Monday, December 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, December 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, December 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS PLACES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Opened in 1973, it includes the Joan Sutherland Theatre, named for the singer, & the Utzon Room, named for the architect

Kate Freeman: 19000-19000=0
Valerie Castelo: 20600+17401=38001 (New Champ)
Jeffrey Williams: 14600-12000=2600

Correct response:
Spoiler
the Sydney Opera House (Kate – LA Opera House) (Jeffrey – Centre Pompidou)

Daily Doubles
Jeffrey: 4200+4200
Valerie: 8000+3000
Kate: 10200+8000

Coryats
Kate: 13000
Valerie: 18400
Jeffrey: 11400

Combined: 42,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Kate: 5000
Valerie: 6000
Jeffrey: 9000
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

That FJ! question looks familiar...although 33% seems like a low get rate. I'm curious to see how it polls next week.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

3 clues not seen today to stop the 61 a game streak.

When $5000 picks first to start the DJ! round then you know the J! round went well as $20K was 2K above the board values.

My eyebrows went up when Valerie got the Elizabeth Stanton place as a TS there would not have surprised me.

Kate played DD3 at clue 27 with $1600 left on the board. Her 10200 + 8000 still left her trailing Valerie with 20600. It did not matter today while other days not going for the lead in that spot could have been very costly.

Jeffrey looked like a player when he doubled up DD1 while later in the DJ! round with DD3 still hiding he was picking top boxes to close out categories. :roll:

The FJ! category had me thinking perhaps Stonehenge or El Dorado while wondering if I should be considering landmarks or not.

The FJ! clue had me not needing help from LL87 Day 21:
What is the name of the architectural marvel, which opened in October 1973, that sits on a promontory known to its original caretakers, the Gadigal clan of the Eora Nation, as Tubowgule, or "where the knowledge waters meet"?

It was classified as ART and I got 2 for knowing while I gave my opponent 0 for getting it. It played at 45% to beat today's percentage.

Today's clue version had me done with "1973", "Joan Sutherland" or "Utzon" so with all three my pen was down before the music began.

The match had a good ending with at least Valerie getting it to preserve her lead for the big win instead of prevailing with $3199 to bring up wagering strategies.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Today is completed: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6891

Just in case anyone is a NHOI for the BLENDED WORDS $200 there is a previous hit:

7402, aired 2016-11-15 SLANGUAGE $800: This 6-letter mash-up word means that you're so in need of food you're cranky

I was kind of feeling it as I usually wait to eat lunch until after I get the J! round done, but was slowed a bit by all of the image clues (most with double links) in the first segment. Some of the media clues had me guessing where to put the second link.

Editing to add that I laughed at WORLD CAPITAL BINGO going N-B-I-G-O to trigger someone's OCD and then the players not taking it order to mix it up more.

Watching too much TV, I can't recall which show it was last week, but there was a Bingo scene and the caller used the stalest puns ever with the B4 (before) and B9 (benign) lines. Funny because it was soooo corny and old :lol:
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $39,400 (43R, 2W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Foolishly coinflipped in Hudson vs. East River, that never works out well for me. Did poorly in Blended Words and The Angels Did Say. Balaam was unfamiliar to me, but appears several times in the Archive, so I have a new flashcard!

Very surprised FJ was only a single get. Could have gotten it if the clue were just one word: "Utzon"
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:24 pm Today is completed: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6891

Just in case anyone is a NHOI for the BLENDED WORDS $200 there is a previous hit:

7402, aired 2016-11-15 SLANGUAGE $800: This 6-letter mash-up word means that you're so in need of food you're cranky

I was kind of feeling it as I usually wait to eat lunch until after I get the J! round done, but was slowed a bit by all of the image clues (most with double links) in the first segment. Some of the media clues had me guessing where to put the second link.

Editing to add that I laughed at WORLD CAPITAL BINGO going N-B-I-G-O to trigger someone's OCD and then the players not taking it order to mix it up more.

Watching too much TV, I can't recall which show it was last week, but there was a Bingo scene and the caller used the stalest puns ever with the B4 (before) and B9 (benign) lines. Funny because it was soooo corny and old :lol:
Was it Better Call Saul?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: World Caps Bingo, gramm"or", Angels Said. :) Not happy that Angels didn't get finished :x
Daily Doubles: :D :D :D
trash: orphan, The Hustler, Balaam. Relatively clean boards today.
FJ: No chance, stumbling around NYC. :(
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:35 pm Foolishly coinflipped in Hudson vs. East River, that never works out well for me.
Here's an easy way to remember when given a road name. The one that goes along the Hudson River? The Henry Hudson Parkway. :)

FJ should be an instaget for any LL members.
Golf

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:49 pm The match had a good ending with at least Valerie getting it to preserve her lead for the big win instead of prevailing with $3199 to bring up wagering strategies.
Does that mean we can’t bring up today’s wagering strategies? I could use a good laugh.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

It looks like it's being preempted in the entire Eastern Time Zone
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:47 pm It looks like it's being preempted in the entire Eastern Time Zone
Nope! Only for those unfortunate enough to not get it at 7PM.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

We get Hweel at 7.

Final was instant get for me. Joan Sutherland is an Australian opera singer so WECIB. The architect's name was one more tease out metric. And I also knew that it opened in 1973.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The year gave it to me in LL. I don’t know if I would have figured it out in time without the LL question but I will take the gift.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

For non—LLamas, here is the question from last week.
Spoiler
What is the name of the architectural marvel, which opened in October 1973, that sits on a promontory known to its original caretakers, the Gadigal clan of the Eora Nation, as Tubowgule, or "where the knowledge waters meet"?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I got preempted at 7:30 in Boston, right up to the last DD, but thanks to our local spheniscidae, I caught up. Whiffed on FJ!, and of course in retrospect it seems obvious. Probably an English-speaking place, given the singer's name. Architecture and music. If I'd gone past the Americas and Great Britain, I might have gotten there, but I went with Lincoln Center.

Being from Boston, I love our neighbo(u)rs up north in Halifax - in return for assisting the city during the explosion mentioned in the clue, Halifax sends a Christmas tree every year. Doesn't hurt that they also sent us their native son Brad Marchand, part of the Boston Bruins forward line that was deemed the best line in hockey last year by many.

More circumlocution in my old(?) age. Billie Jean King came up, and all I could think of is "Elton John wrote Philadelphia Freedom for her. Battle of the sexes."

My proudest moment in my first-grade religion class was when my teacher asked if anyone knew what a centurion was, and I earnestly replied "half-man, half-horse". Needless to say, I got the clue right some *mumbles number* years later.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Orphan Preposition, Academie Français, The Hustler, Balaam
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

To me this is a model FJ. If you don't know Utzon (I didn't) there's still a good chance you can put it together. Joan Sutherland sings opera. Add that to famous architecture from not too long ago and you're in. Or just singer plus famous architecture plus 1973 might be enough.

I might remember Utzon going forward. He's just one letter off from Gutzon Borglum, and I've finally got that guy in my memory banks.

It's a good thing for Jeffrey that Valerie got this one right. If he'd lost due to that wager I think his mom might've stopped taking his calls. :D
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Wow, anyone could've won.

8/10
It's the end of the journey that counts.