Poll on Boardies Covid-19 Impact

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

How has Covid-19 affected you?

I know (or think) I have or had Covid-19.
10%
I do not think I have had Covid-19.
83%
I was employed before the pandemic hit, and am still employed.
61%
I was employed before the pandemic hit, but am now less employed.
5%
I was employed before the pandemic hit, am now unemployed, but expect to get my job back.
2%
I was employed before the pandemic hit, and am now unemployed.
2%
I was not employed or a student before the pandemic hit.
27%
I personally know someone who has passed away from Covid-19 related causes.
21%
I do not personally know someone who has passed away from Covid-19 related causes.
66%
I always wear a face covering in public.
79%
I sometimes wear a face covering in public.
16%
I never wear a face covering in public.
3%

Total votes: 149

MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Poll on Boardies Covid-19 Impact

Post by MitchO »

I also have a scenario that isn't covered on the poll: Unfortunately, I was re-org'd out of a position at the end of last year, and the lockdown has GREATLY hindered my chances at re-employment. I would say that about half the jobs I applied for, particularly from March to June, came back with "Sorry, we are in a hiring freeze until we can open". I live right in one of the early hotspots (I am one town away from Teaneck, NJ, where one of the early synagogue exposures caused an outbreak explosion), and a fair amount of jobs I would apply for would be in NYC. Even the concept of taking public transportation daily from NJ to NYC is frightening. For my social circle, my brother and my landlord were both tested positive, but fortunately both had relatively safe and easy quarantines and have fully recovered.

Since I am on ADHD/Anxiety medication and have been home even before the lock-down, it's frankly kind of difficult how much of my headache/malaise/weakness/exhaustion can be ascribed to the scenario, the medication, other physical issues, or even possibly a diagnosis. I live with my girlfriend and 17 year old son, and neither of them have shown any signs, so I tend to think that I have remained COVID-free. But yeah, that depression ... I simply cannot believe that this country and this world has gotten to the state it's in. Most days, I truly do not believe that we can ever repair the overall damage that has been done to this country. I had always lived as a person who embraces differences, and while sometimes flummoxed by other people's odd (to me) opinions, I remain their friends and am almost always up for a positive discussion of beliefs. But now, that person is gone.

I used to shake my head at people who were "unfriending" anyone who wasn't 100% on "their side"; I have been a lifelong Democrat and some of my closest friends were Reagan-era Republicans. The only way to get to an understanding is an open mind and an intelligent discussion, right? I would attempt to engage people with some of the more narrow-minded, conspiratorial posts and opinions. But damn if they didn't "win". I can't anymore. It's just too ugly. I have removed all of them on FB; my family has ostracized a couple of cousins and other relatives; I don't even try anymore. I genuinely hope and pray for some sort of major upheaval that can bring us forward and through this together, at least for my son's generation's sake.

I am, of course, disappointed that even a group like my fellow J-Boardies would still have some folks who would check that "Never wear a mask" box. I wish I could say I'm surprised.

Everyone please stay safe and well-informed.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Time to update two of my responses. Just found out a great aunt passed away from Covid-19. Her husband was in the hospital with it, but is now home (and supposedly really confused--my mom said nobody knows if he even realizes what happened to his wife yet). I've seen them maybe twice in the past 15 years, so we weren't close, but still, Covid sucks.

Wear a mask, America.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

ouachiouat wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:03 am Time to update two of my responses. Just found out a great aunt passed away from Covid-19. Her husband was in the hospital with it, but is now home (and supposedly really confused--my mom said nobody knows if he even realizes what happened to his wife yet). I've seen them maybe twice in the past 15 years, so we weren't close, but still, Covid sucks.

Wear a mask, America.
Oh, that's sad. I'm really sorry.

Thanks for the reminder to wear a mask. If anyone wants to commemorate and show respect to those we've lost, that's a good way to do it. It's a simple act that is both prudent and kind. I'd love to see the "I never wear a face covering in public" box on this poll go down to zero.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

