Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by mennoknight »

The bowling one took me a lot longer than it should've. I worked at *THREE* different bowling alleys as a teenager, but only one had 10 pin; and made it to the Canadian Youth Bowling team National Championships twice. The score for those rolls in 5 pin could've been so many things, since each pin is worth a different amount. Felt very stupid once I realized it was 10-pin.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

16% of people think the Hoover Dam is a body of water?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I had no idea on the comedian question, but I went with Dave Chappelle as a guess that seem as reasonable as any. It was the difference between a win and a loss!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I was shocked that Charlie Murphy wasn't the MCWA for Q5 yesterday. He was the person who actually told the Prince story on Chappelle's Show. I figured the odds were that the correct answer was Chappelle, but I wouldn't have been at all surprised to see Murphy as the correct answer.

I also got a kick out of 16% thinking the Hoover Dam is a body of water, too. :D
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

econgator wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:46 am 16% of people think the Hoover Dam is a body of water?
Correction: 16% of LLamas. I'm afraid to extrapolate from that to gen pop.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

11% on Newlywed Game? Probably the most surprised I've been in 14 seasons about a low get-rate. I suppose probably a lot of people snap answered TPIR and didn't go any further but Newlywed was the first thing I thought of, other than the dating game and those prizes felt not appropriate for that.

I've lost the ability to defend this season, so I lost 4(4)-6(3) to make my record when getting same # of questions or one more than my opponent 1-3-2 this season. Man, that is frustrating. Tiger and mimosa were layups, got Arpanet from watching The Americans where it dominated a whole season I feel like. Still in middle of the pack in my large C rundle.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I had to read the game show question a few times before homing in on Newlywed Game as the show that would award prizes to a couple

No credit for ARPNET- the omission of A cost me the match. Argh.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

classicroadster wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:09 am 11% on Newlywed Game? Probably the most surprised I've been in 14 seasons about a low get-rate. I suppose probably a lot of people snap answered TPIR and didn't go any further but Newlywed was the first thing I thought of, other than the dating game and those prizes felt not appropriate for that.

I've lost the ability to defend this season, so I lost 4(4)-6(3) to make my record when getting same # of questions or one more than my opponent 1-3-2 this season. Man, that is frustrating. Tiger and mimosa were layups, got Arpanet from watching The Americans where it dominated a whole season I feel like. Still in middle of the pack in my large C rundle.
I thought that was a terrible question as those prizes could actually be awarded on any game show. I know the phrasing "especially for you" from Bob Eubanks was what TI was going for when he put "prizes chosen just for the winners" narrowed the answer, but still, the prizes could be on any show.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

It looks like I was far from alone in failing to RTFQ for ARPANET. I was literally talking to myself about how DARPA created ARPANET, and worrying about spelling DARPA right. I always want to add a silent 'k'.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:55 am
classicroadster wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:09 am 11% on Newlywed Game? Probably the most surprised I've been in 14 seasons about a low get-rate. I suppose probably a lot of people snap answered TPIR and didn't go any further but Newlywed was the first thing I thought of, other than the dating game and those prizes felt not appropriate for that.

I thought that was a terrible question as those prizes could actually be awarded on any game show. I know the phrasing "especially for you" from Bob Eubanks was what TI was going for when he put "prizes chosen just for the winners" narrowed the answer, but still, the prizes could be on any show.
so to paraphrase..."I know why the specific words were chosen for the question, and why they pointed to the correct answer rather than any other game show, but I will declare it a terrible question anyway."
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:04 am

so to paraphrase..."I know why the specific words were chosen for the question, and why they pointed to the correct answer rather than any other game show, but I will declare it a terrible question anyway."

so what game show prize coordinators chose high-value prizes specifically for the non-winners?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

After going 8 match days in a row without a win (4 losses and 4 ties), I am now on a three-game win streak in Taiga E1 and have climbed from 26th place to 14th. Still below my career answer percentage for this season; it has been a rough go for me in LL this season.

