Wednesday, November 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Wednesday, November 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:12 amThe four small Eastern provinces I easily get geographically mixed up, but I know the capitals.
Sure, it's good to know the capital of Newfoundland and Labrador. But what's the largest city of New Brunswick?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Newhausen wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:46 am Thought of both 'mammogram' and 'colonoscopy' pretty quickly, settled on the wrong one because something about using the word "process" for mammogram just didn't scan for me.
I agree. I think the technically correct response was "mammography," not "mammogram." I don't really think "mammogram" is the process.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:42 am
Robert K S wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:30 pm Got correct response. Also knew with 99% certainty it was unpinned and a terrible clue.
This +1

I agree with whoever said they should have included "half the population"
But then you'd get "Well, actually... https://pubs.rsna.org/doi/full/10.1148/ ... 2019190971 " remarks
Breast Cancer Screening in High-Risk Men: A 12-year Longitudinal Observational Study of Male Breast Imaging Utilization and Outcomes
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by heppm01 »

Ugh, hated that FJ! clue. X-ray seemed too early and generic which left me with mammogram, CT scan and MRI. Eliminated MRI as too modern. I think my brain transformed "now used for regular screenings" into "now regularly used for screenings" and that tipped the scales to CT scan.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:30 pmNo way I was transcribing those video clues and I took the shortcut with useless mp4 links.
It wasn't so bad--there were only three clues and they were captioned--BUT!--but!--the Tubman clue was not captioned correctly and I cannot make out exactly what she was saying. The CC transcriber went with "I will come with all I can hide". I rendered it as "I will come with all the bees I can hive".

Also, I listened to clue 5 of the DJ! Round multiple times and Alex clearly does say the leading article in giving the correct response A Raisin in the Sun.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:04 am
Robert K S wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:30 pm Got correct response. Also knew with 99% certainty it was unpinned and a terrible clue. (Medical diagnostic modalities was basically my undergrad degree.)
Well good for you for getting it right, then. You had a much larger pool of plausible responses to choose from.
Yeah, it was basically, "Let's reverse-engineer what the writers were probably going for"
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Woof wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:48 am You might want to rethink that bolded part. Since Ontario is the Southernmost extension of CA and proximate to Lake Erie, the weather in Ottawa isn’t much different from Cleveland, Detroit or Chicago (or Toronto).
There is no comparison between Ottawa and Cleveland in January. I have been to one and live in the other. Brr.

My principal memory of Ottawa is having a thick scarf wrapped around my whole face but my breath freezing the scarf such that I could not unwrap it from around my head without letting it thaw.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:54 am
Woof wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:48 am You might want to rethink that bolded part. Since Ontario is the Southernmost extension of CA and proximate to Lake Erie, the weather in Ottawa isn’t much different from Cleveland, Detroit or Chicago (or Toronto).
There is no comparison between Ottawa and Cleveland in January. I have been to one and live in the other. Brr.

My principal memory of Ottawa is having a thick scarf wrapped around my whole face but my breath freezing the scarf such that I could not unwrap it from around my head without letting it thaw.
Here's a nice factoid I heard about Canadian weather: Victoria, BC is the only Canadian city that has recorded a calendar year without the temperature dropping below freezing. I suspect this is only accurate based on how you define a "city," but it's an interesting fact nonetheless. Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia about the weather in Victoria:
At the Victoria Gonzales weather station, daily temperatures rise above 30 °C (86 °F) on average less than one day per year and fall below 0 °C (32 °F) on average only ten nights per year. Victoria has recorded completely freeze-free winter seasons four times (in 1925/26, 1939/40, 1999/2000, and 2002/03). 1999 is the only calendar year on record without a single occurrence of frost. During this time the city went 718 days without freezing, starting on 23 December 1998 and ending 10 December 2000. The second longest frost-free period was a 686-day stretch covering 1925 and 1926, marking the first and last time the city has gone the entire season without dropping below 1 °C (34 °F).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Volante wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:33 am
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:42 am
Robert K S wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:30 pm Got correct response. Also knew with 99% certainty it was unpinned and a terrible clue.
This +1

