Tuesday, September 22, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AlphaDummy
Valued Contributor

Re: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AlphaDummy »

DBear wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:28 pm Jeers to the contestants for running away from Westward Ho.
Fell for India in FJ :(
Another opportunity in my life that I will never have:

"I'll take 'Ho' for a thousand dollars"...
mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mahatma »

AlphaDummy wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:40 pm
DBear wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:28 pm Jeers to the contestants for running away from Westward Ho.

I think you meant to say 'rake'.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Lefty wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:58 pm That is a good question. What history has "th" for "Thailand" have, pre- internet codes? I think internet codes deserve as much respect as state postal codes, but has the show given it in the past?
The internet code for Thailand is .th, so even if she did mean the internet code, she forgot the dot. If we start allowing use of ISO codes to stand in for countries, then I think we're just getting ridiculous.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $45,200 (51R, 1W)
DD 2/3
FJ :(

+1 for falling for the India trap on FJ. Too slow on DD1, but if I had 1-2 extra seconds I would have gotten there. Not good enough to get credit.

In hindsight, I can see the (white) elephant --> Thailand connection, but the existence of a book with the same title that points to India makes it pinned on the date, which is a bit tough given that we aren't talking about a major literary work. Bah.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

econgator wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:39 pm The internet code for Thailand is .th, so even if she did mean the internet code, she forgot the dot. If we start allowing use of ISO codes to stand in for countries, then I think we're just getting ridiculous.
Standard abbreviations should count. Those 2-letter abbreviations are used in a lot of i18n contexts, not just TLDs, and the dot is not part of them
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:57 pm Coryat $45,200 (51R, 1W)
DD 2/3

+1 for falling for the India trap on FJ. Too slow on DD1, but if I had 1-2 extra seconds I would have gotten there. Not good enough to get credit.

In hindsight, I can see the (white) elephant --> Thailand connection, but the existence of a book with the same title that points to India makes it pinned on the date, which is a bit tough given that we aren't talking about a major literary work. Bah.
Definitely one of those "knowing too much can hurt you" clues, but "elephant" is pavlovian for Thailand
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

AntmanB wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:22 pm TS Beta Preempted Jeopardy in the Houston Area Today.
Helluva thing when we run out of letters in the Roman alphabet and have to start over using the Greek alphabet to keep count of the year's tropical storms. (said the guy who grew up on the Gulf Coast and went through a few of them).

Dana seems like a pretty good player, as her two solid wins testify. And yet her inflection suggests to me that she can hardly believe her responses are correct. I wonder what's up with that?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Another India here.

Someone posted this link on the LL message board.

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/book/the-e ... engagement
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

AlphaDummy wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:40 pm

Don’t worry, “around the world” is sure to make another appearance.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:03 pm
mas3cf wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:57 pm Coryat $45,200 (51R, 1W)
DD 2/3

Definitely one of those "knowing too much can hurt you" clues, but "elephant" is pavlovian for Thailand
TIL. Still though, there is literally a subspecies of elephant called the "Indian elephant."

It didn't help me that I have been in a car in India and seen people riding elephants in the traffic lanes. Tough to swat away that mental image.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Looking up the United Nations list of 193 countries on Wikipedia, "Thailand" is the only one that begins with "Th", and the only one on the list that begins with a "T" and has an "h" anywhere in the name. On the one hand, I think there's a good case to be generous here - I think that's the theory when using postal abbreviations for states even when there's no reference to postal abbreviations in the FJ!. On the other hand, if she had simply managed to write down "Thai", I think it would have been even more clear. I guess you could say she could have been starting to write "The United Arab Emirates" or some other country that begins with "The",

As far as the "India" response, I think 1833 is a reasonable attempt to pin the clue away from India. That's the year the US and Thailand established diplomatic relations - I don't know if 1833 has any significance in US/India relations. Plus, the book about India is about economics more than diplomacy. They could have done a better job of pinning it, but it was decent.

I did manage to get it, but mainly via "white elephant" - a gift that's expensive and/or a pain in the rear to maintain. Or, alternately, a gift exchange where you steal gifts - Howie Mandel did this as a game show a few years ago. I knew it had its origins in Thailand, and also knew there was a history of elephants in Thailand. Plus, I'd just seen "The King and I" on PBS - the king was shocked that the US didn't have elephants, and wanted to send Lincoln an elephant, IIRC.

I honestly thought FJ! was way easier than it turned out to be. I thought for sure at least 2 would say Thailand, given it's the national symbol of the country - I imagine the same kind of association as cows with India and the Hindu religion.

I had the wrong method of Giordano Bruno's death - I went with defenestration because it would be cooler, but I clammed because I'd NHO Giordano Bruno.

Sicily + crime group = mafia is a bottom row clue? Fugheddaboutit.