Still in last place in my private rundle.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:40 pm
Blue Lion wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:57 pm a spare is 10 plus the number of pins on the next roll. You get nothing for converting the spare in the 10th frame.
But you do get a third ball in the tenth frame for converting the spare, right? Check out the scenario shown in this example. The bowler gets a third ball in the tenth frame due to converting the spare: https://www.bowl.com/Welcome/Welcome_Ho ... ing_Score/ Seems like the correct answer is 190 (assuming the bowler continues to knock down nine pins), but I'll admit I've only bowled a handful of times in my life, so I'll defer to the experts!
You're right! Does Jboard have a corner I can stand in? And a dunce cap?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:12 am
jeff6286 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:04 am

so what game show prize coordinators chose high-value prizes specifically for the non-winners?
I'm not entirely sure I understand your question. I suspect you might be inferring a different meaning of the word "just" than what I assumed the intent was.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:45 am I had to read the game show question a few times before homing in on Newlywed Game as the show that would award prizes to a couple

No credit for ARPNET- the omission of A cost me the match. Argh.
At least you earned the W against me in the private rundle as I finally played proper defense with my 3(3) - 4(4) loss:). Good job, have a virtual mimosa on my virtual tab :lol: . I got credit for Darpanet, which was slightly controversial for a minute, but is the right call. I actually used it for thermodynamic calculations through McGill University in the early 80's, and I only knew it as Darpanet, but I wasn't the one doing the hacking. We connected with a TWX - Who remembers those?? 45 baud bandwidth, baby!!! I think it cost 2 or 3 bucks a minute back then.

Five of six boardies in the JBL rundle got the game show right, which had an 11% overall get rate. SMH. Seeing this thread gives me a little insight how. I went with Let's make a Deal as the prizes seemed pretty decent and a show would only give one prize vs. the multiple players in TPIR.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:30 pm Five of six boardies in the JBL rundle got the game show right, which had an 11% overall get rate. SMH. Seeing this thread gives me a little insight how. I went with Let's make a Deal as the prizes seemed pretty decent and a show would only give one prize vs. the multiple players in TPIR.
TPIR here; the prizes felt like a perfect showcase showdown description.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:49 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:30 pm Five of six boardies in the JBL rundle got the game show right, which had an 11% overall get rate. SMH. Seeing this thread gives me a little insight how. I went with Let's make a Deal as the prizes seemed pretty decent and a show would only give one prize vs. the multiple players in TPIR.
The Showcase Showdown is where they spin the wheel. You speak of the Showcase.

I considered The Price Is Right and Let's Make a Deal, but both shows are currently on the air, which didn't square in my mind with the past-tense wording of the question. I ended up saying Sale of the Century.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:55 pm

I considered The Price Is Right and Let's Make a Deal, but both shows are currently on the air, which didn't square in my mind with the past-tense wording of the question. I ended up saying Sale of the Century.
LMaD for me as could not figure it out after spending a minute on it. Expecting a zero on the question I figured a miss would not matter. That blankin' ToCer Jared Hall gave me a three on it and then missed the zero I gave him for Fatima. Both of us have to be both mad and happy on tying at 5 for the match.

For me I was very close to going with O'Connor and then flipped to Welty. :oops:

Relying on Food & Drink next to last on Jared's list I gave him a 2 for the mimosa. Bad move on my part as my defense failed me wasting my four right to his three correct.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:55 pm

I blame the internet. E.g., https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a ... -bid-0810/
In thirty-eight years, The Price is Right never had a contestant guess the exact value of prizes in the Showcase showdown.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I felt like the wording "classic game show" implied a show that doesn't currently air, which would exclude TPIR. I'm probably wrong about that, but it helped get me to the right answer.

I flipped the Kosman Koin for the southern gothic writer and it landed on Carson McCullers.