Wednesday, November 25, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

The Talking Mime
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by The Talking Mime »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:47 pm
Woppy T wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:51 pm Love that the Ryan Gosling doppelgänger got the Ryan Gosling Clue!
Speaking of lookalikes, anyone else think Henry was the spitting image of Oscar Wilde?
These past few shows, I've wondered at least once who he looked like, since I felt he resembled someone I couldn't think of. Seeing your comment makes me certain that I was thinking of Wilde.

"Academy Award in 1988" was all I needed for FJ.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:38 pm
GettysburgPhillyFan wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:37 pm Tough DJ board tonight. Can I get a judges’ ruling on Yiddish for Hebrew? Some cursory research indicates that might be arguable.
From what I'm seeing, L'chaim means "to life" in Yiddish, so I think you're good.
Nope, it’s Hebrew. It’s one of those Hebrew expressions a Yiddish speaker would use, but it’s Hebrew. “Fiddler on the Roof” anyone?

Now, another clue today used the word “shidduch,” which is another Hebrew word that passed into Yiddish. In Hebrew, the accent goes on the second syllable, but in Yiddish it’s usually on the first. I didn’t quite hear Alex clearly - I thought he pronounced it “she-DOOK” without the Semitic “ch.”
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

The Talking Mime wrote: "Academy Award in 1988" was all I needed for FJ.
Yeah, isn't it a thing for all J! hopeful boardies to have the Best Film/Actor/Actress, etc. mostly memorized? At least up to the turn of the century.

I had to re-read the clue to make sure they were going for best actress. It was worded kind of awkwardly. Momentarily, I was trying to think of the chick from Dirty Dancing, but then there is a discrepancy between the year of the movie vs. the year of the award presentation. I got back to 1987 after several seconds, then knew it had to be Cher.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:48 pm I had no idea where Cher was born.
If you know Cher is Armenian, California is your go-to guess for birth state. (If you had to pick a city, it would be Glendale, but in this case, that wouldn't be right.)
Spoiler
El Centro, California, which is closer to San Diego than it is to L.A.
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:11 pm Yeah, yeah, I know, worry about it later and get back to work.

___THE___ $400: Someone may be secretly controlling a situation from here, literally out of view of the theater audience

"Behind the curtain" was the correct response and I wonder if the judges would have had any reason to neg, "behind the scenes"?
I said "from the wings," where the stage manager is calling cues (if not in a booth at the back of the theater). I didn't accept it during the game, but I'm liking it the more I think about it. When the Wizard of Oz calls out the man behind the curtain, he's not in a theater...

Has there been any other actress with hit records who's won the Academy Award besides Streisand - if you don't know she's from Brooklyn, you don't know Babs - and Cher? I 'm not great with awards, but I do know that (though I wouldn't blame anyone who thought Midler won for The Rose....) :geek:
davey

Post by davey »

The Talking Mime wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:54 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:47 pm
Woppy T wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:51 pm Love that the Ryan Gosling doppelgänger got the Ryan Gosling Clue!
Speaking of lookalikes, anyone else think Henry was the spitting image of Oscar Wilde?
These past few shows, I've wondered at least once who he looked like, since I felt he resembled someone I couldn't think of. Seeing your comment makes me certain that I was thinking of Wilde.
Oscar Wilde was portly, so even if there's a slight facial resemblance I would never have connected them. I got more of a young John Krasinski vibe...
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I instasolved FJ!, but I did see Moonstruck recently - well, intra-pandemic. It might have been April. It helps to go down the list of Best Picture nominated films and make sure that you've seen them, from today backwards. That's my project that I nibble at every once in awhile, but haven't done lately.

I'm not big on knowing who got what awards, but Cher winning Best Actress really stuck out to me. I'm guessing "If I Could Turn Back Time" and that duet with Peter Cetera from the Robert Downey Jr. supernatural death movie..."After All"? Lemme check that...huh. Here's her singles from Wiki (Billboard Hot 100):

I Found Someone - released November 1987, but peaked in January 1988 at 5.
We All Sleep Alone - released in January 1988, peaked at 14, and had to have hit that before 1989
After All - released Feburary 1989
If I Could Turn Back Time - released July 1989

So, those top two are some pretty deep cuts - and I say this as someone who saw her in concert in April of 2019. She didn't do We All Sleep Alone during the concert, and according to setlist.fm, hasn't done it since 2002.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:11 pm Yeah, yeah, I know, worry about it later and get back to work.

___THE___ $400: Someone may be secretly controlling a situation from here, literally out of view of the theater audience

"Behind the curtain" was the correct response and I wonder if the judges would have had any reason to neg, "behind the scenes"?
I had "Pulling the strings", thinking of marionettes. I thought I had a good alternate, until I reread the clue and saw they were looking for a location. If the writers had been nice, they could have stuck a Wizard of Oz reference in there.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Granted, I also had Madonna like the woman.

Anyway, not that good of an episode compared to what we’ve seen earlier this week, but at least we have a $20K+ champ.

5/10
Last edited by rockyboy34 on Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's the end of the journey that counts.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

rockyboy34 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:45 pm Granted, I also had Madonna like the woman.

Anyway, not that good of an episode compared to what we’ve seen earlier this week, but at least we have a $20K+ champ.

