Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by seaborgium »

I completely forgot about the "only last name is necessary unless otherwise specified" rule, but said Charlotte. My reasoning for choosing her was that I was pretty sure Emily was unique among the sisters for having only written the one novel, and I could name two Anne novels and only one Charlotte novel, so the novel in question might as well be Charlotte's. (Also, I've been binge-watching UK "The Chase" clips recently, and I thought I might have seen a question about which Brontë wrote Shirley, with Charlotte being the correct answer.)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

bluejaylink wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:57 pm Thanks I see it now. Moneying is probably too strong. Maybe he should raise the base rate for a correct answer from 15 to 30. I'm sure this has been discussed before.
I just posted a poll about this on the LL message board: https://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php ... 01#p202401

edit: yeah, never, ever put down a first name in LL unless it is specifically asked for.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bluejaylink wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:57 pm Thanks I see it now. Moneying is probably too strong. Maybe he should raise the base rate for a correct answer from 15 to 30. I'm sure this has been discussed before.
What is that really going to change, though? If anything I think it would decrease participation. As it is now, you with 7 right can beat someone with 11 right. Personally, I think that's part of the excitement. That would pretty much be impossible with a doubling in the amount for a correct answer. And at the very top, it makes no difference. They all get 12 right anyway, so it still just comes down to moneying.
mrparadise
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mrparadise »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:38 am I completely forgot about the "only last name is necessary unless otherwise specified" rule, but said Charlotte. My reasoning for choosing her was that I was pretty sure Emily was unique among the sisters for having only written the one novel, and I could name two Anne novels and only one Charlotte novel, so the novel in question might as well be Charlotte's. (Also, I've been binge-watching UK "The Chase" clips recently, and I thought I might have seen a question about which Brontë wrote Shirley, with Charlotte being the correct answer.)
I got lucky with a 4(2) 3(3) win so I'm not as upset as I would have been. I was pretty sure that the last name suffices unless stated otherwise but, as someone else pointed out, the question really only works (imho) if a last name is required so I thought maybe that was an oversight (though a Thorston oversight would seem to be an oxymoron) and I decided it best to go with a first name. And as I had never heard of the novel I figured it had to be an obscure work by the relatively obscure Anne. So much for figuring.

Why isn't Vatican City also correct? Am I missing something obvious, again?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mrparadise wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:42 am Why isn't Vatican City also correct? Am I missing something obvious, again?
Yep, distance:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Feder ... 12.6119908

It'd be like flying into New York City to visit Washington DC
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Woof wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:26 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:02 pm 8/12 on the Mid-Season Classic. Sub-optimal moneying but good enough for a Top 10% finish and Rundle qualifier - though not a great overall finish for Taiga (64th place!)

Surprised that Marbury v. Madison played harder than Wagyu

Got credit for Beider Manhoff (for Baader Meinhof)

I might have pulled Hawkeye and The Velvet Underground with a little more time.
Before you complain about your moneying, realize that you finished ahead of me and I had 10/12 :oops:
Oh I wasn’t complaining. The differential between should not have moneyed/ moneyed only amounts to 21 points, but optimal moneying would have catapulted me from 492nd to 277th place.

I was happy to finish in the top 10%- I think I’ve only done that once before.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:15 pm I got 11 right and didn't even qualify in my rundle (I was sixth)! My moneying wasn't superb, but it wasn't terrible either.

The one I missed was "50 Shades of Grey." I put "Divergent."
I had no clue on that question and went for BWA with "Vampire State of Mind". I got 8 out of 12, also missing Wagyu, Courage, and Matisse (I talked myself out of the correct answer and went with Picasso--facepaw).
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Volante wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:47 am
mrparadise wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:42 am Why isn't Vatican City also correct? Am I missing something obvious, again?
Yep, distance:

Ah, yes, I was assuming (guessing) that was Rome's airport. If I'd pondered it I might have concluded that was too obvious and guessed San Marino.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

mrparadise wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:25 pm
Volante wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:47 am
Yep, distance:

Ah, yes, I was assuming (guessing) that was Rome's airport. If I'd pondered it I might have concluded that was too obvious and guessed San Marino.
Knowing that Rome's airport is DaVinci and that Nice's airport services Monaco, San Marino was the only other choice. Ended up winning yesterday by having slightly better bad defense 6(4)-5(4). I'm bad at lit, but did put Bronte only to get all the points (TBH, if it asked for first and last I would've said Charlotte as I couldn't remember the other sister). I've NHO of surprise and AMLO so I didn't feel too bad missing those.
morbeedo beat me 6(4)-7(5), but I guess it should've been a beer on my head.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I can't be the only person who spent a while trying to remember Enrique Pena Nieto's first name only to find out it was an entirely different guy. :oops:

econgator wrote:As it is now, you with 7 right can beat someone with 11 right. Personally, I think that's part of the excitement.
It's exciting if you're the guy who got 7 right. Not nearly as exciting for the guy who got 11. And let's face it, there is some skill in moneying, but there's also a whole lot of luck. It just feels wrong to me that the defensive element is so much more important than the offensive element (i.e. actually getting the correct answers).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

classicroadster wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:02 pm Ended up winning yesterday by having slightly better bad defense 6(4)-5(4).
Oh, I definitely won the "Defense, what's that!?" battle yesterday, scoring a 7(3)-6(3) victory.

