OBIT: Alex Trebek

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: OBIT: Alex Trebek

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:07 pm I’m thinking that because this December 25 show will be different from other December 25 shows they might make an exception and try to get that one on somehow even if it’s not in its usual time slot.
Possibly, but around here, at least, the NBA is on ABC on Christmas Day, si we would almost certainly be pre-empted if the season goes a head as they plan to.
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

Broken hearted. That is all.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
jlgarfield
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jlgarfield »

I'm saddened. But, my ethos is that of being grateful of someone having been there, so I raise a toast to Alex on an amazing life.

Here's to you, the G.O.A.T. game show host. Say hi to all the other guys (Bill Cullen, Peter Tomarken, et al.) for me.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

harrumph wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:10 pm His passing is a rare occasion when millions of people who never literally met the man will feel genuine sorrow and reflect upon his class and courage.  

He performed at the highest level to the end, which is remarkable with the effects of his particular illness and its therapies.  His interactions with the contestants and his general performance were at the top of his game. 
harrumph, thank you for saying what is in my heart but better than I might have been able. Millions of us never had the good fortune, and now never will. We retain a million memories. And as much as the game itself dominates those memories, perhaps even more impressive is the ability to deal with such a diagnosis, knowing that it is likely a death sentence, and NOT give in to pity or withdrawal, but to continue to do your job at his level of excellence, living with joy and bringing more joy to his TV family.

I've been watching the show since the Art Fleming Days, and through all of the Alex years. I still harbor hopes of being a contestant some day. If God smiles on me and says yes, it will be bittersweet and not at all the same.

Condolences to the crew he worked with, to his family, and to Trebekistan.

:cry:
lstone19
Valued Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

econgator wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:11 pm Possibly, but around here, at least, the NBA is on ABC on Christmas Day, si we would almost certainly be pre-empted if the season goes a head as they plan to.
Almost certainly relegated to its alternate 2:05am (or something like that) slot here in Chicago.

Perhaps, given the circumstances, Jeopardy will delay it to 12/28 (even though I'm sure it has Christmas Day references in it) with perhaps a special Alex remembrance show for 12/25 (for those stations that would even air that day's show). Obviously, any future taping plans are on hold until they decide on a host so easy enough to drop a show from the taping schedule if appropriate.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Fleeboy wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:42 pm I suspect that most of us who had the privilege of spending time on a sound stage with Mr. Trebek have been asked, "what's he really like?" We didn't truly know, of course, as (outside of group photos or a tournament wrap party) all of our interactions with him took place on camera. Over the last 20 months, however, his millions of fans came to know and admire this remarkable man. Watching J! these next seven weeks will be a bittersweet experience.
This made me think: I may one of the few here to meet him outside of the lights and stage. In 1995, I was fortunate enough to receive an invitation to the College Tournament tryouts that year, my first invitation ever. So, I drove from Lakeland, FL to Memphis, TN to take the test. This was long before the online version, so the only test was the 50 answer in-person one. Of course, I had to visit Graceland that morning before the early afternoon tryout. It was held at the local affiliate TV station. There were probably about 40 or so of us there and we were all herded into one of the back rooms. My nerves must have gotten to me, because I had a few stupid misses on the test. I knew for certain that I had 32 correct, but there were several I wasn't sure about. Well, the coordinators took the tests to grade and we were all alone in the room, just kinda silent. After a minute or so, the usual murmuring starts as you talk to your neighbor. About a minute after that, the door at the back of the room opens and we hear a voice, "Hi! Mind if I join you?" The room went dead silent as everyone recognized the voice. Alex walks up to the front of the room, greeted us all, talked about what was happening and then opened the floor to questions. He said the only warning was that if anyone starts the question with "um" or "er" or the like, he'll stop that person and move on to the next. Sure enough, the first girl to ask starts off with, "Uh, what ...". Alex just held up a finger and said, "Sorry (not the patented, 'Ooh, sorry'), next." Needless to say, no one else made that mistake.

He talked to us for about 15 or 20 minutes, patiently answering all questions, both inane and impressive. When the coordinators came back in, they called out 11 names (mine was not one of them -- that was the only time I did not pass the in-person test). Alex stood at the back of the room as we filed out, offering words of encouragement and even signing autographs (although he did say he never understood why people would want his autograph). Selfies really weren't a thing in 1995 or I'm sure he would have posed for those, too.

So, while he was certainly still a representative of the show in this regard, I suspect we got to see a bit different version than those on the show saw. He didn't have to worry about S&P at this point and he he wasn't even wearing a suit (slacks and a nice button-down shirt).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I was on the way home from church when I saw the news on my phone. I knew it was coming, but he gave it his all. I've been watching since I was 4 and I will continue to watch.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The Alex Trebek we all knew for over 36 years was the best Alex Trebek. We never saw him angry, or depressed, or vengeful, or unfair, or incapacitated. We, millions of us, knew him, and probably spent more time with him over the years than we have spent with many close friends or family members. Someone of my age or older who has only watched the show half the time it has been on has easily spent 2,500 hours with him. And he was a friend who could easily be returned to, even after decades apart from him, with just a press of a remote control button. I don't think any other people in human history had the best part of themselves in so many other people's living rooms for so long. The Alex Trebek that I did know, I loved deeply. Farewell, Alex.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Part of me is sad he didn’t get a chance to retire on his terms, perhaps with one last special tournament, and say goodbye to his fans.

