Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by alietr »

The best I could do for Threepenny Opera was Polly Wolly Doodle All the Day.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I went the wrong way between choral and pastoral, and it cost me a beer. Luckily I played perfect defense and still got the win.
classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by classicroadster »

I remembered pastoral from a recent season (Season 81, as I later learned) to give me a classical music question. Didn't matter in my regular rundle as my opponent forfeited. I did get a 0 on a lit question in the JBoardlite rundle, that won't happen very often...I ended up with 4 right, missing the Threepenny and frozen banana. I've seen a few episodes of Arrested Development and knew it was a banana related thing. Like Bamaman, I went with banana split as the only banana related thing I could think of. Are frozen bananas a thing? West coast thing maybe? Another one, like egg cream, I've never heard of.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

SBurrus wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:29 am I could not for the life of me remember what the frozen treat was in "Arrested Development"...although I did remember it had something to do with bananas. I answered Banana Splits. I tell ya...my memory is fading fast as I get older. Was a huge fan of the show, too.
There's always money in the Banana Splits.
(I guess why they made that horror movie spinoff/reboot/fanfic?)

The joys of A Rundle... you have to assign the 3 -somewhere-. Spent more time trying to decide between pastoral or threepenny than I did the answers themselves. Ended up being academic, we each had beer as part of the 11% of LL that did.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

My TV percentage helped me steal a tie 9(5)-9(6) as I did not get the zero for the banana.

I've only seen one ep. of the show and was not going to recall this clue:
#6420, aired 2012-07-13 TV BUSINESSES $600: Bluth's Original Frozen Banana
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

There were a lot of 9(6) scores in my private rundle, 13 out of 24 players. Eight got 5 right, two got 4, and one got 1. Half the 5-righters were paired against a 9(6), two others beat the two 4s, and the other two tied each other. I was one of the five lucky 9(6) players who didn't end up in a tie (though I wasn't so lucky as to be up against the player who got 1 right).
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

My answer to the 'Did you watch Arrested Development?' question was no.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:19 am My first, second, and third thoughts were garden party, but it just seemed too banal for a book title and I switched to even more boring "dinner".
Minor quibble (aka "Someone was wrong on the internet!"): "The Garden Party" is a short story, not a book.
It also happens to be the first story included in a 50 Great American Short Stories collection by Milton Crane, which I acquired for a 10th grade English class. That and its author are about all I remember about the story, but they were enough.
In and out of the pool four times
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

bomtr wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:02 pm My answer to the 'Did you watch Arrested Development?' question was no.
Lol. Same. And yet frozen banana occurred to me, and then I swatted it away, settling on sno-cone as better than blank

I couldn’t come up with the 1980s auto flop, even when spotted ends in O (or at least that was my assumption)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

classicroadster wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:49 am Are frozen bananas a thing? West coast thing maybe? Another one, like egg cream, I've never heard of.
Definitely not something I've ever eaten or even seen as far as I can remember. That was one of those somewhat rare questions that has a pretty consistent get rate across levels:

Level %
A 82
B 80
C 75
D 73
E 67
R 67
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:58 pm
classicroadster wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:49 am Are frozen bananas a thing? West coast thing maybe? Another one, like egg cream, I've never heard of.
Definitely not something I've ever eaten or even seen as far as I can remember. That was one of those somewhat rare questions that has a pretty consistent get rate across levels:

Level %
A 82
B 80
C 75
D 73
E 67
R 67
We're on the East coast, and we freeze bananas for our 3yo to snack on. It's a good way to use them as they get a little overripe (and start to attract fruit flies).
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:45 pm
bomtr wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:02 pm My answer to the 'Did you watch Arrested Development?' question was no.
Lol. Same. And yet frozen banana occurred to me, and then I swatted it away, settling on sno-cone as better than blank

I couldn’t come up with the 1980s auto flop, even when spotted ends in O (or at least that was my assumption)
I had dippin dots and Fiero
Total game show career losings = $171,522
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

i just said "chocolate-covered bananas" and that was accepted.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I misinterpreted the bowling question as saying that the bowler knocked down 1 pin in each of frames 4-7, instead of on their next 4 rolls (in frames 4 and 5), and submitted 65 as my answer. My opponent gave me a 3, and it was the difference between a win and a loss :oops:
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

StevenH wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:22 am I misinterpreted the bowling question as saying that the bowler knocked down 1 pin in each of frames 4-7, instead of on their next 4 rolls (in frames 4 and 5), and submitted 65 as my answer. My opponent gave me a 3, and it was the difference between a win and a loss :oops:
I almost did that as well, then caught myself when he asked for the score after frame 5. I’m still not sure why he didn’t stop the exercise after 4 frames. Did he really think that someone who knew how to score strikes was going to have trouble adding two more in frame 5?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:08 am
StevenH wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:22 am I misinterpreted the bowling question as saying that the bowler knocked down 1 pin in each of frames 4-7, instead of on their next 4 rolls (in frames 4 and 5), and submitted 65 as my answer. My opponent gave me a 3, and it was the difference between a win and a loss :oops:
I almost did that as well, then caught myself when he asked for the score after frame 5. I’m still not sure why he didn’t stop the exercise after 4 frames. Did he really think that someone who knew how to score strikes was going to have trouble adding two more in frame 5?
I think it was to maybe throw a little doubt in to it? Was it the next 2 balls or next 2 frames? Hmmm...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:31 am
I think it was to maybe throw a little doubt in to it? Was it the next 2 balls or next 2 frames? Hmmm...
34 the most common wrong answer? :lol: My opponent's worst subjects are Games/Sports & Math, so I gave him the 3 there and he gave me 2. Defense did not matter as we tied 9(6)-9(6).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm thinking it's because he wanted to make sure people understood the scoring is that for a strike you get ten plus the next two rolls and not the next two frames.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I haven’t bowled in like 30 years, so yeah, no
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

On the play, the first thought that came into my mind was 'Waiting for Godot'. But then I saw 'English-language debut' and thought that wouldn't have been a distinction for a Beckett play, so I wracked my brain to come up with another answer that would've been written in another language. Cost me a 9(6), but not the match, thankfully.

What a stupid I am.