FJs for the 9/14/20 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 9/14/20 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:50 pm

This Rome building with a name from the Greek was described by Michelangelo as coming from "angelic and not human design"
48%
In 2019, at a 60th anniversary event in Detroit, this producer announced his retirement saying he had "come full circle"
57%
Obituaries called this man who died in 1820 a celebrated colonel, the first settler in Kentucky & a man who delighted in perils & battle
71%
"Los Tres Grandes" were José Clemente Orozco, David Alfaro Siqueiros & him
48%
An 1816 poem by him says, "That with music loud and long, I would build that dome in air, That sunny dome!"
54%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
9%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
4%
CROSS EXAMINATION $1000: Egyptians used the crux ansata, a cross with a loop on top, better known by this 4-letter name
84%
VOLCANOES $2000: In 1883 an explosive eruption of this volcano in the Sunda Strait could be heard nearly 3,000 miles away
87%
THE 18th CENTURY $1200: In 1732 James Oglethorpe secured a royal charter to establish what became this colony
78%
I wrote "Barry" or would have written "Barry" as part of my response for the Monday FJ! clue.
11%
Davy Crockett was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
13%
Picasso was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
33%
Dali was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
7%
For the Friday FJ! clue I made a Kubla Khan and/or Xanadu connection, yet did not know the poet.
9%
At least one of Pantheon, Berry Gordy, Daniel Boone, Diego Rivera or Coleridge was a name unfamiliar to me prior to the relevant FJ! clue.
15%

Total votes: 89

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 9/14/20 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

9/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS BUILDINGS

9/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This Rome building with a name from the Greek was described by Michelangelo as coming from "angelic and not human design"

9/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE MUSIC BIZ

9/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2019, at a 60th anniversary event in Detroit, this producer announced his retirement saying he had "come full circle"

9/16 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY AMERICANS

9/16 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Obituaries called this man who died in 1820 a celebrated colonel, the first settler in Kentucky & a man who delighted in perils & battle

9/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY ARTISTS

9/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"Los Tres Grandes" were José Clemente Orozco, David Alfaro Siqueiros & him

9/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ENGLISH POETS

9/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
An 1816 poem by him says, "That with music loud and long, I would build that dome in air, That sunny dome!"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
the Pantheon
Berry Gordy
Daniel Boone
Diego Rivera
Coleridge
The players were 5/14 (35.71%) with a 1-0-1-2-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have a triple stumper sandwiched by two the players had correct.

CROSS EXAMINATION $1000: Egyptians used the crux ansata, a cross with a loop on top, better known by this 4-letter name

VOLCANOES $2000: In 1883 an explosive eruption of this volcano in the Sunda Strait could be heard nearly 3,000 miles away

THE 18th CENTURY $1200: In 1732 James Oglethorpe secured a royal charter to establish what became this colony

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
ankh
Krakatoa
Georgia
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 9/14/20 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

California city tally by contestant appearances:
Los Angeles x 5 (1 win)
Glendale
Kagel Canyon
La Mirada (1 win)
Riverside (2 wins)
Seal Beach (1 win)
Sherman Oaks
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I got spoiled on the Barry ruling, and hence on the FJ; I've decided not to count it as a get since a 5/5 week doesn't hinge on it, and I'm not so sure I would have come up with him. If I had, I'd be giving myself the benefit of the doubt that I would have spelled his name correctly or gone last name only, since I stopped writing FJ responses after my J! career ended.

I said Picasso, only really wondering whether I ought to go earlier (until I reminded myself of the category).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Parthenon, Picasso
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Got Bærry Gordy pretty quickly, but having picked up his name off a flashcard recently, I wasn't super sure. Spent the next 20 seconds making sure I didn't have it wrong; if I were writing a response, I would have jotted down "Gordy" in the last few seconds. Would have gone with "Barry" if I were forced to write the first name, though.

