The correct response, What is No Jeopardy?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Charming
Valued Contributor

The correct response, What is No Jeopardy?

Post by Charming »

We are hostage to the Dish vs Nexstar battle. We turned on the television last night to see a pompous person explaining why Nexstar is awful and that is why no Jeopardy, previously we were entertained by someone explaining that we are being held captive by Dish......

All I know is we can't get the morning national news, we won't be able to get Sunday Morning and worst of all, no Jeopardy!

What is the work around? I heard YouTube TV is an option, but when I looked up my zipcode the local CBS affiliate comes in opaque. Is it there is it not? Who else is being held hostage?

Edited to be in the correct format.
Last edited by Charming on Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: The correct answer is, No Jeopardy!

Post by Bamaman »

I went several weeks once because of a dispute between the channel and my carrier.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The correct response, What is No Jeopardy?

Post by jeff6286 »

Similarly hostage in Indianapolis with a separate dispute, Tegna stations have been pulled from DirecTV and AT&T Uverse. I hooked up the antenna and for the time being have to watch Jeopardy live at 7:30 if I want to watch it. If I didn't have an antenna I've found that I can stream my local NBC station on the NBC app, after logging in with my cable provider. Even though my provider isn't currently offering NBC, it still works, for some reason. This may or may not be an option for you depending on which network your affiliate is associated with.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

These BS disputes between cable companies and content providers that have become commonplace are one of many reasons why I use an antenna plus a handful of streaming services.

Pretty dumb tactic on both sides: make your customers hate both of you.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:08 pm These BS disputes between cable companies and content providers that have become commonplace are one of many reasons why I use an antenna plus a handful of streaming services.
Same here. Of course that doesn't exempt us from the disruptive crawl at the bottom of the screen wherein the local station tattles on the cable company and asks for our help in bullying them until they agree to a higher price.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I've been using YouTube TV for a few months and it's been working great for me. It basically gives me the same channels that cable tv would give me. It's about the same price as cable but it gives me a free DVR and a much better user interface. I can watch pretty much any movie or show that's scheduled by any network. I think it's the same content as cable OnDemand combined with a DVR but I think it works a lot better. It also provides a family plan so you can share with 6 people/devices. I haven't used my other devices yet so I could share if I took the time to figure out how I want to do that.

My local affiliate is offered, I don't know why yours would be opaque. It seems like you should be able to get CBS/NBC/ABC/FOX no matter what your zip code is. I think they still give free trial memberships so you should try it out for a week. I would be a bit surprised if you weren't able to get Jeopardy! with YouTube TV. If you can get it with cable it should be the same thing.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Someone has been posting them on YouTube every day all season. The quality of the videos isn’t the best but it is better than nothing.
Joepardy
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Joepardy »

I use Hulu live to stream live tv. Or an even simpler option is to get a digital tv antenna for something like $20-$80. The major networks, PBS, and a few others all broadcast for free "over-the-air"
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I think $5.99/month is a fine price to pay for Jeopardy, plus I get to watch 60 Minutes...CBS all access.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Joepardy wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:59 am I use Hulu live to stream live tv. Or an even simpler option is to get a digital tv antenna for something like $20-$80. The major networks, PBS, and a few others all broadcast for free "over-the-air"
Hulu wants $55/mo. to stream live TV. :shock: They offer "60+ Top Channels" with apparently no way to just get your local 6 or so for something modest like $15. Unless that option is hidden. Cable companies often have a po-boy option that you have to call up and ask about.

My digital TV antenna set me back somewhere between $200 and $300 once I paid for the installation. I don't recall what the antenna itself cost. It's definitely a modest enough outlay that pays for itself quickly. I'm not handy and had to have some cable run from the attic. It seems to me that back in the day attics came with a place to plug your antenna in and then there was an antenna outlet or two in the house--say one in the living room, one in the master bedroom, and maybe one in the basement--so that even a non-handy person like me could manage. This house was built in the '70s but it either didn't have that amenity or something went wrong with the original stuff or I got ripped off by an unscrupulous antenna installer.

I've never lived anywhere that got reception from an antenna that just sits on top of the TV or hangs up on the wall behind it. Maybe I'll live on a hill some day.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:34 pm
Joepardy wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:59 am I use Hulu live to stream live tv. Or an even simpler option is to get a digital tv antenna for something like $20-$80. The major networks, PBS, and a few others all broadcast for free "over-the-air"
Hulu wants $55/mo. to stream live TV. :shock: They offer "60+ Top Channels" with apparently no way to just get your local 6 or so for something modest like $15. Unless that option is hidden. Cable companies often have a po-boy option that you have to call up and ask about.

