Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by Volante »

Hot dang, it's back
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

Is 98% correct for "Ice rink" the all-time record?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

bluejaylink wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:29 am Is 98% correct for "Ice rink" the all-time record?
It couldn't be too far off. I couldn't believe it got an average score as high as 0.5. (In my case, I got a '1' on it since my opponent must have seen 'Carnegie' right in my profile and figure that one was a gimme, too.)
classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by classicroadster »

alietr wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:47 am
bluejaylink wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:29 am Is 98% correct for "Ice rink" the all-time record?
It couldn't be too far off. I couldn't believe it got an average score as high as 0.5. (In my case, I got a '1' on it since my opponent must have seen 'Carnegie' right in my profile and figure that one was a gimme, too.)
I gave it a 2, my opponent games/sport was her worst category and food, theater/film, amer and world history were all really good. Didn't matter as she only missed ET, and I lost 2(3) - 6(5). Figured Q1 was Rocky Horror, but I've never seen it, and NHO mornay sauce or Ilium as a body part that I can recall.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

I knew Iliac = Hip (two reasons, Maestro Fresh Wes's line "so many suckers on my sacroiliac;" and my wife complaining about hers since she had kids) - and I thought the Iliad was about Troy, so I put Troy. Should've just kept it simple. Zamboni is offensively easy.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Fracking also had 98%.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Interestingly, there's a thread about it on the LL forum and many Canadians missed this one by putting "arena." Apparently many Canadians feel that an "arena" is synonymous with a building housing an ice rink.

I lost on defense yesterday 8(5)-7(5). My opponent missed Andrew Carnegie of all things. I missed Mornay. In fact I'd never heard of Mornay sauce before yesterday as far as I can recall.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:34 pm
Interestingly, there's a thread about it on the LL forum and many Canadians missed this one by putting "arena." Apparently many Canadians feel that an "arena" is synonymous with a building housing an ice rink.

I lost on defense yesterday 8(5)-7(5). My opponent missed Andrew Carnegie of all things. I missed Mornay. In fact I'd never heard of Mornay sauce before yesterday as far as I can recall.
My first thought was "arena". I only put down "ice rink" because I was sure that would be accepted.

If LL was a Canadian-centric site then "arena" would certainly be accepted. In this case I guess it depends on how far you want to accept regional terms.

Between my own hockey games and practices, my brother and sister's hockey games and practices (when too young to stay home alone), "powerskating" lessons, my sister's figure skating lessons, I was at the "arena" 5 or so times a week growing up. It was referred to as the "arena" nearly exclusively.

Edit - yes an arena could be another type of facility but if you just said "arena" it would be assumed you are referring to an indoor ice rink facility.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My most recent referral, a summer camp friend in his fourth season, got relegated last season and has been atop his C rundle most of this one. He just got pushed to #2 in a Buckner loss, and, more galling for him, knocked his defensive efficiency down from .848 to .760. Meanwhile, I have yet to be on either side of a Buckner, and this season began my tenth year at LL.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

When I first read yesterday's questions I thought that I might not get any of them. But the light bulb came on with Poe on the reread, and I remembered the Dickens connection to "The Raven."

Corvette was my first thought on that question, and I stuck with it for lack of a better guess. Then I somehow came up with "bush" as an educated guess.

The last one I got was Peking. I started in Africa and then in Europe, and had nothing. But then I noticed that the name of the cave sounded Chinese, and realized that Peking man sounded vaguely familiar. Luckily I ended up with a 5(4)-3(3) win.

Movies aren't my strong suit, but I can't believe that I had no idea on the Ralph Breaks the Internet question. There are a couple of websites where I have regularly read movie reviews over the past few years, but I did not recall that one.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Since I knew both answers, I was annoyed to see the word "corvid" appear immediately after the "corvettes" clue. I did manage a lucky win on defense, despite rejecting my overnight inspiration of "breaks the internet". Not sure why but I must have heard it as a phrase without knowing its source.
I'm smart and I want respect.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

Lefty wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:27 am Since I knew both answers, I was annoyed to see the word "corvid" appear immediately after the "corvettes" clue. I did manage a lucky win on defense, despite rejecting my overnight inspiration of "breaks the internet". Not sure why but I must have heard it as a phrase without knowing its source.
FWIW, Ralph Breaks the Internet was not the first instance of "breaking the internet," so you may have heard it in reference to a number of other things. It's basically the new "going viral." A few notable cases: Kim Kardashian's Paper Magazine cover in 2014 (butt out, champagne popping), Beyoncé announcing her pregnancy with twins, "The Egg", and the Ellen Oscars selfie.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

My interest in all things British helped me be the only one in my rundle to get "Constituencies"...but I was one of the few who did not know that Ralph wrecked the Internet. So, I guess it was a wash.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Roughly equivalent to "congressional districts" in the United States, what is the standard term used in the United Kingdom for the 650 electoral areas through which members of the House of Commons (MPs) are elected?

What made 9% come up with "riding"; would like to know what I'm not seeing with that answer.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

SBurrus wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:06 am ...but I was one of the few who did not know that Ralph wrecked the Internet. So, I guess it was a wash.
Count me as another, and to add insult to injury I assigned that one my defensive three! I was just a little surprised when I saw that question had by far the lowest average defense of yesterday's questions! :o
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:13 am Roughly equivalent to "congressional districts" in the United States, what is the standard term used in the United Kingdom for the 650 electoral areas through which members of the House of Commons (MPs) are elected?

What made 9% come up with "riding"; would like to know what I'm not seeing with that answer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riding_(c ... bdivision)

I just googled this. I knew county wasn't right, but the best I could come up with was township
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:10 am
SBurrus wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:06 am ...but I was one of the few who did not know that Ralph wrecked the Internet. So, I guess it was a wash.
Count me as another, and to add insult to injury I assigned that one my defensive three! I was just a little surprised when I saw that question had by far the lowest average defense of yesterday's questions! :o
I was given 3 points for Ralph, weird given that TV and Film are my 1-2, %age-wise. Worse, I dropped the 0 there and my opponent missed it, on the way to my second tie this season that I could have won. (I bet my opponent is thinking the same thing, that he would have won with better defense.)

I stay atop my B rundle, but for the second day in a row only on tie-breakers.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:23 am
triviawayne wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:13 am Roughly equivalent to "congressional districts" in the United States, what is the standard term used in the United Kingdom for the 650 electoral areas through which members of the House of Commons (MPs) are elected?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riding_(c ... bdivision)

I just googled this. I knew county wasn't right, but the best I could come up with was township
Yeah, I said precinct. Constituency made sense when I saw it, but I was never going to get there.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I guessed "boroughs" because I remember reading about the old rotten borough system. They seem to be similar to constituencies but not exactly the same. Anyway, I didn't need it so I can take a relaxed approach to educating myself.

"Riding" I've never head of. It sounds pretty far out.
I'm smart and I want respect.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

I think that's just two days in a row where a portion of Canadians gave a wrong answer lol

That's what they are called in Canada and given the similarities between the parliamentary system in Canada and the UK and that I couldn't pull "constituency", "riding" was my guess.

Also included in that 9% were probably Americans that knew the Canadian colloquial term "riding" and made the same assumption.

Edit - I didn't even know "riding" wasn't the official term until seeing the wikipedia article posted in this thread.