Friday, September 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, September 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, September 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ENGLISH POETS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
An 1816 poem by him says, “That with music loud and long, I would build that dome in air, that sunny dome!”

Joe Velasco: 9900-5000=4900
Sarah Twilley: 13800+6001=19801 (New Champ)
Herman Wilkins: 9200-4601=4599

Correct response:
Spoiler
Samuel Coleridge (Joe – Byron) (Herman – Lord Byron)

Daily Doubles
Joe: 1000-1000
Herman: 3200+3200
Joe: 7800+2500

Coryats
Joe: 10000
Sarah: 13800
Herman: 7600

Combined: 31,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Joe: 4200
Sarah: 4600
Herman: 1600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It always amuses me when a contestant's name ties into the correct response. Today Joe got called on for the 1954 'ism.

Franklin W. Dixon gets credit for my knowing the Viking alphabet clue.

With a better mix of contestants geographically then perhaps Ali's city is not a TS.

Four clues not seen today to make the week (not counting the FJ! clues): 58-58-55-60-56

The FJ! category had me try a bunch of precalls: Byron, Keats, Shelley, Wordsworth, Blake, Browning & the correct guy. During the break I crossed off Byron in recalling him as part of DD1 on Wednesday.

When I saw the clue I Pavloved "dome" to be done as fast as I was on stage in September aught five. Getting the perfecto for the first week was a relief as I dreaded a Keats/Shelley/Browning dart throw.

Perfect win by Sarah to lead, cover, and solely solve the FJ! clue.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Playing off a couple of Reddit posts I saw yesterday:

This regular guy, with no help from Sony, has the game archived and it took less than a couple of days: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6825

Doing the game reminded me of another clue that may not have gone TS with the right region representation: the No. 24 driver
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:24 pm Playing off a couple of Reddit posts I saw yesterday:

This regular guy, with no help from Sony, has the game archived and it took less than a couple of days: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6825

Doing the game reminded me of another clue that may not have gone TS with the right region representation: the No. 24 driver
My mind didn't quickly go to Jeff Gordon for that one, because he hasn't been in the 24 since 2015; plus Chase Elliott and William Byron have driven it regularly since, and while unlikely, the answer could've been either of them.

For non-race fans, because of the word driver, and because this was a general sports category, they might have steered (:P) themselves toward golf upon seeing the word driver, then never got to the right sport.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Golf

Post by Golf »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:06 pm My mind didn't quickly go to Jeff Gordon for that one, because he hasn't been in the 24 since 2015; plus Chase Elliott and William Byron have driven it regularly since, and while unlikely, the answer could've been either of them.

For non-race fans, because of the word driver, and because this was a general sports category, they might have steered (:P) themselves toward golf upon seeing the word driver, then never got to the right sport.
No chance of anyone with even a remote clue about sports going to golf seeing as how driver In golf is a club and not a person.

That being said, the clue wasn’t even close to being pinned. As you said, other NASCAR drivers has been in the #24 recently. But there’s also many other racing circuits to consider, Indycar, F1, and countless smaller circuits. The clue basically said name the most famous driver of a #24 car.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Judges:. anti-Communism for McCarthyism? :?:
Ran Norsemen & Apostles. 8-)
:D :D :D on DDs
Matched two of the contestants with Lord Byron :(
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:53 pm When I saw the clue I Pavloved "dome" to be done as fast as I was on stage in September aught five.
Yep. I dreaded the cat when I saw it, but like you, "dome" made it easy.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

NBC broke in just before FJ with news about RBG’s death. I found a copy of the show on YouTube and played it from there.

A WAG with Tennyson left me with little hope.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $35,600 (45R, 1W)
DD 1/3
FJ :mrgreen:

At first I was cranky about "what bearded 19th century guy is this with absolutely no context" for a DD, followed up by a DD in a movie category, which is a surefire $5 wager if I'm ever on the show. Then FJ was preempted with breaking news and it got even worse from there.

