Friday, December 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Friday, December 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:58 pm Kristen was a delightful contestant so it was tough to see her blow what should have been a default win on a TS Final.
Kristen lost on Wednesday, to Kendra.
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

I'm surprised "Something's Coming" is considered such a deep cut, but I'm a bit of a Broadway nerd, so I'll take your collective word for it. But damn, I'll admit I ran out of time on the clue. I could hum the song, and even knew it was the musical that gave Sondheim his start, and it had Jets and Sharks, and it was based on Romeo and Juliet...but as usual, my circumlocution didn't let me get it in time. I paused to cheat and give myself a little extra time, and then I figured out why my brain was stalling...I was stuck on South Pacific, which I 100% knew was wrong. After turning 90 degrees to the right, I got it with my extra time.

I actually can count 7 other songs that I'd also consider J-worthy: Maria, Tonight, America, (Play it) Cool, I Feel Pretty, Somewhere, and Officer Krupke...although I'd concede that America and Krupke are moderately deep cuts. That's actually a lot of songs that belong in the canon. For comparison, Phantom of the Opera really only has 2 that don't give away the title: Music of the Night and perhaps Angel of Music (as it's the nickname for the Phantom.)

Has there been another game show recently that had Are We There Yet? as a question? Master Minds, Millionaire, Weakest Link? I swear that movie has been primed in my knowledge database, and I don't really think of it as a classic.

I can understand under the white hot spotlight how you'd get RBG mixed up with O'Connor, but timelines are vital to J!. Plus, I assume the time of this taping was within a month after Ginsburg passed.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:15 pm It is a question, it's just missing the question mark. From a 1989 NYT article:
As it happened, I asked that very question of the movie's director, Robert Zemeckis. He replied that it had one until the people at Walt Disney Pictures, the film's distributor, informed him that movie titles never contained punctuation.
I'm sure that came as a surprise to their rivals at Paramount, who had spent the '80s releasing Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker movies with exclamation points in their titles.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:15 pm
alietr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:50 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:48 pm People looking for differences in phraseology will be happy how one movie response was framed.
But as alluded to elsewhere, the title Who Framed Roger Rabbit is not a question. So her response was technically not in the form of a question.
It is a question, it's just missing the question mark. From a 1989 NYT article:
As it happened, I asked that very question of the movie's director, Robert Zemeckis. He replied that it had one until the people at Walt Disney Pictures, the film's distributor, informed him that movie titles never contained punctuation.
Zemeckis should have countered with this
[I'm sure there are plenty more examples, this is just the one that popped into my head]
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:09 pm Anyone here ever heard of Diana Nyad? Name rings 0 bells.
I have, but I'm probably not the best person to gauge the difficulty of clues about swimming...
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Yeah, there are plenty more examples out there. It's just a stupid thing to say (that is, to tell a director that a movie can't have punctuation in the title).
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:49 am
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:09 pm Anyone here ever heard of Diana Nyad? Name rings 0 bells.
I have, but I'm probably not the best person to gauge the difficulty of clues about swimming...
I could get "Diana Nyad is famous for this (general) activity" - ie swimming - but I wouldn't be able to pin the journey to or from Cuba. I think she was much more in the news 5 years ago, or whenever it was when she made the trip.

I had the opportunity to hear her speak, which is one reason why her name rings a bell, but I'm pretty sure I missed out on it. Looking at the time frame of when I was supposed to take my dad - Feb 2016 - I think it was when he came down with three minor calamities all at once - minor shingles followed by a minor case of Bells Palsy followed by a minor (but painful!) corneal abrasion.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Nice article on Kate. I actually noticed her pride pin: https://www.mlive.com/life/2020/12/mich ... mpion.html

====
I somehow remembered her from this game in 2013. Just another example of my Hawley-Smoot Rule.
seaborgium wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:53 pm Did anyone else notice the extra large line spacing on the COLORFUL VERBS category screen?
I noticed it too.

====

Ran British English, Quotable Women, and Colorful Verbs. Got all but Baseball in Sport's Hall of Fame.

0/5 in Fictional Places. Recognized all of them but couldn't pull any of them fast enough, which is the worst kind of 0/5.

Less frustrating was the 0/5 in Learned Something Today.

Salome dancing and John the Baptist being beheaded ring absolutely no bells for me. I've been a church organist for 17 years; how are there so many parts of the Bible that we've just never touched?!

I recalled Diana Nyad from a previous FJ! and she was just Hawley-Smoot enough for me to recall in time.

Precalled Who Framed Roger Rabbit in Movie's Title Question.

No guess on FJ! We saw West Side Story in high school choir class but I remember nothing whatsoever from it. I had no idea there was a revival.

Lach Trash: NASCAR, Diana Nyad, Dolly Parton, Are We There Yet. Also got the Sandra Day O'Connor and hydrangea DDs.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:13 pm
mas3cf wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:49 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:43 pm Appomattox should not have been accepted for where Lee surrendered.
Why not?
Because the McLean house is in the village of Appomattox Court House, not Appomattox (which is a few miles to the west).
I didn’t know there was a city of Appomattox. So his response was just plain wrong, not a shortened version of the name.

