Monday, November 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Monday, November 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:13 pm I said to wiggle the doorknob, instead of jiggle. Or maybe it was the opposite. Either way, I'm giving it to myself.
I said jigger and I too am taking credit.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:38 pm Behind the Music for $2,000 was huuuuuuuuuuuuge negbait for "Born in the USA". Couldn't shift gears after that neg even with 2/3 of the title staring me in the face.
I don't know about huuuuuuuuuuuuge, but the miss was predictable I suppose. I knew 1975 was 9 years too early for Born in the USA so wasn't even tempted. For those not old enough to remember when it came out, it's helpful to connect the song "Born in the USA" with Reagan-era America.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Poll requests seen.

Using search terms of "bill coo" and "clark massachusetts" I turned up a few hits though not many:

#913, aired 1988-07-20 FAMOUS PAIRS $300: To kiss & murmur lovingly like the pigeons do
#3641, aired 2000-06-05 _____&____ $400: This phrase comes from birds rubbing their beaks together & making amorous noises
#7607, aired 2017-10-10 FIRST NAMES IN THE DICTIONARY $1000: It's paired with coo to mean whisper endearments
#8286, aired 2020-11-23 BIRDLIKE VERBS $1000: To talk softly & amorously is "to bill &" do this

#8286, aired 2020-11-23 CLARK $600: Robert Goddard taught physics & did rocket experiments at his alma mater Clark University in this New England state
#2358, aired 1994-11-30 1909 $800: During the year this Austrian psychiatrist gave a series of lectures at Clark University in Massachusetts

For bill & coo I had no response leaning more towards stumper than clam although I had a faint inkling it was "coo".

For MA I took a guess with no real knowledge. Different place, but I was linking physics, so science, "like MIT?" to risk it as I had a 16.67% chance.

For Clark, NV I did not need recent election cycle news to get it as I come across that one many times over the decades. I don't know a lot of counties, unlike the mavens here, but Cook & Harris I can handle.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Instaget FJ. “Won the peace” of WW2 is clearly a reference to the Marshall Plan; don’t see how the UN could come into play in the clue at all.

“bill and coo” a stand and stare? More trash for me...and I’m not even remotely a Springsteen fan, but “Born To Run” is one of those super-hyped albums in rock music, what with the Time cover and all, so I saw it as drastically overvalued in the $2000 slot; wouldn’t have expected that clue higher than $800 or maybe $1200. Also agree that John Glenn was way overvalued, clue-wise.
Flealick
Contributor

Post by Flealick »

TriviaBug wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:35 pm I hate clues like this when no effort is made to eliminate equally valid answer(s). Still remember http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2078 from my early days of watching. I do not know how you would choose the intended answer over
Spoiler
Kipling or London.
Seems to me like "Jungle Battle" would steer one rather strongly away from London, unless you make the mistake of reading far too much into "The Call of." I wouldn't call it a great question, but I think it's fair. If you've familiar with Tarzan of the Apes you're golden, and one can get at least to a 50/50 coin flip without much knowledge of the category. My main problem with it would just be that it's not a very interesting question.

Don't really understand how an answer can be considered "valid" if it asks about chapters of a book the answer didn't write, or about the subject of a quote not referring to the author.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I couldn't believe "bill & coo" was a S&S, but it seems to have thrown at least a couple on this board. I know it from the lyrics of quite a few olde songs, but then I know and love music from well before I was born. (For point of reference, I was born in 1955, the year considered to be when Rock & Roll got going... But I refuse to take any of the blame.)

But then, I didn't know Marshall was a Secretary of State. I know of the Marshall Plan and what it was, but didn't even come close to making the connection.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:47 pm
talkingaway wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:13 pm I said to wiggle the doorknob, instead of jiggle. Or maybe it was the opposite. Either way, I'm giving it to myself.
I remember there was an episode of QI that said the word "jigger" has the most different definitions of any word in the OED, so I wouldnt doubt giving you credit.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Wow! Those men were on fire!

9/10
It's the end of the journey that counts.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Hatch, Brood, Coo, Massachusetts, Herbert Hoover, Born to Run, Mordred, Paul Kruger