I'd suspect that score appears less than most all others.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

econgator wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:30 am "5a.2 For questions which require the name of a person (or entity) for an answer (such a question might be indicated by a "who" or explicit asking for a name), the last name (family name) is required, and only the last name is required, unless otherwise specified."

(emphasis mine)

There you go.
such a strange thing how knowing the rules of a game you're playing can help you in playing said game...
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:14 am
Volante wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:59 am
triviawayne wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:47 am
Volante wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:14 am Stupid Bronte 50/50/90...
my coin landed on its side, so I only put the last name and got credit.

I considered putting a first name, as that would be the norm in this situation, but because there is no way to be asked BMS in this game, and because it didn't say "first and last name required" as has happened in the past, I only put the last name figuring I would give the wrong first name if asked anyway.
Lookie Mr Fancypants over here knowing the rules and all! *ooOooOOo*
*mutters at self*
Mind blown! IMO this is a pointless question if the first name is not required, as Emily so obviously points to the Brontës. Lost the coin flip (Anne / Charlotte) and the match 6(5)-9(6)
totally agree, he should've required it. I was in the middle of deciding which first name to use when I realized I might get away with not using one.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The way I look at the Shirley question is that it was much more asking whether you knew who the Emily in the question was rather than who wrote the book. I thought it was quite clever.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

trainman wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:53 am
Woof wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:26 pmBefore you complain about your moneying, realize that you finished ahead of me and I had 10/12 :oops:
I got 10/12 and only hit the 60th percentile, so I contend my moneying was the worst.
Not even close. I got 10/12 and finished in the 35th percentile, surrounded by folks with 4-7 right. Kind of a perfect sh**storm of bad moneying: missed 4 (Picasso) and 12 (Ginzu) and moneyed both, plus chose to money 1, 5 and 11 instead of 2, 3, 7 and 9. Had I paused long enough to remember Ginzu was knives and Ginza the shopping district, and moneyed perfectly, I coulda been in the 98th and topped A Cont instead of dead last in the rundle.

Luckily picking [ET reverse] Vatican City over San Marino and Anne over Charlotte didn't cost me the win on MD19. Was just Bronte really credited? Seems odd with Emily in the question.
Last edited by reddpen on Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In and out of the pool four times
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

reddpen wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:01 pm Luckily picking San Marino over Vatican City ... didn't cost me the win on MD19.
That wouldn't have cost you, that would have helped you
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I felt pretty sure about Charlotte and not particularly about the rules. I suspect that a "first and last" requirement would have convinced many to go with Anne, a la that recent Anna Freud question.

I wavered but in the end I felt pretty good about the Vatican, figuring Fellini had a strong identification with Rome. Didn't remember the AMLO.
I'm smart and I want respect.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:24 pm
morbeedo wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:14 am
Volante wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:59 am
triviawayne wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:47 am
Volante wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:14 am Stupid Bronte 50/50/90...
my coin landed on its side, so I only put the last name and got credit.

I considered putting a first name, as that would be the norm in this situation, but because there is no way to be asked BMS in this game, and because it didn't say "first and last name required" as has happened in the past, I only put the last name figuring I would give the wrong first name if asked anyway.
Lookie Mr Fancypants over here knowing the rules and all! *ooOooOOo*
*mutters at self*
Mind blown! IMO this is a pointless question if the first name is not required, as Emily so obviously points to the Brontës. Lost the coin flip (Anne / Charlotte) and the match 6(5)-9(6)
totally agree, he should've required it. I was in the middle of deciding which first name to use when I realized I might get away with not using one.
Might?
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

Well I'll certainly never put a first name in again when I don't need to. It didn't cost me the win at least.

But funnily enough I was sure that Charlotte had only written one novel so I was debating between Anne and Branwell. I thought it was maybe a bit of a trick question because I was familiar with Anne's two novels, so I thought it could be Branwell. I did go with Anne in the end though.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

I LOVED Q4 yesterday. At first glance I was thinking "How the stink am I supposed to know Malaysia's gas company's name? Why is that even on here?" And then it clicked. Questions like that are why I love LL.