I saw West Side Story once in the 1980s. It was done by a group from a junior college near where I lived at the time.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Any wise guys answer “Blefuscu” on the Gulliver clue?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:33 am I'm surprised "Something's Coming" is considered such a deep cut, but I'm a bit of a Broadway nerd, so I'll take your collective word for it.
This FJ prompted me to look up a list of the top 100 musical theatre standards, and it wasn't in there. I found a list of several hundred and it was in that one.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Officer Krupke and the rest of the betting police are banking a ton of overtime this season.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I remember a 2013 game where she was the correct FJ response and I got it right even though I'd never heard of her.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... ardy_round

I guessed "Nayad", deliberately misspelling naiad since the clue specified a homophone. Her name's actually Nyad, but one of the contestants added the extra a, just as I did and was rule correct. So I knew I was safe. Under today's berry barry strict rules, who knows? I suppose it would have made the clue too long to note this, but not only is her last name a homophone for a water nymph, her first name is an anagram for it. That stuck with me and may have helped me remember the name.

She's showed up in a few clues since. And she previously showed up in a 1996 clue under the category NEWSMAKERS OF THE '70s. I hadn't realized just how long-held that goal was. I vaguely remember the 1978 event, but would never have recalled the name without Jeopardy! to provide and then reinforce it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got this clue from remembering the one in 2013. The FJ from 9/27/2013 was also recycled this week.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The Diana Nyad clue made me remember that there were some questions of the legitimacy of her swim after the fact. From Wikipedia:
While not directly questioning the authenticity of her story, some skeptics, including long-distance swimmers, requested the swim's GPS history, surface current, weather, and Nyad's eating and drinking data.[34][35] The swim's published GPS data was analyzed and graphed on September 8 by The New York Times.[36] After Nyad's September 10 response to questions and her publishing path data and notes from her navigator and two observers, a University of Miami oceanography professor, Tamay Ozgokmen, confirmed the navigator's assertion that favorable Gulf Stream currents explained Nyad's apparently incredible total velocity during certain portions of the swim.[37] The New York Times public editor observed on September 19 that the focus had shifted from serious questions about possibly resting aboard a boat, to more technical issues relating to whether her crews' touching her while helping with her protective suit formally rendered the swim an "assisted" swim.[38] Nyad had explained that wearing the jellyfish-protection suit was a life-and-death measure that for her superseded the previous "traditions" of the sport.[37] On September 12, 2013, Nyad said she would "wait and see" if the swim would be officially ratified.[39] As of 2018, the swim has apparently not been ratified.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Nyad#Fifth_attempt

Yes, long distance open water swimmers take this stuff seriously...
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:37 am
econgator wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:13 pm
mas3cf wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:49 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:43 pm Appomattox should not have been accepted for where Lee surrendered.
Why not?
Because the McLean house is in the village of Appomattox Court House, not Appomattox (which is a few miles to the west).
I didn’t know there was a city of Appomattox. So his response was just plain wrong, not a shortened version of the name.
I agree with you in principle, but this seems to be analogous to accepting Alice in Wonderland or The Wizard of Oz as a book title: it's wrong, but it's such a common mistake that it would be overly tricky/picky (even for J!) not to accept it. This case is arguably worse since Appomattox is some other location, so maybe I'm just going soft.

I'm a major Broadway geek (HIMYM salute), so FJ! was an instaget. It's hard for me to judge whether the average J! contestant "should" know this.

And I did notice the unusual separation in the COLORFUL VERBS category.
davey

Post by davey »

I am slightly vexed that I couldn't remember Diana Nyad, and ended up with Gertude Ederle as a famous swimmer. In addition to her swimming career, Nyad used to do commentaries on sports for NPR. She has a nice voice.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:18 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:49 am
I could get "Diana Nyad is famous for this (general) activity" - ie swimming - but I wouldn't be able to pin the journey to or from Cuba. I think she was much more in the news 5 years ago, or whenever it was when she made the trip.

I had the opportunity to hear her speak, which is one reason why her name rings a bell, but I'm pretty sure I missed out on it. Looking at the time frame of when I was supposed to take my dad - Feb 2016 - I think it was when he came down with three minor calamities all at once - minor shingles followed by a minor case of Bells Palsy followed by a minor (but painful!) corneal abrasion.
I got it right while watching the show -- I knew her to be an endurance swimmer, and remember one time wondering if Nyad was her real name or a pun based on "naiad". She was also a semi-regular on several NPR programs at one time, and I think I dimly remember her doing swimming commentary for the Olympics at least once.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:55 pm
I agree with you in principle, but this seems to be analogous to accepting Alice in Wonderland or The Wizard of Oz as a book title: it's wrong, but it's such a common mistake that it would be overly tricky/picky (even for J!) not to accept it. This case is arguably worse since Appomattox is some other location, so maybe I'm just going soft.
There seems to be a list of wrong answers the show has decided are close enough, perhaps because they want to be free to ask about them without having to neg people all the time. "Russia" for "USSR" is another, and so is "Miami" for "Miami Beach". I dug up the following question from the archive:

I'M ON A DIET, $400 This currently popular diet bears the name of a section of Miami

Bonus hint:
Spoiler
No, it doesn't!
Answer:
Spoiler
What is the South Beach Diet?
I'm smart and I want respect.
idearat
Valued Contributor

Post by idearat »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:37 am I didn’t know there was a city of Appomattox. So his response was just plain wrong, not a shortened version of the name.
There's the County of Appomattox, and the surrender was within that county, satisfying the "where". If not in a separate incorporated area within the county, the designation would be appropriate. (City or Village of... would have been incorrect) The structure where it took place was the McClean house, so that would have been correct. Appomattox Court House would really have been not correct. The battle there was named for it, but the surrender did not take place in it.
I got the bronze on Jeopardy!