Thursday, December 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, December 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, December 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PLAY CHARACTERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This title character says, "Who find my visage’s center ornament a thing to jest at–it is my wont…to let him taste my steel"

Brayden Smith: 36400-8600=27800 (3x = $93,800)
Pamela Lee: 2200-2195=5
Teja Chemudupati: 7000-2500=4500

Correct response:
Spoiler
Cyrano de Bergerac (Brayden – the Man of La Mancha) (Pamela – Zorro) (Teja – Laertes)

Daily Doubles
Brayden: 600+1000
Brayden: 13000+3000
Brayden: 24400+4400

Coryats
Brayden: 31,400
Pamela: 2200
Teja: 7000

Combined: 40,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Brayden: 9000
Pamela: 200
Teja: 2600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

STREAMING SERVICE was geography water stuff and not viewing options. It was not a pleasant surprise for me while just the opposite for many others even though I still got 4 right.

The Victory movie was a trip down memory lane of friends and I liking that movie enough to go see it a second time in the theater.

Young people can't handle a PRIME match with the cleaning product? :lol: Watch enough TV ads and you learn about that kind of stuff as well as the last stop for certain bugs.

Home court advantage for me on the columnist stumper and I'll have to poll that one.

The FJ! category had me make a note of "Not Shakespeare" and from there I expected a 20th century work by O'Neill or Williams if not J! favorites Our Town or Pygmalion.

When I saw the clue I could sense my precall game was off. The fancy phraseology of the quote was beyond my skills to decode and I was left to brainstorm plays with famous title characters. That got me nowhere and I was left with a blank page.

After time was up and Alex gave the visual hint it was an, "Oh, of course" moment. A an exact year or even decade would have helped and I don't feel it would have made it a complete giveaway. Or have Steve Martin deliver the clue? It's not like I'm unfamiliar with the work, since it indirectly ties into an episode of The Brady Bunch.

0/3 on the show including Brayden who was 11/11 on wagering clues up to that point has me thinking the clue, while fair for regular play, could just as easily been appropriate for the semis of the next ToC.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I had to think for a moment exactly what a "visage" was, but once I had that, the "center ornament" fell into place.

I hope just "Cyrano" would have been accepted, because even now I'm having trouble with... Bergerac? I hope that's right.
TriviaBug
Valued Contributor

Post by TriviaBug »

Congrats to Brayden, he looks good (touch wood).

The FJ would have played much better if the category name itself eliminated English plays. I can see people spending a lot time thinking of Shakespearean characters with an unusual face/nose/mouth given the language in the clue.
My website and app - http://triviabug.com
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

C'est fini: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6894

For the playground equipment image, picture a climbing structure with slide, ladders and a bridge. The other images don't really matter for solving the clue.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $48,400 (54R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :(

Solid game spoiled by shooting a brick on FJ with Dorian Gray. Paying some attention to the category would have helped. :?

Missed the top 3 in the movie category, only 3 misses elsewhere. NHO Night Vale. Oopsie with New York World for NY Post.

Knock on wood, it looks like it's going to take a good competitor playing their A game to knock Brayden out. Very impressed with him so far.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Streaming Service, Prime, 1800s America :)
Daily Doubles: :D :D :D
As a boardgamegeek who has played many a game of 1830, no way I was missing that DD. 8-)
matched Brayden w/The Crying of Lot 49. :(
trash: things w/wheels, Victoria Falls, Quebec, roach motel, 409, herbicide, San Francisco
FJ: sussed out what was meant by visage's center, easy to get to Cyrano de Bergerac. :mrgreen:
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

TriviaBug wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:20 pm The FJ would have played much better if the category name itself eliminated English plays. I can see people spending a lot time thinking of Shakespearean characters with an unusual face/nose/mouth given the language in the clue.
I agree that that is a good idea for any quote-dependent clue.

Congrats to the writers for recognizing that "jungle gym" is alliterative, as "Wilbur Wright" (a few weeks ago) is not.

Quite surprised to learn "adrenaline" was a trademark. "Herbicide" too.

I feel I should say least one more thing, so...I thought "# of cars in a suit" was overvalued compared to "grease-cutting 'Formula'"
I'm smart and I want respect.
Leander

Post by Leander »

This FJ is another opportunity to wonder if certain facts known to “older” people might be more obscure to the younger generation. Doubt that Cyrano is as well known as it used to be.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:59 pm I had to think for a moment exactly what a "visage" was, but once I had that, the "center ornament" fell into place.