But he got to do what he loved right up until he died. Not many people can say that. He seemed to truly love hosting the show and I never got a sense he felt it was a job.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I am grateful, knowing how debilitating his illness could be, that he continued to do what he loved to do, and what we loved watching him do, right up until the end. It seems like so much work to talk that much episode after episode, and he kept going.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:01 pm And he was a friend who could easily be returned to, even after decades apart from him, with just a press of a remote control button. I don't think any other people in human history had the best part of themselves in so many other people's living rooms for so long. The Alex Trebek that I did know, I loved deeply. Farewell, Alex.
Gosh, you really nailed it for me with that one

Thank you
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

RIP Alex, and thanks for all the memories. :(
Charming
Valued Contributor

Post by Charming »

Back in the early days of the revamped Jeopardy they had the test locally at one of the downtown hotels, I was so excited to registered right away and like Econogator, I had a brain freeze on several clues. To this day I will hesitate when I have to name Mt. Vernon or Martin Sheen. :?

Before they came back with the test results a familiar person strolled into the room. Oh My, but he was working it in his leather jacket and tight jeans. This was before Jeopardy was as widely known as it was just a couple of years later, they were touring with Wheel which received much more publicity. A great memory, even though I did not make it to the practice test.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

RIP Alex Trebek
Alex was a very great host. Not counting the pilots, Super Jeopardy!, Jeopardy! The Greatest of All Time, Battle of the Bay Area Brains, and the episode Pat Sajak hosted on April Fool's Day 1997, the January 8, 2021 episode of Jeopardy!, Alex's last episode will mark his 8,245th episode (remember that there is a 65-episode discrepancy count and this does not include the April 1, 1997 episode, but this does include the 4,000th episode clip show).
EDIT: Alex actually hosted 8,245 shows, not 8,244. I forgot to include the 4,000th episode special. While that was just a clip show, I am counting that since it was part of the syndicated series, however, I am not counting Battle of the Bay Area Brains because that only aired in the San Francisco market. Also, I edited my post, since the air date of Alex's last episode changed from Christmas Day to tomorrow, January 8. Also, Alex's last show was actually taped on October 27, not October 29, as Jeopardy! stated on their website, according to this article:
https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/entert ... -a-warrior
"The show’s filming took place on Oct. 27, the last of five shows taped over the Monday and Tuesday of that week."
Last edited by gameshowfandanny on Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Requiescat in pace. No matter how expected, losses like this one are still deeply saddening when they occur.

“He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present than the living man.”
— Antoine de Saint-Exupery

In my life I was fortunate to shake hands with Roy Clark, Gen. Daniel "Chappie" James, Colin Powell, and Alex Trebec (thrice). I can only be thankful the memories will still be there when the people are not.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Heartbreaking news, even if it's been expected for some time. I just can't imagine the courage if took for Alex to keep working given the pain he must have been in and the no doubt competing demands of his family to spend time with him. A gentleman and a scholar, and a gift to so many of us for his 36 years on Jeopardy.

Rest in peace, Alex, and may his memory be a blessing for all who loved him.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

I'm 25 years old and have been watching this show all my life. This kind of feels like losing a family member that inspired a hobby or an interest of yours that brings you a lot of joy or defines who you are. Growing up with this show has made me a lifelong student, always looking to learn more, making me an avid reader, inspiring a love of trivia and other academic games, and much more. Alex deserves a lot of credit for that since his charming personality and steady hand has helped give this show a spectacular run of 37 seasons and counting. There's plenty of crew members who deserve props as well, but getting to see Alex in action definitely made this show appointment viewing for many.

Thank you for all that you've done, Alex. Surely in Trebekistan, the flags are flying at half-mast.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
jtb34
Valued Contributor

Post by jtb34 »

RIP, Alex. This hurts more than I thought it would considering I've been mentally preparing for this day for about a year and a half.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:01 pm The Alex Trebek we all knew for over 36 years was the best Alex Trebek. We never saw him angry, or depressed, or vengeful, or unfair, or incapacitated. We, millions of us, knew him, and probably spent more time with him over the years than we have spent with many close friends or family members. Someone of my age or older who has only watched the show half the time it has been on has easily spent 2,500 hours with him. And he was a friend who could easily be returned to, even after decades apart from him, with just a press of a remote control button. I don't think any other people in human history had the best part of themselves in so many other people's living rooms for so long. The Alex Trebek that I did know, I loved deeply. Farewell, Alex.
Very well put. This is a terrible loss for all of us. We were lucky to share him each night for so long.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Jeopardy will never be the same without him :( . R.I.P. Alex Trebek, what a great man and such a legend!