Wednesday, November 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, November 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORY OF MEDICINE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
2020 marks the 55th birthday of the first piece of equipment dedicated to this process, now used for regular screenings

Greg Marrero: 17600+2400=20000 (2x = $41,200)
Daniella Regencia: 4200-4198=2
Doug Grimshaw: 15100-5000=10100

Correct response:
Spoiler
mammogram (Daniella – colonoscopy) (Doug – CT scan)
NOTE: Read TJ!F about the FJ! correct response(s): https://thejeopardyfan.com/2020/11/fina ... -2020.html (scroll down to the more information section of the post)

Daily Doubles
Doug: 3800+1500
Greg: 9400+3000
Doug: 8900+3000

Coryats
Greg: 15800
Daniella: 4200
Doug: 12800

Combined: 32,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Greg: 5000
Daniella: 2200
Doug: 6100
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

When going on the show one of the easiest things to prep for is the capital cities in Canada. Manitoba's capital should not be an 0/3 on the show.

For the Rolling Stone photographer I heard a "w" sounding for the last syllable while I'm sure that's been negged previously and someone is welcome to track down that ruling for an easy assignment.

The archive agrees that HISTORY OF MEDICINE has not been a FJ! category before today.

My precalls were:
Jarvik
Pasteur
Fleming (Alexander, not Art)
Hippocrates
Galen

The FJ! clue had me worse off than yesterday with a coin toss of lesser degree of confidence. Deciding to reverse going with second instinct like yesterday I crossed off MRI to leave ultrasound. It was a pleasant surprise (as far as my not being as incorrect as I at first thought) to read the report at The Jeopardy! Fan to see how problematic the FJ! clue is for pinning.

The wanted and expected correct response was not on my radar and Greg getting it (his misspelling with one "M" in the middle did not matter for J! purposes) left a clear winner.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

1 more for ultrasound.
TriviaBug
Valued Contributor

Post by TriviaBug »

Playing the FJ from the post on this thread, I had ECG. Was going off the year of the first heart transplant and was equating "regular" to annual health check-ups. Ack. Tepid clue.
My website and app - http://triviabug.com
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

It took me well over 30 seconds to talk myself out of my first instinct, so I'm counting this as a get. But their choice of "birthday" over "anniversary" had me (eventually) looking for something pregnancy-related.

Annie Leibovitz and Fran Lebowitz are distressingly similar names, but "LEE-bo-vits" is a safe pronunciation for either. I do remember "Annie Lebowitz" getting dinged in the past, and felt it was too harsh.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The game is done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6864

No way I was transcribing those video clues and I took the shortcut with useless mp4 links.

A ton of LT up for grabs, but shy of the 17600 needed to win from the 4th podium.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:D :D :D on DDs. Wasn't sure about Lent but had nothing else.
I don't think we'll ever see Set the Table as a category again. :lol:
Agree with Mark, Winnipeg as TS is inexcusable. :x
Guessed MRI for FJ. Knew it was too general but couldn't come up with mammogram. :(
Playing from the archive, so I didn't get to hear it, but looks like Greg just had the accent on the wrong syllable for Caucasus & shouldn't have been negged. :? [edit] answered by econgator.
Last edited by DBear on Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:30 pm The game is done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6864

No way I was transcribing those video clues and I took the shortcut with useless mp4 links.

A ton of LT up for grabs, but shy of the 17600 needed to win from the 4th podium.
Does it count as LT if you pronounce the mountains correctly?

Recognizing a 55th anniversary is a bit odd, especially a month after breast cancer month, but whatever.

I got this pretty quickly and was surprised only one person got it. As he went to the female contestant I was worried he would have one last “Oh, Alex” moment but he got through it.

Harper’s Ferry was on the bottom row?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

My instincts told me that an error happened on the Rolling Stone photographer's name in the past 10 years. I quickly found two and did not bother looking for more.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3461
PHOTOGRAPHERS $1600 – Ha! Look who got busted.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3778
THE ANNIE HALL OF FAME $1200 – Ha! Look who got busted.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DBear wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:45 pm Playing from the archive, so I didn't get to hear it, but looks like Greg just had the accent on the wrong syllable for Caucasus & shouldn't have been negged. :?
No, he added a syllable -- Cacaucases.

Didn't have the slightest clue what they were looking for in FJ and I said a pap smear.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Intermediate Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Had mammography for FJ, but man. The first colonoscopy device was invented in 1969 - if not for plain old guessing, parsing those out would require savant-level knowledge of medical device history.

