Wednesday, October 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, October 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AWARDS & HONOREES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He used his 1983 Pritzker Prize money on a scholarship fund for Chinese students to study their profession in the United States

Brian Adams: 12000+8000=20000
Scott Shrum: 17800+6300=24100 (New Champ)
Jennifer Spinos: minus 400

Correct response:
Spoiler
I.M. Pei (Brian added Love you BBHS PAC! for Big Bear High School performing arts club

Daily Doubles
Brian: 400-1000
Scott: 8000+5000
DD3 not played

Coryats
Brian: 13000
Scott: 14400
Jennifer: minus 400

Combined: 27,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Brian: 3200
Scott: 6000
Jennifer: minus 400
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

I think what ultimately sealed Brian's fate was his tendency to guess incorrectly. It's hard to keep winning games with an average of 3-5 incorrect responses per episode, and I think in this game going against a strong opponent in Scott, it caught up with him. Nevertheless I enjoyed his 3-game run on the show, and he was definitely quite hilarious at times both with his responses and his reactions.

Also, as a Vegas native, I'm kind of bummed Jennifer didn't do so well.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

In case anyone was curious about Jennifer's tattoos:
Spoiler
Jennifer also drew the peace sign next to her name when signing in.

The players went to IN THE WEEDS with two categories remaining instead of BOOKS OF 2020. I did not like the choice at the time, but $2400 in weeds for me may have been better than if books played to completion as I can't guarantee I get $800 and $1000 in books.

FROM S TO T $200: Taking this is one way to move up the standings in a marathon, but not for long

Brian was negged for "a sprint" and Scott rebounded with the wanted & expected, "shortcut". My timed competitive race experience is only junior high mandatory laps around the yard for a mile. Rosie Ruiz's Boston Marathon shortcut was illegal. What is a legal shortcut in a marathon? Cutting a corner or taking a curve well.

Would not a sprint move you up in the standings in a marathon, but not for long?

The clue about the Stephen King book did not surprise for which novella it keyed on as I read that first for a 3-1-2-4 reading order. Did anyone here who read the book take it 1-2-3-4?

Nice move by Scott on DD2 to go for $5000 as he seemed comfortable with BANDS OF THE 21st CENTURY.

With a different clue selection it's possible that Brian finds DD3 and puts himself in ToC possibilities. WHAT'S YOUR "I.P." ADDRESS? is not unlikely for a DD though my instincts told me ($400, 1600 & 2000 unplayed) that ANCIENT CONTEMPORARIES was the better place to look for it. Scott had some $400 box selections and time did run out, so it all worked out well for him.

The FJ! category had me precall: Newbery/Caldecott, Pritzker, and making sure I knew Lincoln Center was NYC and Kennedy Center was D.C.

The FJ! clue had me happy I sniffed out well on my precall and I knew what to do with "Pritzker" & "Chinese" to lock up the solve like the gentlemen did.

In watching Scott and listening to Alex I was not sure of the outcome. I'll admit to kind of hoping Scott wrote someone like Yo-Yo Ma.

Nope, with a sample size of 2 the last name Shrum is perfect for winning game 1. Scott has more work to do to match our Kevin here.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Es ist fertig: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6854

3R 1W for Jennifer to go with a DJ! skunk round.

No 4th podium win available with "only" 13 TS worth $14,800 available.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Ok, I want to see the source saying that Centennial, CO was named for the Michener novel. :x
Easy money available in Ancient Contemporaries. :)
Could not come up with I.M. Pei. :( Briefly thought of the Dalai Lama, didn't have a guess.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $39,600 (45R, 0W)
DD 2/2
FJ :mrgreen:

Booooooo to leaving $4k worth of ancient history material on the board!

Should have had "High Hopes" - I have a flashcard for it but couldn't pull it fast enough. A few awkwardly worded clues in this game.
Last edited by mas3cf on Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

DBear wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:38 pm Ok, I want to see the source saying that Centennial, CO was named for the Michener novel. :x
Easy money available in Ancient Contemporaries. :)
Could not come up with I.M. Pei. :( Briefly thought of the Dalai Lama, didn't have a guess.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial,_Colorado

According to this, the city wasn’t incorporated until 2001 and took its name from Colorado being the Centennial State. (This nickname I knew).

