Friday, December 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, December 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, December 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INNOVATIONS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This company takes credit for inventing modern gift wrap, dating to its sale of fancy decorated envelope linings at Christmas in 1917

Brayden Smith: 16200-12201=3999 (4x = $97,799)
Amanda Barkley-Levenson: 14200-11000=3200
Devon Cromwell: 1200+0=1200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Hallmark (Brayden – Western Union) (Amanda – 3M)

Daily Doubles
Brayden: 1000+1000
Amanda: 6400+3000
Brayden: 16400-5000

Coryats
Brayden: 21000
Amanda: 12000
Devon: 1200

Combined: 34,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Brayden:7600
Amanda: 1600
Devon: 2400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The stumpers in YACHT ROCK will go right to the heart of many viewers to feel a little older today. For anyone will less than a run of the category I will endorse watching The Top 10 Revealed on AXS TV. It's a countdown show of music categories with a host and various personalities with connections to the music world.

Alex gave up Brayden's age, 24.

Alex still could bring it to close a chat portion as Devon imitated Kermit the Frog and Alex complimented him on his Bogart.

Not this time, CCer. THE 4-LETTER FILMS category wanted an Ashton Kutcher film about an Apple guy. Jaws? :lol:

The FJ! category had me thinking old with Gutenberg and Eli Whitney. Next I thought it could be Fulton or anyone else from "Mother Necessity". Nope, 20th century.

The clue had me trying to picture what was described and I imagined a fancy envelope with a foil lining. Reynolds went on my paper. Wrap made me think of Saran although I did not feel the need for a switch. In trying to keep the clue simple I edited the wording to fancy envelope and got the inspiration to make the correct switch with a few seconds to spare. [Wipes brow] It's an at-home solve while I cannot guarantee it's a stage/lights solve.

Amanda had a possible 28400. Brayden needed to bet 12201 to cover it and that is exactly what he did. The total after the miss? The easy to calculate 3999. Amanda missed as well and finished with 3200. Brayden says thank you very much while a bunch of champs waiting for the ToC will give Amanda coal in her stocking.

Some of Brayden's ongoing streaks were broken today as Amanda played a DD, Brayden missed a DD, and Brayden did not have a lock. What continues? The most import one at winning four in a row.

cheezguyty: The list must be short for entering a game with $90-something-thousand in winnings, winning the game and still shy of the magic $100,000 total?

Two week of games from the vault ranging from 2004 to 2017. Brayden will be back for the last week of Alex Trebek new episodes on January 4, 2021.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

2020 is complete: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6895

There is enough Lach Trash for a legitimate 4th podium victory or the illegitimate version when you only need to have half of the winning player's final score plus solving the FJ! clue. I'll cash in my $2400 from YACHT ROCK for that one while way short of 8100 for the true victory.
polaris
Contributor

Post by polaris »

WaGeRiNG thEorY iSn'T iMpOrTaNt
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

polaris wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:26 pm WaGeRiNG thEorY iSn'T iMpOrTaNt
Amanda's name on Reddit? IKnowMyWagerSucked (Yes, really, it's official.)
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $42,600 (50R, 0W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

44/45 on DDs the last three weeks. (Damn you, Richard Mather!!)

Held fire on STATES $1000 because it felt like negbait with three names each pointing to different states. Glad I did, I probably would have guessed Arizona if forced.

I am beside myself that FJ was only a single get. WECIB? I entertained the thought of Tiffany's for a few seconds, but nothing in the clue pointed in that direction.

Brayden survives, but shows that he is in fact human. Looking forward to seeing his next appearance, but with very mixed emotions going into Alex's last week. :cry:
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Yacht Rock (easy 2400 for the taking), Money Makes the World Go 'Round :)
Daily Doubles: :D :D :D
had sin tax for excise tax. :?:
Guessed Dragon Empress for Dowager Empress. :(
trash: Foreigner, Doobie Bros, Colorado (home state advantage), Christopher Cross, Boxer Protocol, diesel
FJ: It was a WECIB to me. :mrgreen:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

For some reason I had a feeling Amanda would hand Brayden a win via a bad wager. Maybe she fell asleep watching Keith’s videos.

