Wednesday, September 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, September 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Reluctant to write what became her most famous novel, she said, “Never liked girls or knew many, except my sisters”

Dana Hill: 8200+8200=16400
Lisa Grove: 9200+9100=18300
Robert Kaine: 14400+4001=18401 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
(Louisa May) Alcott

Daily Doubles
Robert: 2200-2200
Robert: 9200+3000
Robert: 14600-3000

Coryats
Dana: 8200
Lisa:9200
Robert: 17800

Combined: 35,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Dana: 1000
Lisa: 400
Robert: 3600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Here's Robert and a Lego video: https://www.youtube.com/embed/ljhTK3N_xWc

He wore a Lego bowtie on the show today.

Another "genre" for Alex today for those keeping count.

Dana had her glasses on for introductions and the first segment. When Alex began chats Dana had her glasses on but they were off by the time he got to her and they remained off for the rest of the show.

Robert was 2/4 on big clues and today that was good enough.

The FJ! category had me try five precalls: Twain, Grisham, Pearl Buck, Harper Lee and Hemingway.

The FJ! clue had me join the players and it should go over 90% in the poll. I would say 95%, but there's always the chance of someone figuring out the work and erring on the author with someone like Stowe.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R (Missed the Bottom Two in TV Inspirations and Don Lemon.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Dulcimer), Clavichord, Rockies, Cheese, Censure, Conjunction, Netherlands, (Methane), Radon, Gulf of Tonkin, Six-Day War
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:32 pm 54 R (Missed the Bottom Two in TV Inspirations and Don Lemon.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Dulcimer), Clavichord, Rockies, Cheese, Censure, Conjunction, Netherlands, (Methane), Radon, Gulf of Tonkin, Six-Day War
Perfect game between the two of us. ;)
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Nice work, Robert!

Thanks for the "genre" count.

We missed the first part of the show here in Chicago as local officials reacted to the Breonna Taylor case.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $42,200 (47R, 0W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

8 games into the season, so far we've only seen 61 clues once. :(
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Instaget FJ.

Someone once told me that guys who wear bow ties tend to be characters. Robert wearing one made out of Lego confirms to that stereotype.

Didn’t know Don Lemon worked in Birmingham. It was actually at the news station I normally watch. But from looking at his bio, he was a weekend anchor in the early 1990s, not a time in my life would have been watching the weekend news.
Last edited by Bamaman on Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I really liked Robert's calm demeanor. I'll enjoy watching to see how far he can go.

Final was Teen Jeopardy difficulty.
davey

Post by davey »

For some reason I couldn't get out of the 20th C. for FJ authors, and so I had Laura Ingalls Wilder until about :31, when it all became clear... :oops: :oops:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Did anyone else hear Lisa pronounce Edward Murrow's name as "Morrow?" I was expecting a reversal for that.

Also has anyone else noticed Dana's glasses being fogged at the start of her shows? Tonight my wife speculated it's because the contestants are wearing masks until right before the cameras come on. That makes a lot of sense.

edit: by the way, Murrow's original first name was Egbert and the R. middle initial is for "Roscoe." :D
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:09 pm

Also has anyone else noticed Dana's glasses being fogged at the start of her shows? Tonight my wife speculated it's because the contestants are wearing masks until right before the cameras come on. That makes a lot of sense.

I've noticed that my glasses fog up when I'm out, particularly grocery shopping,. :geek:
Could not parse the last DD. Thought they were going for swamp or marsh gas. :?
No controversy on this FJ, straight-up softball. :mrgreen:
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:09 pm Did anyone else hear Lisa pronounce Edward Murrow's name as "Morrow?" I was expecting a reversal for that.
I thought I heard "Morrow" too.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

squarekara wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:09 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:09 pm Did anyone else hear Lisa pronounce Edward Murrow's name as "Morrow?" I was expecting a reversal for that.
That’s what I heard too, but I’m sort of ok letting it go; it’s a pretty fine distinction. OTOH, maybe Alex should have asked her to repeat it.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

cthulhu wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:23 am
That’s what I heard too, but I’m sort of ok letting it go; it’s a pretty fine distinction. OTOH, maybe Alex should have asked her to repeat it.
They seem both to be renderings of the same Gaelic name. She should probably have said "Murchadh" to be safe.
I'm smart and I want respect.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Well, at least I'm not the only one to think FJ! was a slam-dunk. It took me a little more than 2 seconds to think "Dang it, who wrote Little Women? I hope that's in my database of Pavlovs...", but it was. Other than the names of the four sisters (Amy, Jo, Beth, and....oops, I had to look up Meg), I didn't know anything about the story other than "vaguely mid-eighteenth century" and "a book every little girl has read". That is, until I saw the movie last January - in fact, it's the second-to-last non-premium (ie non-NT Live) movie I saw in the theater, next to 1917.

Anyone else sing "Sunday Bloody Sunday", or is that just me?

I was a little surprised that they didn't BMS for "Tampa Bay" as a team. There was a team name ("Patriots"), not a city, state, or region name, referenced in the clue. There are three professional "Tampa Bay" teams in the Big Four ("Bucks"/Buccaneers, "Bolts"/Lightning, and Rays), and the name of the team isn't "Tampa Bay", it's "The Buccaneers".

That said, sometimes I feel like a failed attempt at a BMS should allow a contestant a free pass, and money shouldn't be deducted. It's punishment enough that, if the contestant were unable to complete "Tampa Bay" with "Buccaneers", he's given the other two contestants a HUGE hint. Plus, the contestant would have demonstrated partial knowledge. Of course, rules are rules, and there's no way you could consistently make a ruling like that if you were to allow the rule.

Of course, being from Boston, that clue makes me bitter.

Montgomery....church...denomination...bottom row...hell yeah, let's go with AME because it should be hard! Ooops. My eyes flew over the most salient part of the clue - King. That's actually kind of a gap in my knowledge - I knew MLK was a minister/preacher/reverend, and I probably would have guessed/assumed that he was Baptist and not AME, but I'd never looked it up.

That Mesopotamia clue was weird. I think I was primed by Sarah's mentioning that the region was "fertile" - as she said that word and I saw two South American rivers on the map, I just sort of blanked out and almost gave up, thinking, "Oh, that's the same kind of configuration of the Tigris and Euphrates in Mesopotamia that Ms. Palmer taught me in fourth grade." Then Sarah got to the rest of the clue, and I quickly noted that Mesopotamia had greater than 9 and less than 13 letters, so it seemed close enough to fit.

"Kim Sung" for "Kim Il-Sung"? There's at least a 50/50 chance that I say "Il Sung" when BMSed, and not "Un Sung". Probably greater. It's reverse-pinned - "Kim Jong" would require "Il" or "Un", so I guess "Sung" would require the prefix "Il".
davey

Post by davey »

cthulhu wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:23 am
In my opinion, she said Marrow...you know, with an a like Barry...or maybe it was Merrow...Honestly, this policing of people's vowels is tough work!... :lol:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:43 am I was a little surprised that they didn't BMS for "Tampa Bay" as a team. There was a team name ("Patriots"), not a city, state, or region name, referenced in the clue. There are three professional "Tampa Bay" teams in the Big Four ("Bucks"/Buccaneers, "Bolts"/Lightning, and Rays), and the name of the team isn't "Tampa Bay", it's "The Buccaneers".
Bucs, not Bucks and "Tampa Bay" is 100% acceptable, as football was also referenced in the clue.