Third Monday in a row, impressive one day champion goes down in flames and also the third Monday in a row I go 60/60. Seems like a trend has been activated.
Douglas Squasoni
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:For MA I took a guess with no real knowledge. Different place, but I was linking physics, so science, "like MIT?" to risk it as I had a 16.67% chance.
On that clue, I conflated Robert Goddard with Mark Goddard of Lost In Space. I happened to know that after his TV career, Mark G had been a teacher in the Boston area for awhile. So I reflexively answered Massachusetts with confidence, ha ha.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Another good game and a tough loss for Charlie. I agree that bill and coo is not a phrase that I can recall hearing, but spotted “Bill and” and the definition of making soft sounds of affection, I said coo without hesitation... so maybe I have heard it somewhere? FJ was an Instaget for me, too. “Won the peace” meant Marshall Plan so George Marshall had to be it. It doesn’t hurt that my dad was a big fan of Marshall and I inherited his copy of a three-part biography of Marshall when my mom died.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:53 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:38 pm Behind the Music for $2,000 was huuuuuuuuuuuuge negbait for "Born in the USA". Couldn't shift gears after that neg even with 2/3 of the title staring me in the face.
I don't know about huuuuuuuuuuuuge, but the miss was predictable I suppose. I knew 1975 was 9 years too early for Born in the USA so wasn't even tempted. For those not old enough to remember when it came out, it's helpful to connect the song "Born in the USA" with Reagan-era America.
That's exactly what caused me to clam. I had "Born in the USA" on the tip of my tongue, but I knew instantly that that album was smack dab in the middle of the 80s, and not the 70s - if the timeline is wrong, it's wrong. And, of course, the Reagan connection is real, since Reagan used the title track out of context in his 1984 campaign as a patriotic song, when it's really a protest song.

Gun to my head, as a DD where I have to respond, and with plenty of time to think it through, I think I get "Born to Run". It becomes a game of "Name a Springsteen album", and after "Born in the USA", the only other famous album title I could pull would be "Born to Run". I knew he had a paired album release in the very early 90s (which turned out to be "Lucky Town" and "Human Touch"), and "The River" looks familiar as an album name, but other than that none of the albums look familiar to me. But all that said, while I wouldn't turn the radio off for "Hungry Heart" or "Dancing in the Dark", I'm not a huge Springsteen fan.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

Have you ever heard two turtle doves
Bill and coo when they love?

(Apparently many people have not.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Put me in the “never heard of bill and coo” camp. Not familiar with Clark U, either.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $43,800
52 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: hatch, coo, Herbert Hoover, Kruger

NHO "bill and coo," but a birdlike verb for talking softly and amorously seemed like a WECIB.

Clammed on Born to Run because I couldn't quite eliminate Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J., Springsteen's debut album (it came out in 1973).
Flealick wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:31 pm
TriviaBug wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:35 pm I hate clues like this when no effort is made to eliminate equally valid answer(s). Still remember http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2078 from my early days of watching. I do not know how you would choose the intended answer over
Spoiler
Kipling or London.
Seems to me like "Jungle Battle" would steer one rather strongly away from London, unless you make the mistake of reading far too much into "The Call of." I wouldn't call it a great question, but I think it's fair. If you've familiar with Tarzan of the Apes you're golden, and one can get at least to a 50/50 coin flip without much knowledge of the category. My main problem with it would just be that it's not a very interesting question.

Don't really understand how an answer can be considered "valid" if it asks about chapters of a book the answer didn't write, or about the subject of a quote not referring to the author.
"Valid" isn't quite the right word here. I think TriviaBug is talking about responses that are equally plausible. You judged the clue to be fair because "one can get at least to a 50/50 coin flip without much knowledge of the category." I don't think that's a good standard, especially for a clue that is so crucial to the outcome of the game. The writers are not expecting contestants to actually know chapter titles from Tarzan novels. Instead, they are testing whether contestants can piece together where the various hints in the clue seem to be leading. If those hints lead just as plausibly to one response as to another, the writers have failed.
Sprinkles are for winners.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Can it be true that so many people have never seen the 1948 film "Bill and Coo", starring Burton's Birds?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:02 pm The highlight of today's show:
Alex didn't sound very well at the beginning of the show, but then he sounded fine. After he did his tapdance, I was thinking how lively he was, and then mere weeks later ...
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woof wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:05 am I agree that bill and coo is not a phrase that I can recall hearing, but spotted “Bill and” and the definition of making soft sounds of affection, I said coo without hesitation... so maybe I have heard it somewhere?
That describes my situation exactly. I can't swear I haven't heard the phrase and I can't say I have. "Coo" just seemed like the obvious response.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:36 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:47 pm
I remember there was an episode of QI that said the word "jigger" has the most different definitions of any word in the OED, so I wouldnt doubt giving you credit.
I looked it up to make sure and found "to jerk rapidly" as one of the definitions. Definitely fits "To move a doorknob to & fro with short, quick jerks". Jigger isn't a doorknob-specific word, but neither is the accepted response, jiggle,
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Clark County was a triple stumper in the first game of 2020. Jimmy read the clue: "A Census Bureau map shows that, from 1930 to 2000, the population density of this Nevada county increased by more than 5,000%" The clue showed a map of Nevada with a legend saying "Percent Change in Density by County." If you had time to examine it, you noticed that the bottom corner of Nevada was the darkest blue, corresponding to "5000% or more" in the legend. I'm not sure if that made the clue easier or harder. The clue was gettable from the text alone and the map may have induced information overload.

One contestant guessed "Las Vegas," perhaps hoping the county had the same name as the obvious city that drove those stats, or perhaps just mis-parsing the clue. As I say, information overload was a real possibility here.