I didn’t know Hallmark had anything to do with gift wrap but the bit about envelopes gave it to me.

With an $800 lead and three $400 clues left I (and Devon) had hopes for a tie.

RBG died September 18. Quick response to put together a category for her.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

So I guess the silver lining for Amanda is that the only reason she was in second place was that she wimped out on her DD wager. She should have been in first place going into FJ which means she'd lose on a double miss to Brayden who, I'm almost positive, knows how to wager from second. So this ending was pretty much fated. She just took a different path to get there. Dang, that sucks.

I waffled between 3M and Current for FJ. Went with 3M. This was a definite IITOTRRIHSWECIB.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:39 pm
I waffled between 3M and Current for FJ. Went with 3M. This was a definite IITOTRRIHSWECIB.
I Informed Two or Three Road Runners It's Hallmark, So What Else Could It Be?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:56 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:39 pm
I Informed Two or Three Road Runners It's Hallmark, So What Else Could It Be?
What, you figure all us flightless types are pals? Lat time I talked to a road runner was when ACME left a package on my front porch that was supposed to go somewhere else.

But you got the last five words right, so... partial credit.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Surprised they didn't place a "Gloria" cat to the left of "In excelsis deo". I'm wondering though if it's written up correctly in the archive? It's not In "excelsis deo'? I ask because this way seems more logical and because the letter N actually does not appear in any answers.

Of the bottom-row clue on that topic ('term for a very old manuscript volume of the scriptures'), I think dropping the "the" or adding an adjective would have been a nice acknowledgement of the existence of other religious scriptures. To me, "Codex" will always mean the 1980 Preakness champ.

I was going to say something here about Shrek in relation to ogres but changed my mind. I will share this bit from Wikipedia: 'The name "Shrek" is the romanization of the Yiddish word שרעק, corresponding to German Schreck and meaning "fear" or "fright".' It seems to be unrelated to the English word "shriek".

I strained several muscles jerking my thumb away from that "Mesa, Cheyenne, Pueblo" clue.

I ran "yacht rock" despite never having been on a yacht.

Speaking of turtles and sex, I remember, some years back, typing "turtles happy together" in the youtube search box and raising an eyebrow at the auto-completion "turtles having sex". That window seems to have closed so that you now need to type out the full phrase.

It's been said.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:02 pm
What, you figure all us flightless types are pals? Lat time I talked to a road runner was when ACME left a package on my front porch that was supposed to go somewhere else.

"If I'd thought of the right response I'd have said".
I'm smart and I want respect.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Lefty wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:09 pm

I'm pretty sure that's 100% correct. I didn't actually write down what I was thinking at the time, so I can't be positive. This is one of those clues where I'd be interested to hear from any poor sap who actually considered Hallmark and talked themself out of it. There are always one or two. But yeah, the major divide has to be between people who thought of Hallmark and got it right vs people who didn't and of course got it wrong.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:17 pm
Lefty wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:09 pm

I'm pretty sure that's 100% correct. I didn't actually write down what I was thinking at the time, so I can't be positive. This is one of those clues where I'd be interested to hear from any poor sap who actually considered Hallmark and talked themself out of it. There are always one or two. But yeah, the major divide has to be between people who thought of Hallmark and got it right vs people who didn't and of course got it wrong.
Take a peek at today's FJ thread on Reddit. Turns out none other than our defending champ Brayden talked himself out of it!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:25 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:17 pm This is one of those clues where I'd be interested to hear from any poor sap who actually considered Hallmark and talked themself out of it. There are always one or two. But yeah, the major divide has to be between people who thought of Hallmark and got it right vs people who didn't and of course got it wrong.
Take a peek at today's FJ thread on Reddit. Turns out none other than our defending champ Brayden talked himself out of it!
Tell Brayden to get over here where the cool kids are.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:28 pm
mas3cf wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:25 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:17 pm This is one of those clues where I'd be interested to hear from any poor sap who actually considered Hallmark and talked themself out of it. There are always one or two. But yeah, the major divide has to be between people who thought of Hallmark and got it right vs people who didn't and of course got it wrong.
Tell Brayden to get over here where the cool kids are.
In order to do that, I'd have to set up a Reddit account.