Wednesday, November 25, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 25, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SINGER/ACTRESSES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This California-born woman won a Best Leading Actress Academy Award in 1988, when she had 2 Top 20 hit songs

Henry Baer: 10000-799=9201
Ryan Hemmel: 12000+8001=20001 (New Champ)
Antonette Hrycyk: 4600-4599=1

Correct response:
Spoiler
Cher (Henry – Whitney Houston) (Antonette – Madonna)

Daily Doubles
Ryan: 200+1000
Henry: 1800+2000
Henry: 5400-3000

Coryats
Henry: 11800
Ryan: 11400
Antonette: 4600

Combined: 27,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Henry: 3400
Ryan: 4800
Antonette: 3800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Hearing Alex ask about the lifespan for the pet rabbit has a different ring to it than it normally would, in this after Alex time.

The Bullit clue will have people of all varieties across America collecting that piece of trash up for grabs.

Henry had a rough start and was fighting to get back in contention. Ryan led after all wagering points of the game and sealed the victory with the sole solve to let Henry go with no regrets as it was going to be a loss today.

The FJ! category had me come up with three precalls of Babs, Whitney and Madonna. I kept thinking throughout the break and figured the Mariah category was too recent for it to be her. I did not bother writing Julie Andrews as I knew that was not quite the name to fit the category.

Unfortunately, for me, it was a true fourth precall I needed as the clue got me. 30 seconds was not enough to figure out the clue and counting the break I had more like four minutes+ to get it. I wrote nothing because my precalls were 100% out and unlike Hammer does way too often I did not have the correct name on the other hand to throw away.

All of the information was right there in the clue. Think of her and done for a snap solve. Not have the right music chartology or award knowledge at the ready then the clue becomes a lot harder. Today's case is one when I completely understand the insta-solve, if not precall, as equally well as the blank sheet.

In Learned League no way I submit before I finally get it right.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Yeah, yeah, I know, worry about it later and get back to work.

___THE___ $400: Someone may be secretly controlling a situation from here, literally out of view of the theater audience

"Behind the curtain" was the correct response and I wonder if the judges would have had any reason to neg, "behind the scenes"?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Cher was my first thought on FJ, but I made the switch to Bette Midler. I feel like I always guess either Streisand or Cher when a singer/actress clue comes up, and am always wrong.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's complete: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6878

Only one media clue? Did I overlook some? That must mean tomorrow is going to be in double figures for Clue Crew, guest reader, images, etc.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Ran Train Headings & Cartography. :)
:D :D :( on DDs, matching the contestant not coming up with National Urban League.
LOL at the Bottoms Up clue :lol:
Cringe at the FJ category, but took only five seconds to get Cher. :mrgreen:
9400 trash for me. Can we talk our favorite penguin into running a poll?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $40,200 (48R, 1W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

LT $11,800 = baaaaarely missed out on 4th podium victory

Blanked on National Urban League. Had some struggles in DJ in general. NHO kampai, but should have had Ronin.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:21 pm It's complete: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6878

Only one media clue? Did I overlook some? That must mean tomorrow is going to be in double figures for Clue Crew, guest reader, images, etc.
Tomorrow will have Oprah, a soap opera category, and an opera clue where someone sings in Italian.

For the second day in a row a precall right before the answer reveal pays off. I didn’t know the songs and thought the movie was Mask but I got it right. And why was her being born in California important?

I got what they wanted but would they have taken Beat the Time? It was a TV game show, hosted by Guy Smiley, who deserves a shot as the new host.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:10 pm And why was her being born in California important?
Maybe as a negative constraint? Madonna is from Michigan, that's sort of well known, and I think Whitney was from Houston New Jersey. That phrase stuck out to me too as extraneous though. If you aren't getting it from the rest of the clues, "California-born" isn't really going to bring the right response to mind.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:34 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:10 pm And why was her being born in California important?
Maybe as a negative constraint? Madonna is from Michigan, that's sort of well known, and I think Whitney was from Houston New Jersey. That phrase stuck out to me too as extraneous though. If you aren't getting it from the rest of the clues, "California-born" isn't really going to bring the right response to mind.
Often for singer/actresses who have won lots of awards, it can be either Cher or Barbra Streisand. "California born" rules out Streisand, who was born in NY.
GettysburgPhillyFan
Contributor

Post by GettysburgPhillyFan »

Tough DJ board tonight. Can I get a judges’ ruling on Yiddish for Hebrew? Some cursory research indicates that might be arguable.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Yeah, "California-born" must have a ruler-outer. "Funny Girl" was quite some years earlier, but one might know Streisand as an Oscar winner without remembering which film it was for.

A "sojourn" is a stay somewhere, not the journey there. It looks like Ms. Truth was misnamed.

I thought the Barton clue was kind of tricky. I did guess right because Dix was superintendent of all Union nurses, but I didn't know from what date, so i wasn't sure.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Love that the Ryan Gosling doppelgänger got the Ryan Gosling Clue!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

StevenH wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:00 pm I made the switch to Bette Midler
The answer to "where was Bette Midler born" is trickier than I thought
Spoiler
Honolulu, HI
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

GettysburgPhillyFan wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:37 pm Tough DJ board tonight. Can I get a judges’ ruling on Yiddish for Hebrew? Some cursory research indicates that might be arguable.
From what I'm seeing, L'chaim means "to life" in Yiddish, so I think you're good.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:11 pm "Behind the curtain" was the correct response and I wonder if the judges would have had any reason to neg, "behind the scenes"?
I had "scenes" and I'm counting it.

I had Midler for FJ.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Woppy T wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:51 pm Love that the Ryan Gosling doppelgänger got the Ryan Gosling Clue!
Speaking of lookalikes, anyone else think Henry was the spitting image of Oscar Wilde?

This teetotaler managed to go 5/5 in GLOBAL CHEERS!, whereas the contestants... not so much...

Wow, Ambrose Bierce is the correct response to another $2000 clue, only 2 months after Show #8243. I'll take it, as La Leche League was my only bottom-row miss of the game.

Final Jeopardy was a close call for me. I wrote down and was about to settle for Ms. Streisand as I couldn't think of anyone better, but the year 1988 kept raising red flags in my mind as I was sure I missed something. I was then rescued by a one-handed, hairy-chested Nicolas Cage with seconds to spare, and I was fortunate on this occasion to only have to write a 4-letter response with little time..
Last edited by BrigadierSolo13 on Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:12 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:34 pm
Often for singer/actresses who have won lots of awards, it can be either Cher or Barbra Streisand. "California born" rules out Streisand, who was born in NY.
While she strikes me as a New Yorker, that doesn’t mean she was born there. And I had no idea where Cher was born.