Friday, December 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Friday, December 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

idearat wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:22 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:37 am I didn’t know there was a city of Appomattox. So his response was just plain wrong, not a shortened version of the name.
There's the County of Appomattox, and the surrender was within that county, satisfying the "where". If not in a separate incorporated area within the county, the designation would be appropriate. (City or Village of... would have been incorrect) The structure where it took place was the McClean house, so that would have been correct. Appomattox Court House would really have been not correct. The battle there was named for it, but the surrender did not take place in it.
The Battle of Appomattox Court House took place in the Village of Appomattox Court House, so named because that's where the courthouse -- and Wilmer McLean's house -- originally was. It is now in the Town of Appomattox, which is, yes, located in the County of Appomattox.

The clue asked for "this Virginia village", so "Appomattox" on its own is incorrect.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If I am on the show and the answer giver says “The 1968 Democrat convention took place here”, I am ringing in and saying “What is Cook?”.
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:55 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:37 am
econgator wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:13 pm
mas3cf wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:49 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:43 pm Appomattox should not have been accepted for where Lee surrendered.
Why not?
Because the McLean house is in the village of Appomattox Court House, not Appomattox (which is a few miles to the west).
I didn’t know there was a city of Appomattox. So his response was just plain wrong, not a shortened version of the name.
I agree with you in principle, but this seems to be analogous to accepting Alice in Wonderland or The Wizard of Oz as a book title: it's wrong, but it's such a common mistake that it would be overly tricky/picky (even for J!) not to accept it. This case is arguably worse since Appomattox is some other location, so maybe I'm just going soft.

I'm a major Broadway geek (HIMYM salute), so FJ! was an instaget. It's hard for me to judge whether the average J! contestant "should" know this.

And I did notice the unusual separation in the COLORFUL VERBS category.
You and I noticed the exact same quirks. I saw on the show a few days ago the book clue that got a response of The Wizard of Oz - at the time, I thought "isn't there supposed to be a wonderful?", but I wasn't sure whether the book had the extra word, the film had it, both, or neither. It's a little bit pedantic, and probably would deserve a perfunctory BMS at best.

(Also, the clue itself wasn't quite correct - it asked for the book with Aunt Em and Dorothy. The book is part of a long series; I presume almost all of them would qualify.)

I also noticed the weird COLORFUL VERBS separation - why was that?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:32 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:55 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:37 am
econgator wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:13 pm
mas3cf wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:49 pm

Why not?
Because the McLean house is in the village of Appomattox Court House, not Appomattox (which is a few miles to the west).
I didn’t know there was a city of Appomattox. So his response was just plain wrong, not a shortened version of the name.
I agree with you in principle, but this seems to be analogous to accepting Alice in Wonderland or The Wizard of Oz as a book title: it's wrong, but it's such a common mistake that it would be overly tricky/picky (even for J!) not to accept it. This case is arguably worse since Appomattox is some other location, so maybe I'm just going soft.

I'm a major Broadway geek (HIMYM salute), so FJ! was an instaget. It's hard for me to judge whether the average J! contestant "should" know this.

And I did notice the unusual separation in the COLORFUL VERBS category.
You and I noticed the exact same quirks. I saw on the show a few days ago the book clue that got a response of The Wizard of Oz - at the time, I thought "isn't there supposed to be a wonderful?", but I wasn't sure whether the book had the extra word, the film had it, both, or neither. It's a little bit pedantic, and probably would deserve a perfunctory BMS at best.

(Also, the clue itself wasn't quite correct - it asked for the book with Aunt Em and Dorothy. The book is part of a long series; I presume almost all of them would qualify.)
There have been later printings using "Alice in Wonderland" and "The Wizard of Oz" as titles, so they do count.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:14 pm
idearat wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:22 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:37 am I didn’t know there was a city of Appomattox. So his response was just plain wrong, not a shortened version of the name.
There's the County of Appomattox, and the surrender was within that county, satisfying the "where". If not in a separate incorporated area within the county, the designation would be appropriate. (City or Village of... would have been incorrect) The structure where it took place was the McClean house, so that would have been correct. Appomattox Court House would really have been not correct. The battle there was named for it, but the surrender did not take place in it.
The Battle of Appomattox Court House took place in the Village of Appomattox Court House, so named because that's where the courthouse -- and Wilmer McLean's house -- originally was. It is now in the Town of Appomattox, which is, yes, located in the County of Appomattox.

The clue asked for "this Virginia village", so "Appomattox" on its own is incorrect.
Isn't Appomattox just short for "Appomattox Court House"? For instance, this article refers to the surrender both ways-
https://www.encyclopediavirginia.org/Su ... Appomattox
There are books with the words Appomattox and Surrender in the title, with no "Court House," as found on Google Books.
and scholarly indexes that refer to it in the shorter way-
https://www.google.com/books/edition/So ... frontcover
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed Sports Hall of Fame $600 and Movie's Title Question $1600.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Sandra Day O'Connor), Diana Nyad, Fort Worth, Dolly Parton, (Ponce de Leon), Georges Pompidou, Are We There Yet?, John Marshall, Fiddlehead Fern, (Hydrangea)
Douglas Squasoni
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:33 am
I can understand under the white hot spotlight how you'd get RBG mixed up with O'Connor, but timelines are vital to J!. Plus, I assume the time of this taping was within a month after Ginsburg passed.
The timeline required knowledge of the exact year 1981. The year before that, 1980, Ruth Bader Ginsburg was confirmed by the Senate to the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. As an aside, O'Connor never did learn the difference between judging and legislating.

