu.be/_Vp5_nvba7o