Hosting Question

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Hosting Question

Post by thenextofken »

Maybe this has already been discussed on here and I've missed it (haven't been around much), but has anyone thought about Brad Rutter as a host, even as just an interim one? He's well-known to long-time fans of the show, already lives in Southern California, and has previous quiz-show hosting experience. Is he even interested?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Hosting Question

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'd be a little surprised if Brad wasn't on the slate to host sometime after Ken's tenure. I bet they'll give all three from the GOAT tourney a shot at hosting.
oduguy22
Swimming with the Jeopardy! Fishes

Post by oduguy22 »

I'd agree with that. I feel Ken and Brad would definitely get a shot. I don't know about James though. I just get the vibe he wouldn't be interested in hosting, but I don't know. I definitely feel LeVar Burton, Anderson Cooper, Pat Kiernan, probably George Stephanopoulos, and less likely a Wolf Blitzer (oy vey) will get a shot to interim host. Though Jimmy would do well hosting, and I really felt comfortable running the practice game with him. I just feel he would probably be better off staying with the Clue Crew and not taking the reigns as host.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

If even a temporary hosting gig would disqualify someone from competing in future supertourneys (by virtue of having been employed by the show), I would think that would be a huge disincentive to James in particular, and maybe some others. And TPTB may not WANT people like James (and Brad) to be removed from the talent pool for supertourneys.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

That's a good point, hbomb.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:16 pm If even a temporary hosting gig would disqualify someone from competing in future supertourneys (by virtue of having been employed by the show), I would think that would be a huge disincentive to James in particular, and maybe some others. And TPTB may not WANT people like James (and Brad) to be removed from the talent pool for supertourneys.
FWIW, in the GOAT tournament, Alex specifically told all of them it would probably be their last hurrah on the show.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:09 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:16 pm If even a temporary hosting gig would disqualify someone from competing in future supertourneys (by virtue of having been employed by the show), I would think that would be a huge disincentive to James in particular, and maybe some others. And TPTB may not WANT people like James (and Brad) to be removed from the talent pool for supertourneys.
FWIW, in the GOAT tournament, Alex specifically told all of them it would probably be their last hurrah on the show.
I find that hard to believe given the ratings draw and James's age in particular. Buzzy, Julia, Austin, Pam, and Colby are among others who I can't envision the show not wanting to bring back.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Today, LeVar Burton just retweeted the announcement from yesterday that J! was going to do rotating hosts. So, he's either telegraphing to TPTB that he wants a shot, or he's telegraphing to us that he's in negotiations to get a shot.

I can definitely see the Big Three hosting in this rotation - it would be surprising if they didn't. Even if they don't have any interest in hosting the show permanently, it gives them a decent payday, some exposure, and only takes 2-3 days to do a 2 week block. I remember at least one of them making a very specific reference to the end of their time on J! - whether that was as a contestant or on J! period, I don't know, but I would think it's the former - doesn't make sense to burn that bridge.

I'm still rooting for Watson Week.
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

Some people are rather disgusted with Ken being the first choice because of his tweets. I still admire and respect the GOAT himself, but let's be honest, I'd rather have him guest host instead of someone even more controversial than him.
Just a person who loves game shows.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think Ken was the planned for an emergency host if they needed one.

I would love to have Watson as host.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

QuizGeek75 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:44 pm Some people are rather disgusted with Ken being the first choice because of his tweets. I still admire and respect the GOAT himself, but let's be honest, I'd rather have him guest host instead of someone even more controversial than him.
I think it's safe to say 99.9% of Jeopardy's viewership aren't aware of whatever the Twitter controversy was. I follow Jeopardy closely and am active on social media and even I only vaguely remember something about an off-color joke or two. I think he'd be a fine host and I look forward to his trial period.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I'm not a huge consumer of social media, but through the years I've seen some surprisingly hateful output from KJ. Smug, I can handle, but I have no use for extreme, pitiless snark without a solid punchline. Kudos to him for stepping into the breach, but, to paraphrase Stanley Hudson, I'd rather watch an upturned broom with a bucket for a head.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I don't remember anything hateful from Ken; it doesn't seem like him. I recall a joke or two that were viewed by some as insensitive (this one in particular which is back in the news). Definitely no love for the political right, which, as compared to the fairly politically neutral (or at least politically reserved) Trebek, is something of a liability in today's polarized age.
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

I know Ken would never say anything hateful, but there are some people on the left that hate him as much as the right do.
Just a person who loves game shows.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:41 pm I don't remember anything hateful from Ken; it doesn't seem like him. I recall a joke or two that were viewed by some as insensitive (this one in particular which is back in the news). Definitely no love for the political right, which, as compared to the fairly politically neutral (or at least politically reserved) Trebek, is something of a liability in today's polarized age.
Ah, he finally deleted it. Last I saw him saying anything on the matter, he said he left it up after the backlash because he didn't want to seem like he was sweeping it under the rug (more my interpretation than a paraphrase).
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

"When you get too famous/scrutinized not to sweep things under the rug anymore"
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:10 pm "When you get too famous/scrutinized not to sweep things under the rug anymore"
He should have deleted all his old tweets the second he got signed up as "Ambassador of the Game", if not months before.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

LokiFromTheAvengersSayingSentiment.gif
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:01 pm
Robert K S wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:10 pm "When you get too famous/scrutinized not to sweep things under the rug anymore"
He should have deleted all his old tweets the second he got signed up as "Ambassador of the Game", if not months before.
Agreed. That should've been a condition of the job. I never had any aspirations to fame, but it still started to creep me out, way back in 2000, that anything I posted to the internet was likely there forever and anyone who wanted to AltaVista my name could find me making all sorts of fatheaded ill-considered remarks. That's when I took on my current nom de plumage. Anyone who wanted to dig a little could connect me with Opus or vice versa. So I'm not well protected should I achieve even KJ's level of fame. That means there's an outside chance I'm going to regret not taking more drastic secrecy measures. But that's not a worry that keeps me up at nights.
davopardy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by davopardy »

Which includes Ken even though I believe he did say somewhere that the GOAT Tournament was the last one for Ken to participate in as a contestant on the show.
"Jeopardy! was Created by Merv Griffin." -Johnny Gilbert (1996-2000)