Monday, December 7, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, December 7, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Philliesfan02 »

Today, I got stuck on the 'wild ox' part and couldn't get my brain back on track. Just to have something, I wrote down... 'unicorn'

SOMETHING IS ALWAYS BETTER THAN NOTHING ON FINAL. Remember that.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

0/5 in Bridges. Almost said "tsunami" at $200, which seemed far more logical to me; no guess on the rest. There's a Manhattan bridge?!

Also 0/5 in Planets. Mentally guessed and was wrong on all five. For some reason, not a single planetary fact sticks in my brain no matter how hard I try (e.g. Venus being hotter than Mercury, and whichever planet is the biggest...)

Back to the Future was my only get in Movie Goofs. There's a movie called Pretty Woman?!

There's a British Museum?! I saw absolutely no TOM in that clue whatsoever.

Yet another 0/5 in Oxford's Very Short. Spaced out on "Islam" in the top box; no hope on the rest.

All but the top box in "U" Before "E". I brain-farted and thought the word had to begin with "U".

Blanked on "twine" for a 4/5 in Twisted.

Wheelhouse category for the furry, right? Almost froze up entirely on this one, but somehow managed to hesitantly guess "unicorn" near the end of the music.

Lach Trash: diminuendo.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I would never get to mythical with "extinct" in the clue.
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

Got stuck on the "strength" part of the FJ! clue and went with griffon - I think I was primed for that because of a recent clue about the griffon being an "in-house favorite". Ironically, I think someone here mentioned unicorns when this clue came up in a FJ! a month ago:

#8279, aired 2020-11-12 WORLD FLAGS: Both Wales & Bhutan have flags bearing one of these mythical creatures

Clues I got because of my love of 80s music: Istanbul (not Constantinople) and Joshua Tree.

The Ridley Scott clue had me falling for the trap with Alien. NHO Rutger Hauer - I thought he was a character, and not an actor, and since I can't name any characters from either Alien or Blade Runner other than Sigourney Weaver's Ripley, I figured it was worth a guess. Oops.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Yeah, I thought that was a garbage clue for FJ. There is no way I am going from an ox to a unicorn in 30 seconds. Throwing in the Bible led me straight to Leviathan. I even thought, "I guess they mentioned the Behemoth so people wouldn't get confused and say that instead."

If you say "mythical horned beast", that's a unicorn. The rest of the clue leads you straight away from that.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:10 pm 0/5 in Bridges. Almost said "tsunami" at $200, which seemed far more logical to me; no guess on the rest. There's a Manhattan bridge?!
All boroughs but Staten Island appear in bridge names (Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queensboro, Bronx-Whitestone),
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:21 pm
You and me both. Had no idea the Bible mentioned unicorns.

The odd thing is that all the references seem to be post-Noah. After all,
Old Noah looked out into the driving rain,
Them Unicorns was hiding, playing silly games,
Kicking and splashing while the rain was pouring,
Oh, them silly Unicorns.
There was green alligators and long-necked geese,
Some humpty-backed camels and some chimpanzees,
Noah cried, "Close the doors 'cause the rain is pourin',
And we just can't wait for no Unicorns."
The Ark started movin', it drifted with the tide,
Them Unicorns looked up from the rock and they cried,
And the waters came down and sorta floated them away,
That's why you'll never see a Unicorn, to this very day. Or so I'd always understood.

I got curious about aurochs vis-à-vis oryxes. Is there a difference, aside from one's being extinct? Apparently, probably. Reportedly the Germans sought to rescue the former from extinction during WWII, but the time was not right. The effort continues today, though, per Smithsonian mag.
Bamaman wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:04 pm
The clue mentioned the Brooklyn Bridge so maybe they could have said something about it also being named for a borough.
I have a feeling that would have prompted guesses of Queens bridge, or Queensborough*, if they've heard of it. "BMW", btw, is a popular mnemonic for the three Manhattan-Brooklyn East River bridges, south to north.

So Charlie McCarthy was a "ventriloquism" Who knew? And who knew they'd make a sequel to "Marty" thirty years later?

* Also known as the 59th Street Bridge, but never as the Ed Koch.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Lefty wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:47 pm So Charlie McCarthy was a "ventriloquism" Who knew?
"Puppet" was in the clue, so presumably an adjective was all they needed. And here "ventriloquism" was a noun-as-adjective.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Stinker of an FJ clue, and I say that as someone who will get to check Monday's box in the poll. Like a lot of boardies, I started with leviathan (and I'm surprised none of the contestants went with that). I wondered if perhaps leviathan was described as having a horn à la the narwhal, and I just wasn't remembering. But eventually the combination of category and the King James TOM pushed me to consider unicorn, which I knew put in an appearance in the KJV but not in other translations. So that's what I went with. Right up to the end I was worried I'd talked myself out of the correct response.

