The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by ParrotRob »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:32 am States by County for $200 was vastly undervalued. Kern, Imperial, and Lassen don't sound like they belong to any particular state.
Lassen should've been an insta-get for California.
--
Drowning in the pool
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

ParrotRob wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:57 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:32 am States by County for $200 was vastly undervalued. Kern, Imperial, and Lassen don't sound like they belong to any particular state.
I don't see how. It's an extremely remote county with no major cities or landmarks.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Lassen Peak, a.k.a. Mount Lassen -- which is in California -- is one of only two volcanoes to erupt in the "lower 48" United States during the 20th century.

If they really wanted to get a stand-and-stare from their Southern California contestants, they could have used a list like Glenn, Amador, Tehama.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I'm a SoCal native who's done time in L.A., Orange, and San Diego Counties. Lassen doesn't ring a bell at all for me and Kern only a very faint one after the reveal. Imperial was the only one of the three I kind of knew, but not enough to pull the trigger and guess. This was not a top row clue in my estimation. Not a second row clue either. You've got to at least throw in Ventura or San Luis Obispo to make it second row, and something even more obvious to move it to the top.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

The state for Lassen Volcanic National Park was a bottom row clue in this game. Triple stumper.
QBall
Valued Contributor

Post by QBall »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:20 am
The state for Lassen Volcanic National Park was a bottom row clue in this game. Triple stumper.
In general, I think the difficulty of top-row boxes has been all over the place this season, so don’t get too caught up if you or the contestants don’t know it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:32 am NHO "Dissent collar". That was a very weird clue.
RBG always (as far as I can tell) wore a lacy collar with her judge's robes. It's not that a "dissent collar" is really a thing; it's just that collars were a thing for her and, I guess, she had specific ones that she wore for dissents. I knew what the clue was going for, but I clammed because I didn't think of them as collars and didn't know what to call them.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:32 am Moving for $400 could have been anything. How did you get books out of that clue?
Spoken like someone who's never had to move a box of books. They're dense, and efficient space-fillers to boot (I mean, in a way besides density, as they're generally flat and rectangular), and many people have enough to fill a few boxes, so it's really easy to bite off more than you can chew.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:32 am Literature for $1200 was MASSIVELY ENORMOUS NEGBAIT for Verne. And of course I bit on it like I always do.
I got it because of the picture—Dumas was of mixed race (his paternal grandmother was enslaved and brought to Haiti from Africa), and you can see it in his awesome hair. If you don't know what Dumas or Verne looked like, the 1870 death in the clue ought to rule out Verne; he lived into the twentieth century, and Around the World in Eighty Days was published in 1872.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I guessed robe instead of collar.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:35 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:32 am NHO "Dissent collar". That was a very weird clue.
RBG always (as far as I can tell) wore a lacy collar with her judge's robes. It's not that a "dissent collar" is really a thing; it's just that collars were a thing for her and, I guess, she had specific ones that she wore for dissents. I knew what the clue was going for, but I clammed because I didn't think of them as collars and didn't know what to call them.
Her collars were famous enough that even the right-wing satire site The Babylon Bee made reference to them:
https://babylonbee.com/news/nfl-to-ador ... -honor-rbg
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:16 am I'm a SoCal native who's done time in L.A., Orange, and San Diego Counties. Lassen doesn't ring a bell at all for me and Kern only a very faint one after the reveal. Imperial was the only one of the three I kind of knew, but not enough to pull the trigger and guess. This was not a top row clue in my estimation. Not a second row clue either. You've got to at least throw in Ventura or San Luis Obispo to make it second row, and something even more obvious to move it to the top.
I stand by my assertion that anyone with a passing knowledge of North American/US geography SHOULD be well aware of Mount Lassen and make the connection to California.
--
Drowning in the pool
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