My digital TV antenna set me back somewhere between $200 and $300 once I paid for the installation. I don't recall what the antenna itself cost. It's definitely a modest enough outlay that pays for itself quickly. I'm not handy and had to have some cable run from the attic. It seems to me that back in the day attics came with a place to plug your antenna in and then there was an antenna outlet or two in the house--say one in the living room, one in the master bedroom, and maybe one in the basement--so that even a non-handy person like me could manage. This house was built in the '70s but it either didn't have that amenity or something went wrong with the original stuff or I got ripped off by an unscrupulous antenna installer.

I've never lived anywhere that got reception from an antenna that just sits on top of the TV or hangs up on the wall behind it. Maybe I'll live on a hill some day.
Likely that coax with wall ports, if your place has it, was too old to handle the bandwidth of digital tv.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:09 pm My local affiliate is offered, I don't know why yours would be opaque. It seems like you should be able to get CBS/NBC/ABC/FOX no matter what your zip code is.
In order to carry local network affiliates, they have to reach agreements with those affiliates or their parent corporations. A handful of affiliate stations (mostly LA and NYC and maybe a couple of other major cities) are actually owned by the networks themselves and it's fairly straightforward to work out in these cases, but for non-network-owned affiliates (the vast majority) there's such a patchwork that there's a good chance they only have agreements with some of your local affiliates (because they're owned by a parent company your streaming service already has an agreement with) but not others (because they're owned by someone the streaming service doesn't have an agreement with, or they're independently-owned and the service just doesn't feel it's worth the trouble).
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

On Wednesday I lost my access to Jeopardy! due to a dispute with Hulu + Live TV and Sinclair-owned CBS stations. I will be on the lookout for other ways to get access in case this doesn't get resolves, but this is a huge disappointment.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

eta- Google has gifted me with uninvited links:
https://tvanswerman.com/2020/12/18/dish ... an-update/
looks like it will be a long haul :(

I posted a similar thread about Nexstar the day after this one because I was behind on the threads and didn't recognize the subject as being related :oops:.

Twelve days later, Operation Warp Speed: _(spoilered because it doesn't really address Charming's local situation):
Spoiler
1) The rabbit ears work fine, but appointment TV means no TV for me. TFB has gotta roam.
2) I called the local station to express support and switch to whomever they wanted. They incorrectly informed me that "all of them" are pirates, more or less.
3) I called my rural internet/cable provider and learned they pay the contract and have all the locals. This was installed last week and it is turn of the century DVR and user unfriendly. Ugh. That's coming out :( .
I also confirmed two of my HDMI jacks are toast so I can't have cable and DISH at the same time.
4) Today a DirecTV installer will be here.
5) Today a 77" Sony TV will arrive to replace my 65" Samsung (with 4 HDMI jacks, just in case ;)).

At the conjunction later today I will have two TV's and four feeds. Is that overkill :lol: ?
(this isn't really just conspicuous consumption, I have been waiting on 4K to come down from early adopter status and also been fed up with Dish a while, our ABC channel has been out for 2 years, but I didn't care because, no football or J! on it).
In my thread, trainman mentioned a local channel connector. I don't know if it would integrate with the DISH interface, but they offer "free" antennae to their jilted customers.

I did see a DVR at Best Buy for about 150 bucks that is meant for over the air (OTA) use. I could have gone that route with my broken TV if it was USB or coax input, but I didn't look it up. After my annoyance with the Cable TV primitive interface, I'm sure I wouldn't have liked it. I've had the Cable hookup for 7 episode days and successfully captured 3 of the shows. Some of it learning curve, some of it built in sabotage.

After my DirecTV passes the approval cycle, I will be terminating DISH, and soon after, my brand new cable hookup.

Good luck to everyone in finding a bridge. I chose a side (the locals, which is actually the side of big conglomerates) and it might not be the right one. I feel like it is kind of like the NFL or MLB owners and players - they both are unsympathetic characters to average joes.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

You might need either a Tegna dish or a Tenga cup
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

I cant watch Price or Wheel because of the Tegna Dispute. it sound like it may end as early as a few hours from now though.
alamble

Post by alamble »

AntmanB wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:41 am I cant watch Price or Wheel because of the Tegna Dispute. it sound like it may end as early as a few hours from now though.
Can confirm, TEGNA stations are back on the air.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

yep, watching saints/Chiefs Right now, yay. :)
Charming
Valued Contributor

Post by Charming »

Santa came to Dish households!

Turned on the set Christmas day and CBS Morning show was on! When I checked emails later in the day Dish had sent out an email announcement at 12:30 am.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. We will be checking out many of them for our motorhome because we have had 0 luck in getting out portable satellite to work.