Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by Volante »

I'm more proud of somehow digging up Starship than I am bowling. I knew I'd get the latter right, but I have literally no idea how I knew Starship...
Two beers in a row! Haven't done that in ages
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'll admit to being surprised that bowling had the lowest get rate for the day.
mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mahatma »

alietr wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:13 pm I'll admit to being surprised that bowling had the lowest get rate for the day.
If we get hit with a similar question re cricket, or rugby (or...), I'm in big trouble.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:14 am I haven’t bowled in like 30 years, so yeah, no
I was kind of hoping for that....and I figured, despite your crap math score, that you would know that algebra was derived from arabic. Thanks to that I actually beat morbeedo, 6(5)- 4(4)!

Defensive loss for me in my C Rundle 7(5)-8(5). I missed Godot (of course I did), opponent missed eSwatini. She has a decent current events and geography but still missed it.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

classicroadster wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:52 pm
morbeedo wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:14 am I haven’t bowled in like 30 years, so yeah, no
I was kind of hoping for that....and I figured, despite your crap math score, that you would know that algebra was derived from arabic. Thanks to that I actually beat morbeedo, 6(5)- 4(4)!
I’m actually surprised I have such a low math score! I always excelled in math but only went as far as college level calculus.

I googled bowling scoring this morning, so now I understand why 64 is wrong
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:13 pm I'll admit to being surprised that bowling had the lowest get rate for the day.
I'm not. I'd bet the vast majority of Llamas have never needed to manually score a bowling game.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:25 pm
I'm not. I'd bet the vast majority of Llamas have never needed to manually score a bowling game.
Not a story I would have ever told on J! - As a kid I had a set of those colored plastic bowling pins and a masking tape measured triangle layout on the garage floor. I would bowl and keep score manually. Fine, that's typical. What was more unusual was that I set up brackets using my stuffed animal names and did a whole tourney.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:48 pm
Not a story I would have ever told on J! - As a kid I had a set of those colored plastic bowling pins and a masking tape measured triangle layout on the garage floor. I would bowl and keep score manually. Fine, that's typical. What was more unusual was that I set up brackets using my stuffed animal names and did a whole tourney.
Consider your audience here, Mark. I'm sure most of us did similar kinds of things and won't find this the least bit unusual!
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

As luck would have it, there was a bowling score question in last week's bar trivia. The question was, "If a bowler gets 9 on the first roll and converts the spare on his second in every frame, what score would he end up with?" The answer is 189. I had to talk my teammates out of 190; a spare is 10 plus the number of pins on the next roll. You get nothing for converting the spare in the 10th frame.

I'm so old that I not only scored manually going back to my middle school bowling league, but I remember seeing TV ads for AMF automatic pinsetters which also told you what pins were still standing--like the dreaded 8 hiding behind the 2-pin.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

mahatma wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:29 am On the play, the first thought that came into my mind was 'Waiting for Godot'. But then I saw 'English-language debut' and thought that wouldn't have been a distinction for a Beckett play, so I wracked my brain to come up with another answer that would've been written in another language.
Maybe you know this by now, but Beckett wrote his works in French.

I also guessed banana split the other day. NHO frozen banana AFAICR.

I was writing Swaziland but changed to eSwatini because, who knows, they may have changed the name again.

Not surprised bowling was the least got. My opponent's weakest subjects were sport/games and math, but I figured algebra was more of a language question.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:23 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:48 pm
Consider your audience here, Mark. I'm sure most of us did similar kinds of things and won't find this the least bit unusual!
Right, fine to share here. 8 million people? I would have gone Ken and made up stuff if necessary before providing that anecdote on air.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

This is my 41st bowling season so I had no trouble with the bowling question.

It was a good day for me; finally got more than 3 right and earned my first win since MD1.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Blue Lion wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:57 pm a spare is 10 plus the number of pins on the next roll. You get nothing for converting the spare in the 10th frame.
But you do get a third ball in the tenth frame for converting the spare, right? Check out the scenario shown in this example. The bowler gets a third ball in the tenth frame due to converting the spare: https://www.bowl.com/Welcome/Welcome_Ho ... ing_Score/ Seems like the correct answer is 190 (assuming the bowler continues to knock down nine pins), but I'll admit I've only bowled a handful of times in my life, so I'll defer to the experts!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Lefty wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:10 pm Not surprised bowling was the least got. My opponent's weakest subjects were sport/games and math, but I figured algebra was more of a language question.
Same, but it still went almost 4 for 10 and eSwatini barely beat it, so it did play easier than I expected (25%, maybe even 20%, felt more probable). (Unlike Monday's, there was no question which clue was getting the 3 on Tuesday). 19/60 clues have lower get rates, so a slightly different shuffle could have made it the 5th or even 4th hardest.