An update on the Science: available evidence suggests that transmission of Covid from surfaces is rare to never. The dominant mode of transmission is from airborne droplets. Cloth masks cannot prevent virus from entering but can reduce viral load significantly and that is correlated with severity of the disease. So, wear masks for yourself and others. Stay outdoors and in well-ventilated areas if possible and keep social distancing.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Had to update my vote, specifically the "personally know someone who has passed away from Covid-19-related causes" part. :( It wasn't someone I was particularly close to, but I knew him well enough from church.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Woof wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:06 am An update on the Science: available evidence suggests that transmission of Covid from surfaces is rare to never. The dominant mode of transmission is from airborne droplets. Cloth masks cannot prevent virus from entering but can reduce viral load significantly and that is correlated with severity of the disease. So, wear masks for yourself and others. Stay outdoors and in well-ventilated areas if possible and keep social distancing.
The "reducing viral load" is key. Assume A and B are conversing at a three-foot distance, and A is an asymptomatic carrier. Even if masks are only 50% effective at reducing directed transmission, if both wear masks B receives only 25% of the virus particles he/she would receive if both were unmasked. That can be the difference between having a mild case B's immune system can handle, or having B's immune system overwhelmed.

I think of Pickett's Charge. If he'd sent half as many men, they wouldn't have made it past the fence. If he'd sent twice as many, the Confederates might have won the battle.

If I'm Leningen and the ants are coming, I'll take even imperfect defenses that reduce the number of invaders getting through.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
davey

Post by davey »

It would be interesting if everyone updated their responses to this poll. Mine haven't changed but I imagine some folks' have.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

No change.
Leander

Post by Leander »

No change for me either
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I still have my job and haven’t caught the virus. Haven’t had anyone else I know die from it.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I must have missed this when it was first posted. Wasn't really following the board while J! was in reruns. Just as of a week ago a college acquaintance of mine died of COVID-19. No risk factors and only 51.

Mask usage has been very good in Seattle since the beginning. You just don't see people in businesses without masks. Most people in the outdoors are wearing masks unless it's in a very uncrowded setting. I'm very glad the vaccine(s) are starting to be available. I'll get poked as soon as I possibly can.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

FYI, the American Red Cross is testing all blood donations for COVID-19 antibodies and (if positive) will use the plasma in treatment therapies. There's always a need for blood and it's a good way to check your personal antibody status. When I was sick back in March, no tests were available so I had to assume I was positive. I donated in July and October and have been positive for antibodies both times.
billiej

Post by billiej »

kerryoakie wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:23 am FYI, the American Red Cross is testing all blood donations for COVID-19 antibodies and (if positive) will use the plasma in treatment therapies. There's always a need for blood and it's a good way to check your personal antibody status. When I was sick back in March, no tests were available so I had to assume I was positive. I donated in July and October and have been positive for antibodies both times.
The same thing happened to my husband. He was really sick Feb/Mar. Assumed at the time it was the flu since he wasn't vaccinated and I was (i only had a headache and scratchy throat for a couple of days). He gives blood regularly and tested positive for antibodies in July and November. I'm thinking I may have had an extremely mild case, because it would have been hard for me to avoid it given the direct long term exposure.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

A friend from high school's father, three friends of my Mom, and my Dad's barber have all died of COVID in the past few months.
Douglas Squasoni
AlphaDummy
Valued Contributor

Post by AlphaDummy »

Had Covid - was hospitalized for four days at the end of November. Not a life-threatening situation, but still miserable enough to realize that 1) I would not wish this on my worst enemy, and 2) if someone chooses not to wear a mask, they are recklessly taking a chance on inflicting the same malady on others.

Was and am still employed - and am doubly grateful for this, as I had a cancer diagnosis in early August and am not expected to return to my full capacities as a warehouse supervisor (with all the heavy lifting this entails) until mid-spring...my employer has had my back throughout, for which I am eternally grateful.

To this point, I do not know of any personal acquaintances who have died of Covid (knock on wood), and I send my heartfelt condolences to all who have.

Always a mask - but you probably guessed that. Please, from a survivor - wear the damn mask.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Changed my vote from not had it to have it.

I have no energy and have barely eaten since Thursday. I don’t think I ate at all Sunday. My wife tested positive and got an IV treatment today. I got a test yesterday and will have results tomorrow. I get dizzy if I get up to walk around.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:04 pm Changed my vote from not had it to have it.

I have no energy and have barely eaten since Thursday. I don’t think I ate at all Sunday. My wife tested positive and got an IV treatment today. I got a test yesterday and will have results tomorrow. I get dizzy if I get up to walk around.
Hope you both recover soon!
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

econgator wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:11 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:04 pm Changed my vote from not had it to have it.

Hope you both recover soon!
Yes, wishing you both a full recovery.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thank you. This stuff is no joke.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Best wishes for a full recovery long before I return to the JBoard.