Wednesday, September 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:12 am
talkingaway wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:43 am I was a little surprised that they didn't BMS for "Tampa Bay" as a team. There was a team name ("Patriots"), not a city, state, or region name, referenced in the clue. There are three professional "Tampa Bay" teams in the Big Four ("Bucks"/Buccaneers, "Bolts"/Lightning, and Rays), and the name of the team isn't "Tampa Bay", it's "The Buccaneers".
Bucs, not Bucks and "Tampa Bay" is 100% acceptable, as football was also referenced in the clue.
What about TB? :D
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:54 am
talkingaway wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:43 am I was a little surprised that they didn't BMS for "Tampa Bay" as a team. There was a team name ("Patriots"), not a city, state, or region name, referenced in the clue. There are three professional "Tampa Bay" teams in the Big Four ("Bucks"/Buccaneers, "Bolts"/Lightning, and Rays), and the name of the team isn't "Tampa Bay", it's "The Buccaneers".
Bucs, not Bucks and "Tampa Bay" is 100% acceptable, as football was also referenced in the clue.
What about TB? :D
That or Tompa Bay.
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

I don't see a direct football/NFL reference in the clue: "I have things to prove to myself," explained Tom Brady about moving to this team after 20 seasons with the Patriots.

You could argue that "Tom Brady = football", or "Patriots = football" are pretty obvious connections, and they are. But of the 126 Big 4 teams (I own a Kraken hat; they're real now), I think you could find at least 1 where you say the league and the city, and at least 10% of J! contestants might not get the team name on time. I'm not a huge basketball fan and I'm on the east, so I'd have a little difficulty coming up with "Pelicans" for New Orleans, or "Kings" for Sacramento. I don't know why - it's just whenever I see those team names, I do a little double take.

Of course, I don't know the J! precedent that's been set. If "City name is sufficient except for when the league has two teams in the market like Chicago White Sox/Cubs", fine. But if Tom had joined the Giants, surely "New York" wouldn't have worked.

If they can BMS or pause a beat for "Les Mis" to morph into "Les Miserables" (I'm 90% sure I've seen a contestant self-correct this, but don't know for sure if they ever had to do this), they can ask specifically which Tampa team Tom went to.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:44 pm
I don't see a direct football/NFL reference in the clue: "I have things to prove to myself," explained Tom Brady about moving to this team after 20 seasons with the Patriots.

You could argue that "Tom Brady = football", or "Patriots = football" are pretty obvious connections, and they are. But of the 126 Big 4 teams (I own a Kraken hat; they're real now), I think you could find at least 1 where you say the league and the city, and at least 10% of J! contestants might not get the team name on time. I'm not a huge basketball fan and I'm on the east, so I'd have a little difficulty coming up with "Pelicans" for New Orleans, or "Kings" for Sacramento. I don't know why - it's just whenever I see those team names, I do a little double take.

Of course, I don't know the J! precedent that's been set. If "City name is sufficient except for when the league has two teams in the market like Chicago White Sox/Cubs", fine. But if Tom had joined the Giants, surely "New York" wouldn't have worked.

If they can BMS or pause a beat for "Les Mis" to morph into "Les Miserables" (I'm 90% sure I've seen a contestant self-correct this, but don't know for sure if they ever had to do this), they can ask specifically which Tampa team Tom went to.
I don't know full chapter and verse on Jeopardy's precedents, but in many quizzing areas it is pretty standard to accept either team name or city/geographic identifier, barring cases where that is not unique within the sport, such as New York for NHL, Chicago for MLB, or Los Angeles for NBA. I think most players would give the team name so even digging through the Archive, one may not find many precedents with a player simply answering with a city/region.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Part of Speech.

Like the contestant, I bit on the "harpsichord" negbait and was floored by it being wrong since it cost me a run in a wheelhouse category. Couldn't get to "clavichord" on the rebound.

Like the contestants, I also brain-farted on the Rockies.

I despise Adam Levine and The Voice so I was clueless there.

Yes, I got the Vince Gill clue.

I should have run Gases, but had a bad brain cramp and just couldn't pull anything past $400.

No guess on FJ! Just hit a brick wall and couldn't think of anything.

Lach Trash: cheese, conjunction. also got the "dulcimer" DD.