Incidentally, eSwatini did play harder than 67 in Taiga overall, 43% to 45%
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:40 pm
Blue Lion wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:57 pm a spare is 10 plus the number of pins on the next roll. You get nothing for converting the spare in the 10th frame.
But you do get a third ball in the tenth frame for converting the spare, right? Check out the scenario shown in this example. The bowler gets a third ball in the tenth frame due to converting the spare: https://www.bowl.com/Welcome/Welcome_Ho ... ing_Score/ Seems like the correct answer is 190 (assuming the bowler continues to knock down nine pins), but I'll admit I've only bowled a handful of times in my life, so I'll defer to the experts!
Yeah 190 absolutely should be correct, you've gotten mixed up somewhere in here. The questionable part would be if the question stipulated what happens on the extra ball after the 10th frame. Logic assumes the player will continue to hit 9 on every (first) ball but depends on the phrasing of the question. Assuming it's still a 9 then you get 190. The extra pin left standing doesn't matter. If for some reason the player never throws that ball then it's 181. There is no way to arrive at 189 given this setup.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:02 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:40 pm
Yeah 190 absolutely should be correct, you've gotten mixed up somewhere in here. The questionable part would be if the question stipulated what happens on the extra ball after the 10th frame. Logic assumes the player will continue to hit 9 on every (first) ball but depends on the phrasing of the question. Assuming it's still a 9 then you get 190. The extra pin left standing doesn't matter. If for some reason the player never throws that ball then it's 181. There is no way to arrive at 189 given this setup.
Absolutely 190. The scores for each frame are: 19, 38, 57, 76, 95, 114, 133, 152, 171, 190.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Update on the second quintmester results for the JBL:

Bamaman has won 5 straight to maintain the lead with 16 points :mrgreen:
ClassicRoadster has alternated with morbeedo for second and is hanging tough with 14 points.
There's a bit of a gap with four players at 11 points, but morbeedo has a commanding tie breaker lead with 46 TMP with the help of 18 points from a lite beer and a real beer.

Kerryoakie snagged the only singleton this round with "white fragility". Well done - thanks for preventing the skunk on such an important issue :)

One JBL sweep with "Keebler". Yeah, we knows our cookies.

No goathorns (9/10 right for the group) but two close calls with 8 right on Nat Turner and Yoko Ono.

No skunks.

I'm finding that a .514 defense may not be the way to go with this goofy game :roll: . But the questions have been out of my wheelhouse - where's the Science and ..... well, more Science?? I did balance the scales by getting a theater question (Waiting for Godot) to offset morbeedo getting the cricket question :lol:.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:59 am
Woof wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:08 am
StevenH wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:22 am I misinterpreted the bowling question as saying that the bowler knocked down 1 pin in each of frames 4-7, instead of on their next 4 rolls (in frames 4 and 5), and submitted 65 as my answer. My opponent gave me a 3, and it was the difference between a win and a loss :oops:
I almost did that as well, then caught myself when he asked for the score after frame 5. I’m still not sure why he didn’t stop the exercise after 4 frames. Did he really think that someone who knew how to score strikes was going to have trouble adding two more in frame 5?
I'm thinking it's because he wanted to make sure people understood the scoring is that for a strike you get ten plus the next two rolls and not the next two frames.
I think it was also to clarify that a frame is two rolls. I've only ever done five-pin bowling and you get three rolls per frame. I would have assumed it was the same in ten-pin if he hadn't clarified that.

Still got it wrong because I had no idea how the scoring works.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:12 pm Update on the second quintmester results for the JBL:

Bamaman has won 5 straight to maintain the lead with 16 points :mrgreen:
ClassicRoadster has alternated with morbeedo for second and is hanging tough with 14 points.
There's a bit of a gap with four players at 11 points, but morbeedo has a commanding tie breaker lead with 46 TMP with the help of 18 points from a lite beer and a real beer.

Kerryoakie snagged the only singleton this round with "white fragility". Well done - thanks for preventing the skunk on such an important issue :)

One JBL sweep with "Keebler". Yeah, we knows our cookies.

No goathorns (9/10 right for the group) but two close calls with 8 right on Nat Turner and Yoko Ono.

No skunks.

I'm finding that a .514 defense may not be the way to go with this goofy game :roll: . But the questions have been out of my wheelhouse - where's the Science and ..... well, more Science?? I did balance the scales by getting a theater question (Waiting for Godot) to offset morbeedo getting the cricket question :lol:.
At least I'm doing SOMETHING right this season. I'm dying by defense in my regular matches...
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Yesterday was the polar opposite from MD10 (5 rights, all instagets). 1 right, and a lost Koin flip on caballero/gaucho which hurt as it turned a tie into a 1(1) - 2(3) loss. NHO of Anna Freud, the play, or the Prince/Chappelle thing, which is funny in hindsight in that Prince stole the photo of Chappelle making fun of him on his show and it wasn't like Chappelle actually posed for the album art. I also picked the wrong TMNT for the art one.