FJs for the 12/7/20 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 12/7/20 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:48 pm

Symbols of strength in the Bible include behemoth & this horned creature, perhaps an extinct wild ox, which the King James Version mentions 9 times
12%
He got to propose his own sentence & joked that since he was actually a benefactor of the state, he should get free meals!
79%
A book by him says, "From the forest came the call...distinct and definite as never before--a long-drawn howl"
89%
Once a residence of rulers of Austria, this city on the Danube less than 20 miles from Vienna became a national capital in 1993
44%
Ads for the 2020 revival of this musical said, "Something's coming. Something good"; a new movie version is also coming  
37%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
1%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
BOTANY $2000: Not xylem but this related tissue conducts nutrients from the leaves to the rest of the plant
44%
WHAT'S THAT ON YOUR HEAD? $1600: "But pleasures are like poppies spread", says this Robert Burns poem, also the name of a cap
50%
QUOTABLE WOMEN $2000: After one failed Cuba-to-Florida swim, she said, "This journey has always been about reaching your own other shore"
54%
Leviathan was my incorrect response for the Monday FJ! clue.
27%
Auroch or oryx was my response for the Monday FJ! clue.
12%
There are unicorns in the Bible? That's news to me.
74%
For the Thursday FJ! clue I knew it was Slovakia, but I did not know the capital city.
10%
Budapest was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
12%
Oops, I missed the Thursday FJ! clue with a city in Austria.
4%
"Something's Coming" as a song from West Side Story was not familiar to me.
59%
Wicked was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
5%
AMERICAN ACCESSIONS $1200: The Newlands Resolution of 1898 brought these islands under formal U.S. control - I was correct with Hawaii(an).
30%
AMERICAN ACCESSIONS $1200: The Newlands Resolution of 1898 brought these islands under formal U.S. control - I negged with the Philippines.
38%
ENDS IN DOUBLE-"S" $800: Navel oranges are known for being this - I was correct with seedless.
62%
AWW INSPIRING $400: The AKC says the Cavalier King Charles this is affectionate, gentle, graceful; we'll add awww - I was correct with spaniel.
76%
AWW INSPIRING $400: The AKC says the Cavalier King Charles this is affectionate, gentle, graceful; we'll add awww - I did not recognize knowing of this breed at all.
12%

Total votes: 82

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 12/7/20 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

12/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FANTASTIC BEASTS

12/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Symbols of strength in the Bible include behemoth & this horned creature, perhaps an extinct wild ox, which the King James Version mentions 9 times

12/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE ANCIENT WORLD

12/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He got to propose his own sentence & joked that since he was actually a benefactor of the state, he should get free meals!

12/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN LIT

12/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A book by him says, "From the forest came the call...distinct and definite as never before--a long-drawn howl"

12/10 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPEAN GEOGRAPHY

12/10 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Once a residence of rulers of Austria, this city on the Danube less than 20 miles from Vienna became a national capital in 1993

12/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BROADWAY REVIVALS

12/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Ads for the 2020 revival of this musical said, "Something's coming. Something good"; a new movie version is also coming

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
a unicorn
Socrates
Jack London
Bratislava
West Side Story
The players were 5/15 (33.33%) with a 0-2-3-0-0 success pattern.

The extra clues have two correct by the players followed by a triple stumper.

BOTANY $2000: Not xylem but this related tissue conducts nutrients from the leaves to the rest of the plant

WHAT'S THAT ON YOUR HEAD? $1600: "But pleasures are like poppies spread", says this Robert Burns poem, also the name of a cap

QUOTABLE WOMEN $2000: After one failed Cuba-to-Florida swim, she said, "This journey has always been about reaching your own other shore"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
phloem
"Tam o' Shanter"
Diana Nyad

MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 12/7/20 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:) :mrgreen: :( :( :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Leviathan
Edgar Rice Burroughs in thinking Tarzan’s call
Minsk just to have something
Blank page for movie musical

Vague recollection that there are unicorns in the Bible

Negged with Philippines

Have listened a soundtrack and/or cast recording of West Side Story, but did not recognize “Something’s Coming”

Got seedless off a guess of the double S ending

Have heard of the dog but blanked on the breed as I could not swat away terrier distracting me
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:| :mrgreen: :|

Mon - Leviathan (Unicorns? Really?)

