Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by econgator »

bluejaylink wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:30 pm
triviawayne wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:13 am Roughly equivalent to "congressional districts" in the United States, what is the standard term used in the United Kingdom for the 650 electoral areas through which members of the House of Commons (MPs) are elected?

What made 9% come up with "riding"; would like to know what I'm not seeing with that answer.
I think that's just two days in a row where a portion of Canadians gave a wrong answer lol

That's what they are called in Canada and given the similarities between the parliamentary system in Canada and the UK and that I couldn't pull "constituency", "riding" was my guess.

Also included in that 9% were probably Americans that knew the Canadian colloquial term "riding" and made the same assumption.

Edit - I didn't even know "riding" wasn't the official term until seeing the wikipedia article posted in this thread.
I think I learned that term from dhkendall (either here or on Facebook).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I guessed bailiwick on the constituency question.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

SBurrus wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:06 am My interest in all things British helped me be the only one in my rundle to get "Constituencies"...but I was one of the few who did not know that Ralph wrecked the Internet. So, I guess it was a wash.
This was a great get - I don't see how it pulled 29% based on the followup by boardies here. This is super-singleton status, you also had a singleton in the JBL rundle, making you 1 of 40. I'm glad I gave you the three for it in our match but it wasn't enough as I had a good day for me with four right. I changed from Poe to Hawthorne and back to Poe because I thought pre-Civil war was too early. Re-reading the question made it clear that a corvid must be a bird.

I'll post the third quintmester synopsis of the JboardLite rundle soon - I think three lead changes and a horse race at the top.

I started with "precincts" and then changed to "wards". NHO the MCWA of "riding", but the posts here explain it well.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:02 pm I'll post the third quintmester synopsis of the JboardLite rundle soon - I think three lead changes and a horse race at the top.
Please do it while I'm still in 1st place! In my regular rundle, I've been in the red zone all season. I've fallen and I can't get up!!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:46 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:02 pm I'll post the third quintmester synopsis of the JboardLite rundle soon - I think three lead changes and a horse race at the top.
Please do it while I'm still in 1st place! In my regular rundle, I've been in the red zone all season. I've fallen and I can't get up!!
So be it :lol: I am also on the exit ramp with an impressive DE of 0.500. We don't have a red zone down here in D, it is just kind of a washed out pink color :lol:

After 9 days at the top, Bamaman is finally overtooken by the mysterious morbeedo with a 10-4-1 record and a 5 game win streak. But in the rear view mirror is ClassicRoadster with identical points at 9-3-3. Armandillo and Kerryoakie are 3 and 4 points back.

Singleton:
Sburrus - Constituencies - really a sweet get.

Rafael, Noises Off, and Tata were doubletons. No Goat horns this time (9/10 correct, causing a missed sweep)

JBL sweeps:

Zamboni

JBL skunks:
Dave Chapelle (56% leaguewide, lol)
Rosa Luxemburg
Mornay Sauce

That's all the drama and suspense I can create, the fourth quintmester is moving day.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

A couple days advance notice to make sure everyone remembers the LL87 Classic this weekend!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

GOLF hole?!?!
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

alietr wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:06 am GOLF hole?!?!
That was all that made sense to me given that I figured a mine, well, or anything like that wouldn't fit the clue, the Greenbriar resort is in WV, and the year of 1884 was when golf was being introduced to the US. A bit of a guess, but when I thought of it, it made total sense.

I had my first beer in 3 seasons (sorry kerryoakie). I knew Panama Canal and Mickey right off. Thought initially Kiev, but the geography didn't work (Ukraine is way more south than west of Moscow) and I also thought the baltics and Ukraine became countries right off so Minsk was the only other real option. Bill the cat was something I've heard of and was kind of all I had. Quantum, similar, was the most latin sounding physics branch I could think of after remembering the question from past seasons which said something along the lines of atom being greek. Still sitting middle of my C rundle which is just fine with me.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

classicroadster wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:24 am
I had my first beer in 3 seasons (sorry kerryoakie).
At least I tied in my regular rundle? <insert shrug emoji>

This season has been SUPER unlucky for me thus far. I have DE of 0.750, my TCA is ~50%ile in my rundle, yet I'm sitting 21st (one place above relegation). I keep hoping that my luck might turn around, but it is 2020 after all.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:31 am(Just to give you a notification since you may not come in to this thread)
What's the matter with kids these days (the 33 is the percent that got it right)? And I thought his name was "Bill the Cat", not just "Bill".