I hope just "Cyrano" would have been accepted, because even now I'm having trouble with... Bergerac? I hope that's right.
Yeah, took me about 5 seconds to translate it, but once I did, it was obvious.

Cyrano on its own should be fine.
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:51 pm Home court advantage for me on the columnist stumper and I'll have to poll that one.
To me, X "by-the-Bay" = San Francisco.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Last Thursday, my first name was a correct response. Today, my last name was. I wonder if anyone else here can claim that?

I was 24/30 in J!, but Common Bonds was my only run. 21/30 in DJ! with no runs. The result? A new record Coryat of $36,000.

Can't say I've heard of "herbicide" before.

YES! Finally a Welcome to Night Vale clue! Poll request on that one.

Steel? Visage? Center ornament? These hints are leading me absolutely nowhere. Even the "nose" hint after the fact wasn't enough for the gears to turn since I thought Cyrano de Bergerac was a book, not a play.

Lach Trash: "things with wheels", Victoria Falls, roach motel, Formula 409, Night Vale, Gravity's Rainbow
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:38 pm Last Thursday, my first name was a correct response. Today, my last name was. I wonder if anyone else here can claim that?

I was 24/30 in J!, but Common Bonds was my only run. 21/30 in DJ! with no runs. The result? A new record Coryat of $36,000.

Can't say I've heard of "herbicide" before.

YES! Finally a Welcome to Night Vale clue! Poll request on that one.

Steel? Visage? Center ornament? These hints are leading me absolutely nowhere. Even the "nose" hint after the fact wasn't enough for the gears to turn since I thought Cyrano de Bergerac was a book, not a play.

Lach Trash: "things with wheels", Victoria Falls, roach motel, Formula 409, Night Vale, Gravity's Rainbow
Not last Thursday and today, but over the years of J! there are many choices for Mark as a correct response. For Barrett I don't even need Elizabeth Barrett Browning as Rona Barrett & Syd Barrett work as well.

Ken for Barbie's beau and Jennings for (Peter to pick one) is an easy one.

Austin (Texas) & (Ginger) Rogers.

I'll stop and let others play.

Poll request seen, not that I'll be checking it, as it's a NHOI for me.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Instaget FJ once Alex pointed his nose.

Flubbed on 409 and said 401. At least 401 is prime.

Can’t say I have ever heard that $2,000 tude word. Also didn’t know herbicide was a trademark.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Leander wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:31 pm This FJ is another opportunity to wonder if certain facts known to “older” people might be more obscure to the younger generation. Doubt that Cyrano is as well known as it used to be.
I think you're probably right on this. I think I'm a year or two younger than Brayden; got this FJ, but only knew it through J! watching, other trivia, etc. I seem to recall a Boy Meets World episode mentioning Cyrano as well, I think? Have not read the play myself.

Speaking of Brayden, nothing to add here other than oh my gracious this is impressive. Hope he can at least win tomorrow to lock up his ToC berth, it's well deserved.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:12 pm Flubbed on 409 and said 401. At least 401 is prime.

Can’t say I have ever heard that $2,000 tude word. Also didn’t know herbicide was a trademark.
Also said 401 instead of 409. Not only did I not know herbicide was a trademark, I didn't realize adrenaline was too, so I clammed even though I knew it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

thenextofken wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:21 pm
Bamaman wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:12 pm Flubbed on 409 and said 401. At least 401 is prime.

Also said 401 instead of 409. Not only did I not know herbicide was a trademark, I didn't realize adrenaline was too, so I clammed even though I knew it.
I “knew” herbicide but clammed because I thought it was more of a scientific term. Andrenaline sounds like a technical term as well.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:48 pm
Not last Thursday and today, but over the years of J! there are many choices for Mark as a correct response. For Barrett I don't even need Elizabeth Barrett Browning as Rona Barrett & Syd Barrett work as well.

Ken for Barbie's beau and Jennings for (Peter to pick one) is an easy one.

Austin (Texas) & (Ginger) Rogers.

I'll stop and let others play.
Julia (Child) & (Phil) Collins
Matt (Damon) & (Andrew) Jackson
David (Copperfield) & (John) Madden
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:48 pm Austin (Texas) & (Ginger) Rogers.
Show #7286 had a clue about Austin (Texas) immediately following a clue about (Buck) Rogers.

That game was the one where Buzzy Cohen (who beat Austin in the ToC) dethroned Andrew Pau (who lost to Austin in the ToC)! :o