I wanted Dana to continue her Dana Hill hat trick of creative questions by asking "How is Howe?", but it didn't happen.

Isn't a "nunnery"...um....how to put this delicately....NOT a place where nuns would go? Particularly how Shakespeare famously used it in Hamlet.

they're going to have to be a little more cryptic if they want anyone to get e e cumings wrong - the typeface gave it away.

Any credit for "Kathy Bates" instead of "Gertrude Stein"? If I'd only had more time...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:59 pm Tyler found DD3 at clue 23 with a category and two $2000 clues remaining.

Dana: 23600
Tyler: 11200
Reshima: 3600

What to do? What to do? Tyler lost $4000 to have Dana in place for a lock. Tyler managed to do enough in the last 7 clues to prevent the runaway.
Actually, he didn't. If Dana hadn't helped him out by losing $2000 with her guess of noted American author Jean-Paul Sartre, Tyler would've remained locked out.
davey

Post by davey »

Lefty wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:58 pm

As for today's FJ, I like it. Elephants seem to go with a number of south Asian states, but who has such a long history of sovereignty? It's rough, I'll grant, on someone who read the wrong "Eagle and the Elephant" book.
Well, if you read the other book, you'd presumably know that it didn't go back to 1833... :ugeek:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Burma. That's the country after India I associate most with elephants, and it seems they have more of them than any country but India. I admit, I forgot or never noticed Thailand's association with the animal (though I have seen The King and I...)
So I thought the response was Burma, but then I thought, how are we supposed to narrow this?, and decided to go with the more "obvious" response of India. I guess I should have considered the non-sovereignty issue more closely. But Thailand would not have been choice #3...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

For the $400 J round clue in the right hand column, the category name could've been WESTWARD "HO"!

I'm disappointed we didn't get AMERICANS IN PARIS in the J round followed up by AMERICANS IN PAIRS in the DJ round. The latter category would, of course, include a clue about George and Ira Gershwin. Speaking of whom, I believe "Who is Gershwin?" should always be BMS'ed. Prove to me you know which one's the composer, which the lyricist or no points for you.

I wonder if we need a mini-poll on how FJ played out. My votes/answers/responses are as follows:

- 1833 pins the clue. India is wrong.

- The show has no obligation to issue a re-invite to Tyler because of the other book with that title. I might change my mind on that if Tyler buttonholed someone official right after the show (before having any chance to do research) and said that he was thinking of the book by Raymond E. Vickery Jr. It makes a difference to me whether he was swayed by his knowledge of that book and its subject matter. I'd definitely change my mind if it turns out that the Vickery book also uses 1833 as its starting point.

- Th should not be accepted, any more than Se or Ca should work for Sweden and Canada.

- Got FJ wrong with India. I thought about Thailand (and for some reason Singapore). But that struck me as too obscure so I went with the obvious. :roll: )

- Clue's on the tough side, but if the Vickery book didn't exist, I'd have no quarrel with it. As it is, I personally have no quarrel with the clue. I didn't know about the Vickery book and was in no way swayed by it. To anyone who did know and was swayed, that sucks and this was one bogus clue. (Serious. No sarcasm.)
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:18 pm
- Th should not be accepted, any more than Se or Ca should work for Sweden and Canada.
"Tiramisù was invented in this country."

"What is it?"

"Correct!"
nadroj93
Contributor

Post by nadroj93 »

This was one of those games that felt like it was handpicked for me. I set an all-time personal Coryat record at $45,000! The only things I didn't know: bottom three in the You Gotta Fight! category, nonfiction (brain too slow), Henry Miller, and Bonnaroo.

I double checked my math because I didn't believe I had gotten that high. Whiffed on final (went China trying to think about the year), but I am not at all upset about it with everything else going so well.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:00 pm I had the wrong method of Giordano Bruno's death - I went with defenestration because it would be cooler, but I clammed because I'd NHO Giordano Bruno.
Should have watched the 2014 Cosmos premiere when you had the chance. Giordano Bruno's burning at the stake animation was really well done.
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:00 pm As far as the "India" response, I think 1833 is a reasonable attempt to pin the clue away from India. That's the year the US and Thailand established diplomatic relations - I don't know if 1833 has any significance in US/India relations. Plus, the book about India is about economics more than diplomacy. They could have done a better job of pinning it, but it was decent.
As previously mentioned, there being no India in 1833 makes relations with it difficult to have.
The date was my biggest TOM. "Country with elephants in 1833s Asia? Siam." (Though I did write Thailand)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Leander

Post by Leander »

I played FJ off the Clue of the Day and said Thailand, then googled the book title and came up with India. Very relieved when I actually watched the show.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:25 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:18 pm
"Tiramisù was invented in this country."

"What is it?"

" Correct!"
It's a coffee flavored Italian dessert, but that’s not important right now.

FIFY
Total game show career losings = $171,522