FJ was an insta get for me. I recognized the song and knew about the Revival. I was expecting one of the contestants to say The Sound of Music, because the song Something Good comes from the film version.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

davey wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:59 pm I am slightly vexed that I couldn't remember Diana Nyad, and ended up with Gertude Ederle as a famous swimmer. In addition to her swimming career, Nyad used to do commentaries on sports for NPR. She has a nice voice.
I recently learned about Ederle, and as it goes, out went Diana Nyad - but I do have a vivid memory of her swollen face from all the jellyfish stings.

Broadway has been dark for so long now that I completely forgot about West Side Story - which I saw in previews - and the Spielberg film. The best I could come up with was the revival of The Music Man (starring Hugh Jackman and Sutton Foster), which never opened. The song title rang no bells.

Wicked though??

This game felt so flat to me. No real sizzle coming from any of the players. Perhaps they were all tired at the end of a long taping day.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

floridagator wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:48 pm
talkingaway wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:33 am
I can understand under the white hot spotlight how you'd get RBG mixed up with O'Connor, but timelines are vital to J!. Plus, I assume the time of this taping was within a month after Ginsburg passed.
The timeline required knowledge of the exact year 1981. The year before that, 1980, Ruth Bader Ginsburg was confirmed by the Senate to the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. As an aside, O'Connor never did learn the difference between judging and legislating.

FJ was an insta get for me. I recognized the song and knew about the Revival. I was expecting one of the contestants to say The Sound of Music, because the song Something Good comes from the film version.
But would Ginsburg's confirmation to the DC Court of Appeals be J-canon-worthy on its own? A case where too much knowledge could get you into trouble, I suppose....but my guess is that "female + SCOTUS = Ginsburg" was on the tip-of-the-brain because of Ginsburg's recent passing.

Of course, the easier way to figure out the right response (assuming you knew it was for SCOTUS) would be to know who appointed O'Connor vs Ginsburg - even knowing what party would be enough, in this case.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

morbeedo wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:16 pm
Broadway has been dark for so long now that I completely forgot about West Side Story - which I saw in previews - and the Spielberg film. The best I could come up with was the revival of The Music Man (starring Hugh Jackman and Sutton Foster), which never opened.
It hasn’t opened yet; Last Christmas I bought tickets for the January 2, 2021 Show and it is now scheduled for April 2022. We will see. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I figured it would be either "In the Heights" or "West Side Story", as they both have relatively high-profile film adaptations ready to come out, but west with West Side as it's a better-known musical.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Woppy T wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:33 am Any wise guys answer “Blefuscu” on the Gulliver clue?
[raises hand]

And then started second-guessing myself because I couldn't quite remember if Gulliver actually went there or not.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

DVR Ate Another One after it was on the DVR.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AntmanB wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:41 pm DVR Ate Another One after it was on the DVR.
A YouTube search for Nizar Abdalla might turn it up.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:14 pm Another player finished with $15 for the second time this week.

cheezguyty: Do I need to take off a sock to count the number of $15 finishing total or fingers are enough.
You don't need to count any further because before this week there were no recorded instances of a $15 final score! :o (That reminds me of how, after his fourth win, Joshua Brakhage had won as many times with a score ending in 6 as had occurred in all other Archived games.) I can't even find a case where a miss instead of a get would have resulted in $15 (same thing with $17, which is now the lowest positive unattested score).

Bonus trivia: the lowest positive multiple of one thousand to have never been achieved is $43,000.

seaborgium wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:53 pm Did anyone else notice the extra large line spacing on the COLORFUL VERBS category screen?

Yes.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

cheezguyty wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:26 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:14 pm Another player finished with $15 for the second time this week.

cheezguyty: Do I need to take off a sock to count the number of $15 finishing total or fingers are enough.
You don't need to count any further because before this week there were no recorded instances of a $15 final score! :o (That reminds me of how, after his fourth win, Joshua Brakhage had won as many times with a score ending in 6 as had occurred in all other Archived games.) I can't even find a case where a miss instead of a get would have resulted in $15 (same thing with $17, which is now the lowest positive unattested score).

Bonus trivia: the lowest positive multiple of one thousand to have never been achieved is $43,000.

seaborgium wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:53 pm Did anyone else notice the extra large line spacing on the COLORFUL VERBS category screen?

Yes.
Thanks for checking on the numbers and there is a goal for future contestants out of it: finish with the unique $17
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Jeopardy scoragami!!!
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Alex: "Just two weeks to go before Christmas" :( :( :( :(

Re: Josh Gibson, I know I'm watching this nearly a week after it aired (and it was recorded well before then), but coincidentally today is the day that MLB announced that they'd be recognizing Negro Leagues as full-fledged major leagues for historical and recordkeeping purposes

I knew Avonlea was in Atlantic Canada, but I couldn't remember which province and made a lucky guess of PEI

How many bums do you think Madison Bumgarner has garnered?

I'm kind of surprised Alex didn't attempt to imitate Julia Child's voice

Did anyone guess Mae West instead of Joan Rivers?

RBG was my initial guess too but before the clue ended I picked up on the Reagan-era date

Appomattox and Appomattox Court House are distinct places, they shouldn't have accepted that...

There goes my DD streak!

Seriously? A whole category of responses that are already questions, and you're not going to take advantage?

THANK YOU KATE I LOVE YOU!

Would "South Cackalacky" be an acceptable answer?

I have...issues...with Teach for America

Kate was the only one who realized the responses were already questions, I guess

Raise your hand if you knew oxeye daisy from Minecraft

Coryat: $34,000

J: 24R4P2W. Got DD. 5/5 on Sports, 4/5 on Fictional Places, West, Wishful Thinking, and British English ("doll" for "pacifier")

DJ: 21R8P1W. 1/2 on DDs (missed Ponce, PR). 4/5 on History, South Park, and I Learned Something.

FJ: Had to think but got it with about 10 seconds to spare

LT: NASCAR, Pompidou