LL Bill the Cat.JPG
LL Bill the Cat.JPG (23.6 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:46 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:31 am(Just to give you a notification since you may not come in to this thread)
What's the matter with kids these days (the 33 is the percent that got it right)? And I thought his name was "Bill the Cat", not just "Bill".

LL Bill the Cat.JPG
Yeah, that's just disappointing.

I'm guessing that people just named a cat, which is why Garfield was the MCWA, but at least they kept it in the family (Bill the Cat being the illegitimate son of Garfield).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Yeah, I'm amazed even 10% got that one. I thought my guess of "oil well" was pretty solid. I was also pretty shocked to only see 33% get Bill the Cat. Does our opusthepenguin play in LearnedLeague?
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:13 am
Yeah, I'm amazed even 10% got that one. I thought my guess of "oil well" was pretty solid. I was also pretty shocked to only see 33% get Bill the Cat. Does our opusthepenguin play in LearnedLeague?
"Oil well" was what I settled on and felt good about it too. The still-in-use part really complicating things as I thought it made "mine" or "mineshaft" a more possible option. I also considered some sort of "tunneled road" guess but that seemed awkward. I thought it could be referring to a tunnel through a West Virginia mountain that a road still uses today.

I did guess "Panama Canal" but that is shockingly late for the first official business trip abroad for a President.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

bluejaylink wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:38 am I did guess "Panama Canal" but that is shockingly late for the first official business trip abroad for a President.
It is, but when you consider getting anywhere other than Canada or Mexico prior to the 20th century would require the President be gone for weeks with somewhat limited ability to communicate back to the U.S. it certainly makes sense.

Looks like TR was gone for 17 days according to this article: https://www.history.com/this-day-in-his ... -to-panama
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I wracked my brain ... oil well? wishing well? coal mine? train tunnel? Artesian well? Finally, because it indicated it was actually in the town, I went with "swimming" (pool or hole) thinking it might be related to hot springs or something. No, golf never came close to occurring to me.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I guessed natural gas for the hole. I did get Bill.

I was playing someone from England on the day of the constituencies question. Easiest defense ever.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

The oldest surviving of a certain type of hole still in use in the United States is widely believed to be in the West Virginia town of White Sulphur Springs, and dates from 1884. What type of hole is it?

This is a good question, but the clue needs some work, ergo, 10% get rate. Obviously you can't say "nine holes" or even give it away as a sports category. I think something like "certain types of holes" might be a less misleading. A couple of problems with the clue:
1) I think the clue implies that the ORIGINAL hole in the ground survives. No chance unless there were some very forward looking preservationists. For the non-golfers: the physical hole is moved around frequently to even out the wear and to change the playing characteristics. Generally, the layout will rotate with 6 easy locations, 6 average ones, and 6 difficult pin placements.
2) There is some ambiguity in that a "golf hole" almost always implies the entire real estate from tee to green. In that regard, this clue is accurate. The wording of the clue implies a literal hole in the ground.

I rarely criticize the commish, but this one probably didn't turn out as he wanted. It's still a fair question but the commish doesn't write trick questions on purpose to my limited experience. I would have known the approximate decade that golf arrived for a sports question but this sounded like a business/industry clue.

BTW, the "New Course" at St. Andrews was built in 1895. The Old Course dates to the 1400's, and the 1750's in the exact format today. :lol:.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:46 am

Ha! Thanks for the heads up. I saw the notification and immediately thought, "I don't read that thread, let alone post to it. How is someone replying to me there?" Very clever.

I'd say "Bill" is just fine when spotted "a cat named". He's Bill the Cat the way Opus is Opus the Penguin. The 33 percent is particularly sad since this is the trivia community, not a randomly selected group. Bloom County seems to be one of those weird phenomena where, outside the circle of people who have some familiarity, there's just no recognition at all. Blank stares. I'm sure Garry Trudeau is filled with schadenfreude.

Here's another example some may recall:

https://youtu.be/JykO3wEG-Ho

I might run a poll at some point to find out how many boardies recognized my name when they first saw it vs how many realized only later (perhaps as late as the poll in question) that there was a comics character behind it.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Newspaper comics in general I think are becoming a bit of a relic, just as print newspapers are. I would imagine anyone under 30 struggles on most questions in that area if they aren't the biggest names like Garfield, Snoopy, Calvin and Hobbes, etc. I would consider it a bit of a specialty, as I used to read the comics every day when I lived with my parents, but it's been 15 years now since I've looked at them with any regularity, as I've never subscribed to a newspaper. I'm sure plenty of strips that have popped up in that time frame that I'd be just as clueless about if they were asked in trivia.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:16 pm Here's another example some may recall:

And one of the stand-and-starers is Alistair! The horror, the horror.