6/10
Ha! on me. https://bobbymgsk.wordpress.com/2020/11 ... -11-25-20/

Your posts with the ratings reminded me of things I see on the Robert McBride site. I went there to get the link and while there decided to see if there were any comments on J! Usually I only use the site to get the wording of a Q from Millionaire or Weakest Link, or to see what I missed when TPiR is interrupted.

Finding your post there (or your doppelganger) had me laugh.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

^ You’re right. I am a frequent comment or on Bobby McBride’s website.
It's the end of the journey that counts.
lstone19
Valued Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

davey wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:59 pm

I said "from the wings," where the stage manager is calling cues (if not in a booth at the back of the theater). I didn't accept it during the game, but I'm liking it the more I think about it. When the Wizard of Oz calls out the man behind the curtain, he's not in a theater...
I said "from the wings" as well. I wonder if they were prepared with alternatives or another case of them missing well-known alternative answers.

On the "Where's This Train Headed" answer about the Lake Shore Limited, IMHO Lake Ontario should have been a third acceptable response. While the tracks are not as close to the lake as they are to Lake Michigan and Lake Erie, the train does serve Rochester which is a Lake Ontario port. It seems it would come down to a rather vague understanding of what "runs along" means.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I didn't realize Cher was from California, but it definitely seemed more of a hint against Babs, so Cher it was...

Seemed pretty close to the right year for Moonstruck, too, so I was quite confident.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

33R...1W. Playing the game, I thought for sure I had crossed the 40R plateau...but when I re-watched the episode, it was only 33, 21R in the J! round. Could have gotten a few more but was hesitant to answer some of the ones I wasn't sure about. Got the Steve McQueen TS; "Bullitt" is a great film with one of the best-known car chase sequences in cinema history.

For FJ!, had to think about it but did say Cher right before the music ended. I was a caught a little off guard by the year, but remembered "Moonstruck" being from around that time.
goongas

Post by goongas »

davey wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:59 pm

Has there been any other actress with hit records who's won the Academy Award besides Streisand - if you don't know she's from Brooklyn, you don't know Babs - and Cher? I 'm not great with awards, but I do know that (though I wouldn't blame anyone who thought Midler won for The Rose....) :geek:
Jennifer Hudson won a supporting actress award for Dreamgirls, but she does not have any top 10 charting Billboard hits.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

FJ: struck me as a good get by the new champ on a tricky clue, plus two very good, plausible misses by the other two, plus two perfect wagers by the guys and a plausible wager by the young woman, for an overall very good performance by the three, at least considering they went 1-and-2.

It's probably a good thing I never entertained the possibility of Madonna or Whitney, as I might have been swayed to change my response. I thought Moonstruck was a couple of years later than the date they gave, but still went with Cher.

Good game by all three.

Best of the stay-at-home-and-be-safe holidays, all of you.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I got FJ right away. I once spent the night in Cher's hometown of El Centro. A hellhole among hellholes.

I knew Cher had won the Oscar for 1988 for Moonstruck. The California bit was merely icing on the cake and the clue about the song served as further confirmation. California would have been most useful to prevent the other wrong guesses from the air and that have been speculated on here on the board. If you had done my area code TD, you would know that Whitney Houston is from New Jersey. And I thought it was well known that Madonna was from Detroit.

Antoinette is the cutest contestant in a while.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:54 pm And I thought it was well known that Madonna was from Detroit.
Well, Michigan anyway. She was born in Bay City and grew up in the Detroit 'burbs. Eminem made it pretty well known that Eight Mile Road is the northern city limit of Detroit. Rochester Hills, where Madonna attended HS, is something like 25 Mile, so it's a ways out there.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Oh, Hello Songs. Precalled Adele, but sadly my other precall of "Everlong" by Foo Fighters (easily one of my top 20 favorite songs of all time) was nowhere in sight.

I said "face the music" on Blank the Blank for $200 and don't see how that could be wrong. Judges?

Embarrassed that I couldn't pull "beat the clock". Too many game show titles in my head and I couldn't filter through the "____ the ____" ones in time. Classic case of being bitten by knowing too much.

"Kick the can" is something I've seen mentioned a couple times, but never knew that it was a game.

0/5 in Historic Women. I knew $400 and $600 but clammed since Golda Meir at the top box had me gunshy. And of course, I can never keep Barton/Nightingale straight, especially since my mom used to teach at a school called Clara Bolen and I always get that in the mix too.

Terrible DJ! board for me. I probably could have gotten a few, but after spending nearly half the round without so much as a WAG or clam, I just kinda gave up. Result? 0/30 on DJ!

What was the TOM for Shakespeare on Authors for $400?

Madonna? Nope, she's from Michigan and none of her movies were huge. Carey? No, she was 1990s. Houston? Nope, Bodyguard was 1990s as well. This is going to be painfully obvious, but I just can't get there. No, that wasn't obvious at all. I didn't know Cher had any hits in the 80s, and Moonstruck rings not the faintest of bells for me.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:17 pm I said "face the music" on Blank the Blank for $200 and don't see how that could be wrong. Judges?
It's not compensing a certain musician, so I'd have to say no.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:28 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:17 pm I said "face the music" on Blank the Blank for $200 and don't see how that could be wrong. Judges?
It's not compensing a certain musician, so I'd have to say no.
I don't think I've ever heard the word "compense" before so that threw me.