Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by econgator »

New rundles are up. Season starts Wed, Nov 4th.

Also, if you need any Early Access, the first 3 days are available and there is no limit on the number of days you can eventually request.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by cmp146 »

Placeholder for Jboard list!
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

Just got my heads-up from Thorsten in the mail. Season 87 already? Life comes at you fast.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

It begins...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Ten days ago was my ninth anniversary of registering on LearnedLeague. Ten days from now is the ninth anniversary of my first match day. Back then, you didn't log in to the site to submit your answers; you filled in the answer form and picked your name from a drop-down list. That still seems ripe for exploitation to me, but I guess at the size LL was then, that wasn't a concern. (Or was just becoming enough of a concern; logging in became a thing shortly after that season, LL51, concluded.)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:48 pm Ten days ago was my ninth anniversary of registering on LearnedLeague. Ten days from now is the ninth anniversary of my first match day. Back then, you didn't log in to the site to submit your answers; you filled in the answer form and picked your name from a drop-down list. That still seems ripe for exploitation to me, but I guess at the size LL was then, that wasn't a concern. (Or was just becoming enough of a concern; logging in became a thing shortly after that season, LL51, concluded.)
Interesting. I had no idea that things were that different from when I joined in LL60. I wonder how many accidental entries were submitted.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Back in A Taiga!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So on a day where a map of the United States appears often on TV, we get a question that can be more easily answered by looking at a map of the United States.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Lol - I put caviar for the Jell-O question! That was way off

Changed IL/IN to IN/KY for the Monopoly board
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:13 am So on a day where a map of the United States appears often on TV, we get a question that can be more easily answered by looking at a map of the United States.
And it wasn't until morbeedo's remark that I'm over here going, "You're seeing some highly detailed electoral maps there..."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I knew the answer for the Monopoly question was two of Indiana/Illinois/Kentucky, but it's been so long since I've played (it's a bad game!) that I forgot which one was separated from the other two by the Chance space.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Same here. Picked the correct colour group, but went the wrong side of Chance. New mnemonic: the I's have it (Illinois/Indiana are together, Kentucky separate).
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

If you had paid close attention to the Learned League "Film Noir" 1DS from a few years ago, you might have come up with at least a guess of Veronica Lake/Lake Veronica for MD1/Q5.

On that note, "Neo-Noir" -- i.e., film-noir from the 1960s on -- is coming up in May*.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Shameless self-promotion.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

RandyG wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:11 pm If you had paid close attention to the Learned League "Film Noir" 1DS from a few years ago, you might have come up with at least a guess of Veronica Lake/Lake Veronica for MD1/Q5.
Not Ricki Lake, eh?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

RandyG wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:11 pm If you had paid close attention to the Learned League "Film Noir" 1DS from a few years ago, you might have come up with at least a guess of Veronica Lake/Lake Veronica for MD1/Q5.

On that note, "Neo-Noir" -- i.e., film-noir from the 1960s on -- is coming up in May*.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Shameless self-promotion.
I just started thinking of types of bodies of water to associate with the name of an actress, my 2nd thought was Lake, then remembered Veronica Lake.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

econgator wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:19 pm
Not Ricki Lake, eh?
considering the question had the year she was born...no
Total game show career losings = $171,522
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:17 am Lol - I put caviar for the Jell-O question! That was way off

Changed IL/IN to IN/KY for the Monopoly board
I had the same answer, played so much but couldn't remember which one was by itself....also had O'Harris for O'Higgins. I knew it was something like that from playing geoguessr and noticing O'Higgins in so many Chilean cities but couldn't pull it out.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I live in South Carolina now but I’d never heard of Lake Veronica. Luckily I knew her real name. And I’m of Irish descent so when I learned of Bernardo O’Highins at a young age I never forgot the name. Unfortunately I think I incorrectly used his name on a different Founding Fathers of South America a few weeks back. I started off 6/6 but it looks like at least 6 other people did since I’m back in 7th...

Oh and I still play Monopoly so that was a quick response!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

It has been a rough start to the season for me. I'm 1-2-0, with my one win being a forfeit win on MD 1. I also only have 7 TCA. I guess that it makes me feel better though that I was nowhere close to coming up with the correct answer to any question that I have missed so far.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

More deciphering of laundry symbols in today's J!6