Did not know "Something's Coming", figured it solely on knowing the upcoming movie.

Philippines
Seedless
spaniel
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I didn't know that there were unicorns in the Bible, but still got the clue right anyway.

I had nothing on the Newlands clue.

Got "seedless", but Cavalier King Charles was not familiar.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :( :mrgreen:

Aurochs, which I'm not entirely convinced the judges wouldn't have looked at the clue, decided it was flawed, and given me credit for. Would have never thought of unicorns in the Bible.

I considered Wicked but thought it was still playing its original run (correct, not counting the COVID shutdown) and "new movie version" implied an earlier one. Got West Side Story entirely from "new movie version"; "Something's Coming" is unfamiliar. I could name "Maria," "Tonight," "America," "I Feel Pretty," and "Gee, Officer Krupke."

No guess on the dog or the islands. Came up with seedless after the buzzer.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:| :| :mrgreen:

Monday's FJ feels like you have to have a lot more knowledge of the subject than is usually required... or a lot less. I had enough to get it after some thought, but I still think it's not a great clue. I did consider Leviathan before settling on unicorn. Didn't think of auroch/oryx. If I had, I think I'd have been skeptical of such a word showing up in the KJV. Considered Socrates but talked myself into Brutus, who betrayed me. Et tu, buddy? Et tu? Jack London was a WECIB. Rejected Budapest as obviously wrong and ended up with Vaduz. If I'd thought of Slovakia, I'd probably have realized that was the right track. But Bratislava has been a hard capital for me to retain, so I might have blanked on it. Maybe it'll stick now. Didn't realize "Something's Coming" was such a deep cut. I used to be able to sing along to the whole movie soundtrack 39 years ago. There's enough of it still there to make this an easy FJ for me. If I'd thought of Wicked, I'd have figured it was too recent and too well-loved to have already gone away long enough that they were bringing it back.

Didn't get phloem on the show. Didn't get it just now when reminded of the clue. I expect to forget it again within 5 minutes, but maybe I'm reverse-jinxing myself by making that prediction. I hope so. Tam O'Shanter was a forehead slap. Should've been obvious. Don't know if I'd have rung in on Diana Nyad under show conditions, but that's who I said from the couch.

Sister-in-law and her family had one or more Cavalier King Charles Spaniels for a decade or two. That's where I learned about them. Designer dogs is generally not a strong suit for me. I got this one mostly off the wording since the picture they used didn't look that much like the CKC spaniels I've met. The same could be said of that Peter Frampton clue earlier in the week. He didn't look much like a spaniel either, but again I was able to get the clue off the wording. Other pictures of Frampton look much more like my sister-in-law's dogs.
davey

Post by davey »

:evil: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(
Not a fan of the Mon clue. I won't say unicorns in the Bible are news, but not something I retained. And the clue suggested a monster.
"Something's Coming" is a great song in a monumental score...
I don't know the word phloegm...I should have known Diana Nyad.
I'm not particularly interested in dog breeds, but i retained the King Charles spaniel from somewhere...Navel oranges are more within my experience... :)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Still can't believe it's unicorns. Yeah, news to me. Guessed Leviathan.
:( :mrgreen: :| Guessed Xylose, don't recall ever hearing the name Nyad.
American Accessions--took a third option and guessed the Marianas.
Navel Oranges being seedless was a WECIB to me.
Awww Inspiring--I'm a dog person, so of course I knew that one 8-)
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(

Ugh. Monday negged with leviathan, but I was pretty sure it was wrong. Budapest on Thursday, but again that was just to have something written down; confident it was wrong. “Something’s coming. Something good.” did not ring a bell, nor did new movie coming, so I took an incorrect stab with The Music Man.