I also negged with sprint. The old saying “It’s a marathon, not a sprint” came to mind. My son ran his first marathon a couple weeks ago. Better him than me.

Hated it for Jen. Never even rang in during the DJ round.

Instaget FJ.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

I’m confused by the Y2K clue. How could the NYT publish an article on 12/31/99 saying that it wasn’t a problem? Didn’t they need to wait until after midnight to be sure? Or was the article a prediction?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Woppy T wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:49 pm I’m confused by the Y2K clue. How could the NYT publish an article on 12/31/99 saying that it wasn’t a problem? Didn’t they need to wait until after midnight to be sure? Or was the article a prediction?
Same way the headline "Dewey Defeats Truman" made it to print, but with less egg on face.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Thomas Mann a triple stumper again!? Could we get a poll question please? I refuse to believe no one's ever heard of this guy

I had a sloppy game, but I scooped up a lot of trash

My DVR spazzed out just as Alex was delivering the sad news to Jen. Grrrr. I live for "this just wasn't your day"!

Nice fake-out by Alex on the FJ reveal

Too much extraneous chatter from the players for my liking. Stop emoting and find the DD!

Bad Pavlovs: Ancient + Lives ==> Seutonius every time. Argh. I have a blind spot for Plutarch
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:05 pm Too much extraneous chatter from the players for my liking. Stop emoting and find the DD!
This. I was getting excited at the prospects of fast talkers and quick pickers like Aimee and Colin last week. This week has been the opposite with slow stumpers and too much chit chat before pondering the next clue. Only 54 clues and 2 DD's just isn't fun (10% less fun technically) to watch no matter how close the scores.

Instaget FJ
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I can't see how "sprint" is wrong for the marathon clue. Fits the category - S to T. Fits the clue perfectly - if you "take a sprint", then you will go up in the standings, but in all probability, it won't last for long due to exhaustion. Compare to "shortcut", where, if it's not discovered, you can stay high in the standings for as long as you want. The only quibble is that "take a sprint" is slightly awkward phrasing - awkward, but not non-grammatical, and not completely non-idiomatic. You could say "walk for 4 minutes, then take a sprint for 2, then walk for 2 more...", which sounds pretty natural. I'd probably just say "sprint for 2", but I'm sure someone's said it.

I think the problem with InstaPot was that when you say it that way, it's one word - so it loses the P required by the category. Alex didn't quite explain it correctly. The pinning to Dr. Robert Wang also makes it wrong, but he's not exactly canon.

No offense to California, but I hope they're able to open the pool soon, although I definitely understand why. I wouldn't be surprised if we've had more pre-FJ! eliminated contestants already this season than in all of last season, although it could be just my selective memory. Of course, opening the pool would also mean that the pandemic is ending, which would be a bigger deal to me...and, unfortunately, that's not the case yet.

Didn't know what the Pritzker prize was for, so I was basically sunk for FJ. I tried to go the Chicago route from the Pritzker family, but that obviously was going nowhere. A good two-parter FJ clue - what's the Pritzker Prize for, and what man of Chinese heritage won it?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

+1 for they should have taken 'sprint'. It fit the clue.
ClosingTime
Valued Contributor

Post by ClosingTime »

Has there ever been another contestant who never had a positive score at any point in the game?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

alietr wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:36 pm +1 for they should have taken 'sprint'. It fit the clue.
They absolutely would not have accepted the four-letter word starting with S and ending with T and preceded by "take a ___" that I could not get out of my head to save my life.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Another "sprint" response here.

26/27 in DJ, no issues solving FJ. Congrats to the not rock star on a great run and to Scott for his victory.
ClosingTime wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:42 pm Has there ever been another contestant who never had a positive score at any point in the game?
Susan Gress (KJ Game 7) was the first name that came to mind, and there must be others. I can't imagine it's a terribly long list. Excellent observation!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Did anyone catch the sly sheepish grin Alex gave to the camera when announcing that Jen would select first in DJ after Tuesday's mistake?

Has been a while since a player was completely shut out of ringing in even once in the DJ round.
davey

Post by davey »

DBear wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:38 pm Ok, I want to see the source saying that Centennial, CO was named for the Michener novel. :x
Here are 2, maybe not definitive--
https://www.larryhotz.com/suburbs-denve ... -home-town
https://www.coloradovirtuallibrary.org/ ... entennial/