Monday, September 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MDCSWildcats86
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, September 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Nice to see OZZY'S BONEYARD mentioned on J! today.

Nailed FJ! today. They must have wanted a triget today.

From someone who would have titled the category SECOND JOBS and worded the clue so that it was gender-free.

After all, how many early 20th C. educators did Italy produce that have celebrity status other than Maria Montessori?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought the Room category was very poorly pinned. I almost said "walk-in freezer" at $200, I have no idea how "war room" BMSes to "situation room" (not like I've heard of either anyway), and almost WAGged "library" at $800. Also NHO "vestry" to my knowledge.

-2/5 in Templeton Prize. Guessed Pulitzer and New Delhi, which rattled me enough to clam on the next three even though I would have been right on all three.

So many brain farts in DJ! No idea how I didn't get "chai" and most of the Rock Stars clues.

New Technology completely eluded me. I could have taken 500 guesses at $400 and never gotten "scents".

No guess on FJ! Can't say I recognize the correct response at all.

Lach Trash: rivers, parlor, Oxford
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I really like the "Is it ... ?" form of a question.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I said game room instead of parlor. Judges?

It is nice Carter energized half the town and an Iowa woman fostered a bunch of kids. But Mark Hamill made a phone call. Step up your game, Mr. President.

Instaget FJ.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:30 pm I said game room instead of parlor. Judges?
Clue already had "games" in it, so I say no.
davey

Post by davey »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:33 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:30 pm I said game room instead of parlor. Judges?
Yeah, I don't think games were named for the game room...But parlor games were named for the parlor.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

davey wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:16 pm
Yeah, I don't think games were named for the game room...But parlor games were named for the parlor.
I spaced on parlor, and blurted "drawing room." I dimly remember that ..... maybe Lestrade? Or someone in an Agatha Christie? Or an Auguste Dupin story? ..... the put-upon cop may have said something like "None of your drawing room games, now, Mr. [insert detective name]" at some point. However, I can't find that quote anywhere.

I did find this: https://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Room-Gam ... 1330049217

Wonder if that would be enough to justify allowing "drawing room."
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Was anyone else thrown for a loop on "It's where the sub-zero goes"? Sub-zero + room led me to "walk-in freezer", which I couldn't quite justify as a "room" and I couldn't for the life of me backtrack to "freezers are usually in a kitchen".
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:46 pm Was anyone else thrown for a loop on "It's where the sub-zero goes"?
Yes. I had never heard of a sub-zero (or, Sub-Zero, as it is apparently a brand name) before. I thought maybe it was one of those deep-freezers, so I put it in the garage. Ideal range for a freezer is around 0 to 5F, so I don't know why you'd call it Sub-Zero anyway. :)
davey

Post by davey »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:05 pm
davey wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:16 pm
I spaced on parlor, and blurted "drawing room." I dimly remember that ..... maybe Lestrade? Or someone in an Agatha Christie? Or an Auguste Dupin story? ..... the put-upon cop may have said something like "None of your drawing room games, now, Mr. [insert detective name]" at some point. However, I can't find that quote anywhere.

I did find this: https://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Room-Gam ... 1330049217

Wonder if that would be enough to justify allowing "drawing room."
This backs the book up a bit (see the next-to-last paragraph)-
https://downtonabbeyuk.tumblr.com/post/ ... ristmas-by
I think drawing room is the upper-class version of the bourgeois parlor, so there's that...

Parlor games is better because people still use it...even though nobody has a parlor.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

For FJ I actually put Cabrini down first and then switched it to Montessori.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:43 pm For FJ I actually put Cabrini down first and then switched it to Montessori.
My mother went to school with Cabrini, though not home, because Cabrini had already gone home.
I'm smart and I want respect.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

DBear wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:10 pm Can't really blame the contestants for avoiding Nasdaq X.
Oh, I can. I was screaming at the TV!

I hesitated on the John C. Calhoun DD. It's always exciting when the last clue of the round is a DD. Not sure I would have had the nerve to go all in on that bottom row clue, though.

Precalled Montessori! I think NOTABLE WOMEN (or similar) would have been a better name for the category
Leander

Post by Leander »

econgator wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:10 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:46 pm Was anyone else thrown for a loop on "It's where the sub-zero goes"?
Yes. I had never heard of a sub-zero (or, Sub-Zero, as it is apparently a brand name) before. I thought maybe it was one of those deep-freezers, so I put it in the garage. Ideal range for a freezer is around 0 to 5F, so I don't know why you'd call it Sub-Zero anyway. :)
Sub-Zero is a brand of $10,000+ refrigerator/freezers, popular in expensive mansions and obviously well known to the Jeopardy writing staff :lol:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Leander wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:29 pm
econgator wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:10 pm
Sub-Zero is a brand of $10,000+ refrigerator/freezers, popular in expensive mansions and obviously well known to the Jeopardy writing staff :lol:
I'm over here going, "What room does Sub-Zero go in? Any one he wants to. I don't want to get fatailitied..."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

This may have been one of the easiest pre-call FJs ever.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:31 pm This may have been one of the easiest pre-call FJs ever.
This game had one of my easiest precalls ever: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1235

Poets would have been more wide open. Poems had me all but certain what was coming.