Thursday's FJ was just nondescript Spanish names to me. In hindsight, not sure how I could have connected it without having seen those names before. Got the other four FJs with little difficulty.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Wrote Berry. As a Northeasterner, it is not pronounced like Barry.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tue - Quincy Jones. The reveal had me go, "Who?..."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Flealick
Contributor

Post by Flealick »

:( :( :( :( :(
:mrgreen: :( :(

First week back to new episodes did not go well for me. Knew they were talking about Motown but couldn't remember Mr. Gordy, and even more frustratingly drew a blank of Rivera, I knew it was Frida Khalo's on-and-off husband, but the name just wouldn't come to me, no matter how many times I encountered it as a kid playing Carmen San Diego. Probably should have gotten Friday's clue and avoided being skunked, but my mind went to Ozymandias, which I knew wasn't right, but couldn't get off it, so I guessed Shelly.

Averaged $21,520 for the week, a bit low for me but respectable, especially considering how bad I felt I was doing this week (Wedensday's episode was my third lowest score on record, though to be fair I haven't been keeping records very long). Lots of answers I thought I knew, so lots of deductions.
davey

Post by davey »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

More or less mixed up Panthe- and Parthen-. Should have focused on Detroit to solve Tuesday, but I still might have blanked on the name, whatever the spelling...
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( Went with the popular distracters on the two misses.
OK, I couldn't pull Rivera or Coleridge, but I have heard of them. :geek:
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(

I think I had the best wrong answer three times with Quincy Jones, and Picasso and Byron. Gordy just didn't come to me, but I picked the other two over Rivera and Coleridge. Both times, it was just a matter of not knowing enough.

Rivera/Picasso. Told my wife if its Mexico, its Rivera, if its Spain, its Picasso, never thought of Dali. I wish I had, I didn't recognize the other two in the clue, but had I thought of Dali, I would have thought he should be on the list as one "tres grandes" in Spain, it would have pushed me to Rivera. Ever see it again, you know its about muralism as well.

Based on precall and when they gave me 1816. I had Bryon, Coleridge, Shelly and Wordsworth in about 5 seconds. I know a couple of the titles for each, but I really don't know the poems. Its not my thing.

Rough week. Did pick up 14/15 on daily doubles.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Completely unfamiliar with the first line of "Kubla Khan", that is until now. Guessed with Shelley.

I wrote down "Berry Gordy".
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

That's a good start to the season.

Forget what I said Monday; I couldn't talk myself into remembering there was a building called the Pantheon.
No response Tuesday. I wouldn't say I'd never heard of Berry Gordy, but I'd never have come up with him either. No idea how I would have spelled it, but Barry Gordy should have counted.
Wednesday... I never remotely considered Crockett. No, Kentucky and colonel were leading me in a different direction I'm glad I talked myself out of.
Picasso Thursday.
Friday I immediately cottoned onto the poem, but talked myself into Tennyson instead of Coleridge.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

--- :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:---

I'd be happy if the show didn't regard "Berry" and "Barry" as homophones. My memory, though, is that it does, so, bad ruling.

I was pretty confident about Rivera, though I didn't know either of the other two names. I just had to remember that Diego Garcia was a remote island in the Indian Ocean (I considered spoilering the latter name so as not to pollute anyone's brain, but it does make a few appearances in the archive).
I'm smart and I want respect.
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Knew what an ankh was, but drew a blank.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :x :(

The this is the first time I did worse than 3/5 in a week of new shows since February 17-21 of this year; missed a 50/50/90 on Thursday, saying Picasso instead :x

Stats for this week:
Average coryat = $26,160
Average correct: 32.6
Average incorrect: 4.6
DDs: 12/15
FJ!: 2/5
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Shaquebanisa wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:59 am :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Knew what an ankh was, but drew a blank.
Should have drawn the Egyptian symbol of life instead.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen:
Though I disagree vehemently with the judges' ruling, I counted my response of "Barry Gordy" incorrect as it would have been on the show.

Both Daniel Boone and Diego Rivera were pretty obvious in retrospect, but didn't occur to me in time.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.