Monday, December 7, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, December 7, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, December 7, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FANTASTIC BEASTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Symbols of strength in the Bible include Behemoth & this horned creature, perhaps an extinct wild ox, which the King James Version mentions 9 times

Katherine Ryan: 16400-16400=0
Amy Kimmel: 9800-9700=100
John Vigna: 22000-10801=11199 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
unicorn (Katherine – Gorgon) (Amy – manticore) (John – jus beast)

Daily Doubles
John: 3800+800
John: 9000+3000
Katherine: 7800+7800

Coryats
Katherine: 10600
Amy: 9800
John: 20600

Combined: 41,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Katherine: 1800
Amy: 3800
John: 6600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Board member John Boy has tried to get on J! many times over many years without getting the call. Has he ever tried a mohawk? That seems to work well in Dec. 2020.

Today's John had his way with the buzzer in liking his draw. Tomorrow is a different mix and we'll see if he can control the boards again.

The FJ! category had me expecting combo things like griffin, chimera, etc.

The FJ! clue had me unable to get past the Leviathan to work on the clue to open more options.

In the archive I found one previous clue in the correct area:
Spoiler

#4887, aired 2005-12-06 BIBLICAL ZOO $200: Symbolic animals in the KJV include the dragon & this single-horned animal mentioned in Numbers 23:22
Not that that clue was going to help me today.

John bet the proper cover from the lead. If he misses he drops to 11199 which of course happened. Katherine needed to cover the possible 19600 by Amy. That's 3201. A miss with that wager and Katherine wins with 13199 to truly make her big move on DD3 pay off. Instead she gets herself on John and Amy's holiday mailing list and that's it.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I know exactly two biblical beasts, one of them lives in water, and the other was mentioned in the clue. No wonder it stumped the contestants.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Right or wrong, between the category and the clue I read, "name an imaginary horned animal". Well, what's the first thing that comes to mind?

If this were a top row clue during regular game play, it would have been nothing but a buzzer race.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

All done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6886

Those who enjoyed Katherine's wedding night error on Friday can have another laugh at her expense for her having the wrong islands. Too bad she lost or she could have tried for the trifecta tomorrow with the wrong Madonna song or airline.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

trash: Sequoyah, The Witcher, void, Brasilia, diminuendo
runs: History, Trading Places, Video Games, U before E, Oxford's :)
DD: :D :( (Uranus) :D
judges: clean slate for blank slate? :?:
FJ: Thought leviathan was a sea creature, but went with it. Seriously, unicorn? :shock:
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $45,200 (50R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :(

Had a miserable $1200 row but otherwise perfect DJ round. Only neg was Philippines for Hawaiian Islands... should have known better than to guess. Clammed on "my word is my bond" but wouldn't "oath" also fit the clue?
Robert K S wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:18 pm I know exactly two biblical beasts, one of them lives in water, and the other was mentioned in the clue. No wonder it stumped the contestants.
You and me both. Had no idea the Bible mentioned unicorns.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

I would love to have some "behind the scenes" insight into how the current writers come up with clues.

Today's FJ, for instance, makes perfect sense if you start from the Wikipedia page for "unicorn." However, if you come at the clue from the perspective of Hebrew language or Biblical exegesis, it's a tougher call. First, not all nine instances of רְאֵם‎ (re'em, what the KJV translates as "unicorn") in the Hebrew Bible use it as a symbol of "strength" in the usual sense. Second, not all nine instances require the described animal to have just one horn; certainly there's a prominent horn on the animal but linguistically or zoologically there could be a total of two or three horns just as readily as one.

Finally, the same Hebrew word that the KJV translates as "unicorn" is used today to indicate the Arabian Oryx, which is an endangered species, not an extinct one, an important distinction that muddies the clue all the more.

The clue could be repaired for clarity in several ways, in any of several directions, to improve it substantially over what was used. I would love to know more about how a FJ clue like this one is created, reviewed, and finalized.
TriviaBug
Valued Contributor

Post by TriviaBug »

Another Monday, another FJ miss.

Other than Leviathan, I also wondered if aurochs were ever mentioned in the Bible. Never thought of unicorns as a symbol of strength.

In that video games category, surely am not the only one who said Anne Rice for the 1K clue.
My website and app - http://triviabug.com
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

TriviaBug wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:45 pm Other than Leviathan, I also wondered if aurochs were ever mentioned in the Bible. Never thought of unicorns as a symbol of strength.
I said aurochs because I was more certain it's not Leviathan. I'm counting it wrong, but reading Wikipedia on re'em, I'm not sure I wouldn't have a case.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

I had Leviathan and it looks like so did a couple others in this thread so far. I smell a possible poll question.....
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

If The Simpsons has taught me anything, it's that there was a Unicorn named Gary in the Garden of Eden.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I thought that the Manhattan Bridge clue was overvalued. I suspect people can name many of the bridges, but knowing the order of them without a hint is not that easy (I whiffed with the Williamsburg Bridge, which is the next next).

No guess on FJ. I know the Leviathan is a sea creature, so that wasn't it. Never, ever would I have guessed a unicorn. If it were multiple choice, I would have immediately eliminated that choice. Guess I know better now.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:37 pm I thought that the Manhattan Bridge clue was overvalued. I suspect people can name many of the bridges, but knowing the order of them without a hint is not that easy (I whiffed with the Williamsburg Bridge, which is the next next).

No guess on FJ. I know the Leviathan is a sea creature, so that wasn't it. Never, ever would I have guessed a unicorn. If it were multiple choice, I would have immediately eliminated that choice. Guess I know better now.
When the bridge clue came up I told myself not to guess since I don't know them other than a few names. As the clue was being read I thought of the Verrazano as one I could name. Before Alex finished reading the clue I then thought of the GW and guessed that when time to ring in. When Verrazano was negged I thought I got lucky. Nope, -600.

I've since looked at the lists here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b ... _York_City

When tunnels come up I'm going to try to avoid a Holland/Lincoln coin toss as I can see there are many more options.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:46 pm When the bridge clue came up I told myself not to guess since I don't know them other than a few names. As the clue was being read I thought of the Verrazano as one I could name. Before Alex finished reading the clue I then thought of the GW and guessed that when time to ring in. When Verrazano was negged I thought I got lucky. Nope, -600.

I've since looked at the lists here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b ... _York_City

When tunnels come up I'm going to try to avoid a Holland/Lincoln coin toss as I can see there are many more options.
I had relatives in Staten Island, so I've driven over the Verrazano many times. I also know the GW goes to NJ, so it's Hudson River, not East. And then there's my favorite bridge-name crossing the Harlem River: the Spuyten Duyvil.

As far as tunnels ... yeah, good luck. :)
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

Another "aurochs" guess here.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:37 pm I thought that the Manhattan Bridge clue was overvalued. I suspect people can name many of the bridges, but knowing the order of them without a hint is not that easy (I whiffed with the Williamsburg Bridge, which is the next next).

The clue mentioned the Brooklyn Bridge so maybe they could have said something about it also being named for a borough.

I tried to come up with Leviathan but couldn’t even pull that. Nowhere close to unicorn.

Great DD bet undone by a bad one in FJ.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

Actually aurochs might work for that clue but I guess they specifically mentioned the King James Version.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Re%27em