For the contestants, of course, who couldn't even fill in the blank for "The earth was without form and ____," this FJ was a non-starter. Even if the clue had been properly formulated, I don't like their chances. But since the category didn't mention the Bible, they had no way of adjusting their bets accordingly. Still, as Mark noted, Katherine should've won on a TS. It's a shame to see her gutsy all-in move on DD3 pay off only to have a lack of wagering knowledge do her in at the end. There may not have been enough time for her to read the KJV before game day, but there was plenty of time to learn how to wager from 2nd.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:12 pm
Lefty wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:47 pm So Charlie McCarthy was a "ventriloquism" Who knew?
"Puppet" was in the clue, so presumably an adjective was all they needed. And here "ventriloquism" was a noun-as-adjective.
I thought "dummy" was the right answer. As you say, "puppet" was in the clue.
I'm smart and I want respect.
davey

Post by davey »

teapot37 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:40 pm Yeah, I thought that was a garbage clue for FJ. There is no way I am going from an ox to a unicorn in 30 seconds. Throwing in the Bible led me straight to Leviathan. I even thought, "I guess they mentioned the Behemoth so people wouldn't get confused and say that instead."

If you say "mythical horned beast", that's a unicorn. The rest of the clue leads you straight away from that.
Yes. If unicorn came to mind - I think it did before the clue was revealed - I swatted it away because of strength and wild ox. I think of unicorns as graceful and delicate - Behemoth too prepped us for something lumbering and monstrous...A real fake-out of a clue... :twisted:
davey

Post by davey »

Lefty wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:47 pm

I have a feeling that would have prompted guesses of Queens bridge, or Queensborough*, if they've heard of it. "BMW", btw, is a popular mnemonic for the three Manhattan-Brooklyn East River bridges, south to north.

So Charlie McCarthy was a "ventriloquism" Who knew? And who knew they'd make a sequel to "Marty" thirty years later?

* Also known as the 59th Street Bridge, but never as the Ed Koch.
Thanks for the mnemonic. I live here and forget the order. I said Williamsburg tonight, which is at least close by, unlike the other bridges invoked.
Ick on ventriloquism being accepted. Puppetry and ventriloquism are separate arts. "These puppets" have a name. It's not "ventriloquism puppets." Ventriloquist's doll would be fine if the other seemed too much like name-calling... ;)
I was also not happy with a response of John's shortly after, when he said the ballerina was performing a pirouay (pirouet?). That's not correct even if a man is doing it... :roll:
davey

Post by davey »

I got interested in Movie Goofs for $400. Is it a goof? Between shots she puts down the croissant and picks up the pancake, which you can see on her plate in the first shot...She's hungry (as anyone who eats a pancake with her hands must be...)! She probably hasn't been getting regular meals....I understand the character has been leading a dissolute life... :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cX76YS3NEU
davey

Post by davey »

TriviaBug wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:45 pm

In that video games category, surely am not the only one who said Anne Rice for the 1K clue.
Bur why would Ann Rice inspire an "industrialist villain"? I focused on initials before noticing it was same initials, and for a second I assumed it was J.K. Rowling...but she's become a villain only recently... :?
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

unicorn.jpg
unicorn.jpg (85.89 KiB) Viewed 2606 times
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I was terribly amused at the champ's guess of Virgin Islands after her blooper on Friday.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:10 pm
Back to the Future was my only get in Movie Goofs. There's a movie called Pretty Woman?!
From the May 23, 2019 game thread:
John Boy wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:43 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:31 pm
"Pretty Woman" is a film?!
Please stop. Just. Stop.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Cast me in with the Leviathan lot. My wife is a worship leader and both of her parents are pastors. All 3 were clueless as to there being any reference to a unicorn in the Bible, let alone 9...

Also, I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but this is the 12th game in a row in which all 61 clues have been played. Lucky 13 tomorrow is bound to make me curse bringing it up... :roll:
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Despite the triple FJ! miss, everyone did very well.

7/10
It's the end of the journey that counts.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:04 am Cast me in with the Leviathan lot. My wife is a worship leader and both of her parents are pastors. All 3 were clueless as to there being any reference to a unicorn in the Bible, let alone 9...

Also, I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but this is the 12th game in a row in which all 61 clues have been played. Lucky 13 tomorrow is bound to make me curse bringing it up... :roll:
When I watched, one of those teaser promos for the week ran that included another Ken category. The first two times this season that Ken presented there were clues unplayed. The most recent time did have the boards completed. We'll see if it goes 50% or 75%.

From archiving games it does seem like recently there are fewer Clue Crew and guest reader clues and that saves time with not as much wordage. If Mike Richards has had a hand in trying better to get boards completed then good for him. It's an upward trend no one can dislike other than run-out-the-clock runaway leaders.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

If you've spent as much time looking at the New York City subway map as I have... you know these three bridges.