Poll request (2): "colonoscopy" or "ultrasound" for today's FJ.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:A ton of LT up for grabs, but shy of the 17600 needed to win from the 4th podium.

Actually, the 4th podium would only need 10001 after DJ to win with a correct FJ response.

Doug didn't even bet the max he could have (6699) to keep Daniella locked out, but he still would have shot down Greg on a R-W-R.
Greg settling for a nice tidey $20,000 tells me he isn't one for wagering theory.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I went with colonoscopy, too for FJ - in retrospect, it's not a bad guess. It was devised in Japan around 1960, which is close to the 1965 target date, and it definitely better have "dedicated equipment". PSA: Check your guidelines and get a colonoscopy when indicated; they're not that bad, and that even includes the prep.

I do have a slight issue with the wording of the clue - in particular, the word "regular screenings". I view a regular screening as a screening that would be recommended to nearly all the population, if they survive long enough, that would take place multiple times. For 50% of the population, regular screening mammography does take place after a certain age - for the other 50%, it's rarely recommended unless there's a gene mutation in the family. It's not enough to invalidate the clue IMO - I got it wrong, my oopsie. If they'd stuck "half of the population" in the clue, it might have helped - but might have made it too obvious.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Interesting wagers. I think. We'll see if I get corrected this time. Here are the numbers to make it easy to check my work:

Greg Marrero: 17600+2400=20000
Daniella Regencia: 4200-4198=2
Doug Grimshaw: 15100-5000=10100

Greg chose not to make the shutout be of $12,601. If he had, that would've dropped him down to $4999. So Doug might have felt safe with his bet which would have kept him far ahead of the score Greg would drop down to on a shutout bet and a miss. Doug's bet also keeps him ahead of Daniella's doubled score of $8400. He could've bet an extra $1699 as far as that's concerned.

But Greg didn't make the shutout bet. He bet for the round number of $20,000 on a get and, more importantly to him perhaps, to stay ahead of Doug's pre-FJ score by $100 on a miss. He could have safely bet an extra $99 and stayed ahead of Doug's pre-FJ score, forcing Doug to get FJ right. If Greg had bet that extra $99, he'd have gone up to $20,099, exactly $1 less than the score that Doug would have had if he'd got it right. Was that deliberate on Doug's part? Did he predict that Greg would bet to leave himself a buck ahead of Doug's pre-FJ score on a miss, thus forcing Doug to get FJ right? Did he then craft his wager to land him a buck ahead of Greg if they both got it right? And was there anything in Greg's wager yesterday that made this predictable? That's some impressive second or third order thinking if Doug noodled through all that to arrive at his wager. Or, more likely, it's the delusions of a flightless boardie who once again screwed up the math so badly that even he won't know what he was thinking when he looks at this post tomorrow.

As I check my work, I think Doug would have been better off wagering $4999 if he really thought through the possibilities. Yes, that means risking a tie on the double-get if Greg bets the full $2499. But it's in order to gain a tie on the double-miss rather than an outright loss by $1. Since Greg held back $99 rather than just a buck, either Doug's wager or my suggested tweak would have lost him the game on a double-miss and won him the game on a double-get.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:57 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:A ton of LT up for grabs, but shy of the 17600 needed to win from the 4th podium.

Actually, the 4th podium would only need 10001 after DJ to win with a correct FJ response.
That's only if you assume that Greg would have made the same bet even with a 4th podium at $10,001 in the game. You can argue for that, but that's not one of the standard 4th podium assumptions. For this to be a regular 4th podium win, you'd need enough trash to beat Greg regardless of his FJ bet. So $17,601 if you got FJ right and $35,201 if you missed it.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I heard "Caucacus" with three syllables, substituting a "k" for an "s".

Was hoping that John Williams would not show up on the list, thinking that it would be very hard to come up with any clue at all that would not be a gimme. I don't know how many clues poll at 100%, but that could be one that does. I have to think that it was overvalued at $200.

Was a dozen years off in FJ with MRI. Usually used as a one-time diagnostic, but is also used for routine periodic followup screenings for several degenerative processes. But came into use in 1977.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
davey

Post by davey »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:34 pm I heard "Caucacus" with three syllables, substituting a "k" for an "s".
Yes, that's what he said, accent on syllable 2.
I went with kidney dialysis, knowing full well that's not a screening (I couldn't decide among all the real screenings, I guess)...Much older, too... :roll:
Last edited by davey on Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.