But Diana Nyad was an instaget.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I got all the other extras as well. I could have guessed "spaniel" based on the dog's face in the picture, but I probably would have clammed. What made the difference was Mark having posted this week about 2015 champion Alex Maggio appearing on Master Minds—I looked up his games, and King Charles Spaniel was the FJ response in the second one. I didn't get it at the time, and I didn't get it a few days ago, but my mind was primed with "King Charles spaniel" going into Thursday's game.
Last edited by seaborgium on Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

--- :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ---

I found Tuesday's clue odd and and not too helpful. I chose Socrates as more of a joker than Jesus, but the actual sentence had nothing to do with his proposal (hemlock not constituting a meal by itself).

I could spell phloem but wouldn't have known how to pronounce it. I think I would have gone phonetic (i.e., two syllables) to be safe, and this is apparently right.

I guessed Philippines. Of course the natives still required some subduing in 1898, but "formal control" requires but a couple of signatures in the right place.

"Nyad" is one of those names, and was the actual name of her stepfather (I just looked it up). Between "Diana" and "Diane", the former goes better with classical mythology.

Hadn't heard of the particular dog breed and couldn't have picked a spaniel from a lineup.

Was just vaguely familiar with the term "deep cut" before this week.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Never heard of unicorns in the Bible

Got all the extra questions
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I work with the Bible every day, but rarely do I read the King James Version. I'd forgotten unicorns were mentioned there.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Failing to correctly process the "became a national capital in 1993" part of the clue, I made the jump from Austria to Austria-Hungary and answered Budapest.

Negged with the Philippines.
Got seedless and spaniel.
I would prefer not to.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :| :|

I got as far as "capital of Slovakia" and was stumped from there (I really need to memorize capital cities)
Monday I wrote down the right response even though I didn't think it was correct (SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING)
I've heard of West Side Story but could tell you nothing about it.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

Not a chance on Monday, wrote a mammoth just to have something. Expected a miss on Friday, but halfway through the music, I suddenly remembered hearing of a West Side Story remake either greenlit or in production. Gave me my fifth straight week of 4/5.

Got seedless, but negged with Philippines.
seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:29 pm I could have guessed "spaniel" based on the dog's face in the picture, but I probably would have clammed. What made the difference was Mark having posted this week about 2015 champion Alex Maggio appearing on Master Minds—I looked up his games, and King Charles Spaniel was the FJ response in the second one. I didn't get it at the time, and I didn't get it a few days ago, but my mind was primed with "King Charles spaniel" going into Thursday's game.
I got the Nyad and KC Spaniel clues thanks to remembering those clues in the Archive, and another one helped with Thursday's FJ. That site sure is one hell of a study tool. Thanks, Archivists!
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Auroch and Sarajevo. And Phillipines. And I proved I'm not a spaniel person.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
TriviaBug
Valued Contributor

Post by TriviaBug »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry:

Went with auroch as the final pick while thinking it was Leviathan for a majority of the time. Never would have guessed unicorns.

Got lucky with Bratislava in the sense that I revised my notes about capitals of former Yugoslav republics before the (curtailed) World Quizzing Championships last weekend (played it on Zoom) which not only made me immediately dismiss any of them but also helped me pick a point on this semi-difficult question on the World section of the WQC.

These days a national capital, what European city was struck by a devastating earthquake in 1963, killing over 1,000 people and flattening 80% of its buildings? Over 100,000 were made homeless and the outpouring of aid from countries both sides of the iron curtain to help with its reconstruction led to the place being known as “The City of International Solidarity”.
Spoiler
Skopje
No clue on Friday; after playing the game from the Archive, dusted my notes from a decade ago to find the song listed at the beginning in the "Musicals and Songs" list for West Side Story, so the miss is on my memory failing me.
My website and app - http://triviabug.com
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

Bartleby wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:46 am Failing to correctly process the "became a national capital in 1993" part of the clue, I made the jump from Austria to Austria-Hungary and answered Budapest.
Given the amount of time I spent trying to remember the capital of Kosovo, I'm not sure that was the right piece to focus on anyway. (And I'm not sure I want to know how wrong I was with that logic.)