Hosting Question

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Hosting Question

Post by Bamaman »

I hope someone doesn’t see the headline and think Trump is actually being considered as a replacement host. The betting site put his name on the list to be funny and get attention. They may even get some idiots to actually place a bet on Trump getting the job.
Raffles

Post by Raffles »

Okay, here's another point of view. I'm a casual viewer, usually Jeopardy is on while I am making dinner. Stats are irrelevant to me, and if I miss a few shows I don't care. I'm probably a much more typical viewer than the folks who post regularly.

Here's what I want in a new host: someone who shares Alex's point of view that the stars of the show are the contestants and the answers. The host should be a personable, bright facilitator who doesn't need to prove how clever they are. Importantly, I don't want to know the political persuasion of the host. No A. Cooper, no Stephanopoulos, no Trump, no Bongino, NONE of that ilk. If a publicly political partisan gets the hosting gig, I'm out - and I won't be alone.
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by zakharov »

I think the ship has sailed on most public personalities staying "apolitical."

Sajak's been forthright with his right-wing views for years and that hasn't hurt his Wheel career, for what it's worth.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Do we want somebody pro-knowledge, anti-knowledge, or somebody that doesn’t have a stance?

We’re bound to disappoint a lot of people.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

zakharov wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:52 am I think the ship has sailed on most public personalities staying "apolitical."

Sajak's been forthright with his right-wing views for years and that hasn't hurt his Wheel career, for what it's worth.
The difference is Cooper hosts a show where he gives his political views. George S. worked for Bill Clinton. I have no idea what Levar Burton’s politics are.

I don’t care what the host thinks about politics as long as he or she keeps it off the show. I wouldn’t have a problem with Rachel Maddow or Sean Hannity as host.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:06 pm Do we want somebody pro-knowledge, anti-knowledge, or somebody that doesn’t have a stance?

We’re bound to disappoint a lot of people.
Someone who's pro-knowledge but doesn't confuse that with a political agenda. Ideally, we wouldn't know the person's political agenda at all. Realistically, whatever political agenda they have would be low key, have nothing to do with their Jeopardy persona, and absolutely never be injected into comments, quips, and asides during the show. People used to know how to do this. I admit it's a little trickier now. There's less common ground and so many more things have been politicized.

As I think about it, I'm really warming to the idea of LeVar Burton.
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:51 pm I have no idea what Levar Burton’s politics are.
He's pro-reading. So Trump comes in for some criticism on that score, as does Kanye. I'm cool with that level of politics.
Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Anachronism »

I don't want to know the new host's politics. Jeopardy! is my respite from the incessant political bleating from public figures. It used to be sports, but the media took that away. If Sony hired an Anderson Cooper or a Sean Hannity for this job, I'm fairly certain I would no longer even have a live feed for the television. All these celebs and politicians... all they do is try and divide us, make us hate for the stupidest of reasons. They seem to realize that without getting us to hate each other, they have no power.

Alex Trebek was my oasis within this vast world of public hate, and I miss him already.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This is who you want to be a host?!? I wouldn't even let him be my latex salesman! (Sorry, Ken, it's just how I happened to pause the show.)

Ken Host.jpg
Ken Host.jpg (59.69 KiB) Viewed 1426 times