I agree with whoever said they should have included "half the population"
But then you'd get "Well, actually... https://pubs.rsna.org/doi/full/10.1148/ ... 2019190971 " remarks
Breast Cancer Screening in High-Risk Men: A 12-year Longitudinal Observational Study of Male Breast Imaging Utilization and Outcomes
Years ago, there was a 5K race near where I lived that was for breast cancer survivors. A man who was a breast cancer survivor tried to enter and wasn’t allowed to because it was for women only.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Random request, but could someone grab a video of the $400 clue in JOHN BROWN for me? Zainab is a dear friend of mine and she’d love to see it :)
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Vermonter wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:48 pm Random request, but could someone grab a video of the $400 clue in JOHN BROWN for me? Zainab is a dear friend of mine and she’d love to see it :)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rquk41 ... sp=sharing
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:00 pm
Vermonter wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:48 pm Random request, but could someone grab a video of the $400 clue in JOHN BROWN for me? Zainab is a dear friend of mine and she’d love to see it :)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rquk41 ... sp=sharing
Thanks so much, Mark!!
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

DBear wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:45 pm Agree with Mark, Winnipeg as TS is inexcusable.
Canadian geography ought to be on prospective contestant's review lists as much as Shakespeare or U.S. presidents.

Actually, it should be on every American's study list in school, the way it was back when we all walked uphill to school in the snow.

"Back in the day," (mid/late 80s) I spent a couple of consecutive summers on the DEW Line. Winnipeg was the staging point; we'd overnight there on the way to and from Cambridge Bay on Victoria Island. The contract hotel was about three blocks from Canad Inns Stadium, so I would usually stroll over and get a walkup ticket for a Blue Bombers CFL game. Canadian rules football is a fun game to watch in person.

Later I was stationed in North Dakota. Even never having been the state before, having been in Winnipeg a few times meant that seeing Bismarck for the first time brought a little sense of deja vu.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:50 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:30 pmNo way I was transcribing those video clues and I took the shortcut with useless mp4 links.
It wasn't so bad--there were only three clues and they were captioned--BUT!--but!--the Tubman clue was not captioned correctly and I cannot make out exactly what she was saying. The CC transcriber went with "I will come with all I can hide". I rendered it as "I will come with all the bees I can hive".

Also, I listened to clue 5 of the DJ! Round multiple times and Alex clearly does say the leading article in giving the correct response A Raisin in the Sun.
You're correct, that's what she's saying. Showtime has the correct captioning, and the next episode of the series is called "Hiving the Bees." (Ethan Hawke is giving a fantastic performance in the series.)
I also agree about the article.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:50 am

Thanks and thanks.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Volante wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:33 am
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:42 am I agree with whoever said they should have included "half the population"
I do not wish to disregard the cases of breast cancer in men at all, but that article talks about "selective screening" for those men at higher risk of the disease. The clue mentioned "regular screening" which should point to women only.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

One of the stupidest FJ clues ever.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Instagot mammogram and shocked at the Winnipeg TS. Although in my area code TD, when asked to name a city in Manitoba, many chose to drop it, and others admitted Winnipeg was the only city they knew in Manitoba.
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:51 am
Sure, it's good to know the capital of Newfoundland and Labrador. But what's the largest city of New Brunswick?
Saint John, whose name is never abbreviated to prevent confusion with St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador. That convention was agreed to even before Newfoundland was part of Canada.

And did you know Nebraska surrendered its postal abbreviation NB when Canada adopted a 2 character abbreviation also. It obviously made the most sense for NB to refer to New Brunswick, so Nebraska changed to NE.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Grosse Point Blank though I have heard of it.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Finger Bowl, Tumbler, Pip, Drop, Fault, Weathering, A Raisin in the Sun, Winnipeg, *Caucasus*, Arctic, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Wormwood, Dog Star
Douglas Squasoni