I liked all three contestants though.
nadroj93
Contributor

Post by nadroj93 »

$31,000 today (running average: $35,440)

Herman was AWESOME. I'm embarrassed to admit I wasn't looking at the screen on DD1 and confidently also said Darwinism. Really struggled with the bottom row of DJ, but final was an instaget.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:02 pm Judges:. anti-Communism for McCarthyism? :?:
Negative. You'd be very hard pressed to say "[anti-Communism] both reached its peak & began its decline [in 1954]"
If anything, it's still going strong.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Golf wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:35 pm
triviawayne wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:06 pm My mind didn't quickly go to Jeff Gordon for that one, because he hasn't been in the 24 since 2015; plus Chase Elliott and William Byron have driven it regularly since, and while unlikely, the answer could've been either of them.

No chance of anyone with even a remote clue about sports going to golf seeing as how driver In golf is a club and not a person.
And yet...I have a remote clue about many sports, but I still don't know what a No. 24 driver is. Couldn't a "No. 24 driver" refer to somebody known for the power of his strokes with a numbered club? Tiger Woods, maybe? Maybe that's ridiculous, but we have only a few seconds to make sense of these clues... :D
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:50 pm
DBear wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:02 pm Judges:. anti-Communism for McCarthyism? :?:
Negative. You'd be very hard pressed to say "[anti-Communism] both reached its peak & began its decline [in 1954]"
If anything, it's still going strong.
More important - and provable - the clue was pinned to a Britannica article.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Golf wrote:
triviawayne wrote: My mind didn't quickly go to Jeff Gordon for that one, because he hasn't been in the 24 since 2015; plus Chase Elliott and William Byron have driven it regularly since, and while unlikely, the answer could've been either of them.
The clue wasn’t even close to being pinned. As you said, other NASCAR drivers has been in the #24 recently. But there’s also many other racing circuits to consider, Indycar, F1, and countless smaller circuits. The clue basically said name the most famous driver of a #24 car.
It was a poor clue for sure.
I thought of Jeff Gordon instantly, but then remembered he retired a few years ago.
The clue made it sound like 'the driver' was present tense. That was enough for me to shy away from the obvious.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Golf wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:35 pm the clue wasn’t even close to being pinned. As you said, other NASCAR drivers has been in the #24 recently. But there’s also many other racing circuits to consider, Indycar, F1, and countless smaller circuits. The clue basically said name the most famous driver of a #24 car.
...who's doing cancer-related charity work here and in Rwanda. Pinning refers to excluding all but the intended response. Unless there's another #24 driver who has done that specific charity work, the clue seems pretty well pinned to me.
Golf

Post by Golf »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:57 pm
Golf wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:35 pm the clue wasn’t even close to being pinned. As you said, other NASCAR drivers has been in the #24 recently. But there’s also many other racing circuits to consider, Indycar, F1, and countless smaller circuits. The clue basically said name the most famous driver of a #24 car.
...who's doing cancer-related charity work here and in Rwanda. Pinning refers to excluding all but the intended response. Unless there's another #24 driver who has done that specific charity work, the clue seems pretty well pinned to me.
They tried to pin it with the 24 but also needed to mention NASCAR. Otherwise there are tens of thousands of people who have driven a 24 car in competition.

It was just a very sloppy clue.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

I have to assume that just "Uranium" would have been accepted for that $1200 clue. I knew that northern Saskatchewan was among the world leaders in uranium mining, but had never heard of the small town of "Uranium City".

That seems like an extremely obscure reference for a $1200 clue. But the wording of the question suggested that more than just "Uranium" was needed.

I guessed Percy Shelley for Final. Thinking of Ozymandias
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Golf wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:17 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:57 pm
They tried to pin it with the 24 but also needed to mention NASCAR. Otherwise there are tens of thousands of people who have driven a 24 car in competition.
...who are doing cancer-related charity work here and in Rwanda? Again, unless there's more than one, the clue is pinned. Regardless of how satisfied you are with "No. 24 driver" as a hint by itself, there was apparently sufficient information in the clue that only Jeff Gordon was correct. That fulfills the definition of pinning.