ParrotRob wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:24 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:16 am I'm a SoCal native who's done time in L.A., Orange, and San Diego Counties. Lassen doesn't ring a bell at all for me and Kern only a very faint one after the reveal. Imperial was the only one of the three I kind of knew, but not enough to pull the trigger and guess. This was not a top row clue in my estimation. Not a second row clue either. You've got to at least throw in Ventura or San Luis Obispo to make it second row, and something even more obvious to move it to the top.
I stand by my assertion that anyone with a passing knowledge of North American/US geography SHOULD be well aware of Mount Lassen and make the connection to California.
I agree. That was the real giveaway for me.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Ditto here -- not raised as a Californian (born in Merced but left the state before my first birthday); not familiar with Lassen or Kern. Went with California based on "Imperial". I know the Imperial Valley primarily as an agricultural center. I see it on produce signs at the supermarket pretty regularly, and now I'm wondering if it may have been mentioned as an employment destination for the Joads in Grapes of Wrath. It also shows up occasionally in movie credits "filmed on location at" lists for those who watch the credits that far through.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:43 pm
Ditto here -- not raised as a Californian (born in Merced but left the state before my first birthday); not familiar with Lassen or Kern. Went with California based on "Imperial". I know the Imperial Valley primarily as an agricultural center. I see it on produce signs at the supermarket pretty regularly, and now I'm wondering if it may have been mentioned as an employment destination for the Joads in Grapes of Wrath. It also shows up occasionally in movie credits "filmed on location at" lists for those who watch the credits that far through.
NHO Lassen, Kern was familiar, but Imperial was the dead giveaway for me.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:43 pm Ditto here -- not raised as a Californian (born in Merced but left the state before my first birthday); not familiar with Lassen or Kern. Went with California based on "Imperial". I know the Imperial Valley primarily as an agricultural center. I see it on produce signs at the supermarket pretty regularly, and now I'm wondering if it may have been mentioned as an employment destination for the Joads in Grapes of Wrath. It also shows up occasionally in movie credits "filmed on location at" lists for those who watch the credits that far through.
Imperial County is way down south--between San Diego County and Arizona on the US-Mexico border. I associate Steinbeck with Northern California and the central valley. Looking it up, I see the Joads ended up in the Bakersfield area... so, Kern County. Wouldn't surprise me if they considered Imperial at some point in the book.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lassen = California is a connection I don't think my brain has ever had to make before. And "Kern" and especially "Imperial" are such generic names that they could be from just about any state.
seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:35 am Spoken like someone who's never had to move a box of books. They're dense, and efficient space-fillers to boot (I mean, in a way besides density, as they're generally flat and rectangular), and many people have enough to fill a few boxes, so it's really easy to bite off more than you can chew.
I HAVE had to move books, but I also own a lot of other small things that can add up in weight quickly. CDs, VHS tapes, DVDs. I also considered jewelry as a small item whose weight could add up quickly.
mikebdoss
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mikebdoss »

trainman wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:36 am Lassen Peak, a.k.a. Mount Lassen -- which is in California -- is one of only two volcanoes to erupt in the "lower 48" United States during the 20th century.

If they really wanted to get a stand-and-stare from their Southern California contestants, they could have used a list like Glenn, Amador, Tehama.
Southern California native (with several years in the bay area), and I hadn't heard of those counties until I started researching which CA counties I had been to, a few years ago. The 5 freeway passes through Glenn and Tehama on the way to Oregon, so I've been to those. But I've still got 14 (including Amador) that I haven't visited yet.

Lassen should be familiar because of Mount Lassen, and Kern should be familiar to everyone in Socal, since it's immediately north of Los Angeles County (and also on the 5).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TPH...did you know which state is home to Autauga, Talladega, and Coosa County?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:57 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:35 am Spoken like someone who's never had to move a box of books. They're dense, and efficient space-fillers to boot (I mean, in a way besides density, as they're generally flat and rectangular), and many people have enough to fill a few boxes, so it's really easy to bite off more than you can chew.
I HAVE had to move books, but I also own a lot of other small things that can add up in weight quickly. CDs, VHS tapes, DVDs. I also considered jewelry as a small item whose weight could add up quickly.
CDs and DVDs in cases, and videocassettes have a lot of empty space. I sincerely doubt a box full of any of those has a weight comparable to a box of similar size filled with books. And I also doubt most people have enough jewelry where "put it in a smaller box" is necessary advice.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Lassen = California is a connection I don't think my brain has ever had to make before. And "Kern" and especially "Imperial" are such generic names that they could be from just about any state.
But they're not from any other state. Only California has a Kern or Imperial County. To me, Imperial County is well-known enough to be a Pavlov for California.
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf »

DBear wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:04 pm
But they're not from any other state. Only California has a Kern or Imperial County. To me, Imperial County is well-known enough to be a Pavlov for California.
NHO Kern or Imperial County, but Lassen was a gimme from Lassen Volcanic National Park.