Friday, December 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Friday, December 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:38 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:55 pm Not this time, CCer. THE 4-LETTER FILMS category wanted an Ashton Kutcher film about an Apple guy. Jaws? :lol:
Don't you remember the famous quote from that movie? "You're gonna need a bigger monitor!" :lol:
"This was no programming accident!"
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Twelvefootgirl said Hallmark as a Pavlovish response. I pondered Macy's and Woolworth's and decided the latter was too arcane. I KISS'ed it with Hallmark, and told the nearest roadrunner :).

I'll have to see wtf "yacht rock" is. I am the worst baby boomer ever, I knew those groups' names and a couple of the song lyrics, but could never match them to anything. We were strolling in the Big Apple in 2013 and Steve Tyler and his entourage almost knocked us down storming out of a hotel lobby and I was the only one who never heard of him.

I hope Brandon Braydon goes ahead and runs the table in Alex's last week. A one and done for the last show doesn't make a very good trivia question, you know, it's too trivial. He got an extra life today, so maybe he'll regain his buzzer mojo.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

NHO "Dissent collar". That was a very weird clue.

States by County for $200 was vastly undervalued. Kern, Imperial, and Lassen don't sound like they belong to any particular state.

Moving for $400 could have been anything. How did you get books out of that clue?

Literature for $1200 was MASSIVELY ENORMOUS NEGBAIT for Verne. And of course I bit on it like I always do.

In DJ!, I ran 4-Letter Films, but was 0/5 in Money and surprisingly, In Excelsis Deo. Didn't recognize the words from $1200 down and just couldn't puzzle out the other two.

Envelopes... Hallmark? Sure, why not.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:51 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:38 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:55 pm Not this time, CCer. THE 4-LETTER FILMS category wanted an Ashton Kutcher film about an Apple guy. Jaws? :lol:
Don't you remember the famous quote from that movie? "You're gonna need a bigger monitor!" :lol:
"This was no programming accident!"
"I'll never wear a black mock turtleneck again."
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:32 am States by County for $200 was vastly undervalued. Kern, Imperial, and Lassen don't sound like they belong to any particular state.
Kern County is the county directly north of Los Angeles County. If the writers are assuming that the contestants are all local to LA, it's perfectly cromulent.

The $400 clue felt a little easy to me, but out of the four counties I have lived in, two of them were in that clue. :lol:
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Newhausen wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:22 am Kern County is the county directly north of Los Angeles County. If the writers are assuming that the contestants are all local to LA, it's perfectly cromulent.
And, really, all the counties in California have made the news in L.A. during the pandemic, as case counts have risen and fallen, and business closings have come and gone.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I ran Yacht Rock and Moving, and 4/5 for Chinese History and Ruth Bader Ginsburg on my way to 23 of 30 in the J round.

FJ was an Instaget guess.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Devon ran into a pair of buzzsaws, but little did he know that just a few more right answers would have won him this game due to a poor second place wager. Brayden is not yet a Super Champ (and may not get there for all we know), but I know there have been other times in the past where superchamps were spared by a poor wager.

Brayden is solid in many things but some of the Pop Culture stuff is getting him.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Couldn't pull out Salt.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Foreigner, Doobie Brothers, Colorado, Bill of Lading, Christopher Cross, Alexandre Dumas, Boxer Protocol, Dowager Empress, (Panama), Diesel
Douglas Squasoni
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Another "Macy's" here. My grandmother was a gift-wrapper for O'Neill's, which was Akron's version of Macy's, in the '60s[?]/'70s/early '80s. Christmastime was a special time at grandma's house, with homemade potica and the most expertly wrapped and ornamented gifts. Grandma swore by the knife method of cutting gift wrap. I guess when you wrap 500 packages a day you don't have time for the energy-wasteful snip-snip-snip of scissors. One of my favorite Christmas memories took place at her house, in '83 when I was three years old, when I was eagerly opening a package from "Santa Knecht" (invariably, presents were packaged in O'Neill's boxes), only to be vocally disappointed: "Aw, it's just clothes." Not the least bothered by my ungratefulness, Grandma said with a smile, "Look deeper," and hidden beneath, in the tissue paper, was the most beautiful golden C-3PO action figure, the version that came apart into pieces so you could re-enact his temporary demise at the hands of Ugnaughts.

I told my wife she better go 5/5 in Chinese history. She only got two or three, and she gave her answers in Chinese. Would Alex have accepted? Alex's anglicized pronunciation of Cixi threw my wife off. (I got 5/5.)

Good thing there were no tomatoes on hand during FJ!, as they would have been thrown at the TV upon the wager reveal.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I lost the coin flip on the Eagles song by guessing Glen Frye. Other than just knowing, is there a reason I should have guessed Don Henley?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Golf wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:53 pm
John Boy wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:06 pm I often wonder, how long AFTER a game is taped does it happen that a contestant has some kind of epiphany and realizes, "Dang, you know, if only I had wagered X in FJ instead of Y, I would have won the danged game."

If she acknowledged this on "Reddit," I'm also curious: was she just clueless as to wagering strategy, or did it seem like too much math to come up with the correct wager of $10,200 or less so she picked a close round number instead?
Most contestants (and viewers) think Jeopardy! is solely about knowing trivia. They would be wrong.
Well, of course that's what bunches of people think. And of course they're wrong.

I just never understand how you can watch the game (for most contestants, for years!) and never catch on that wagering strategy IS part of every game. *deep sigh*
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

yclept wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:34 am
Brayden is solid in many things but some of the Pop Culture stuff is getting him.
One more reason I like the guy. Solid in "classical" trivia material and good breadth of knowledge, but it seems some stuff is so trivial that even he doesn't waste brain cells on remembering them.

Reminds me of a guy I shaved this morning.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:41 am I lost the coin flip on the Eagles song by guessing Glen Frye. Other than just knowing, is there a reason I should have guessed Don Henley?
Glenn Frey is dead, so guess the guy who is alive? The clue offers no hint to guess Don Henley as it did not add what you needed, "pullover collarless shirt". It's match the song to the artist. The contestants went 2/5 in the category and that was one of the hits. Devon did not get double digits in clues correct until the FJ! round, but he got that one.

On the three that went TS there were no guesses, so that it the other strategy when unsure, or not knowing in the first place, clam.

If the clue was something about "Satisfaction" and you were torn between The Rolling Stones & The Beatles it's guess or clam while there should be no expectation of something added for the assist. J! people have to know stuff including music and it begins with the top box sometimes with no dip in the shallow end of the pool to get the toes wet.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:41 am I lost the coin flip on the Eagles song by guessing Glen Frye. Other than just knowing, is there a reason I should have guessed Don Henley?
I mean, that was a pretty big song in the 80s. It hit #1 on the Billboard charts and got a Grammy nomination. When I was a kid, it was on the radio All. The. Time.

That said, the thing about music categories is different people have different wheelhouses. I was money on the Yacht Rock category, whereas if they're asking about stuff from the past 10 years, I tend to stare at the screen blankly, occasionally shrugging my shoulders and shaking my head.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Henley's the only Eagles I can name...so pick the one even a pop music ignoramus knows. :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Newhausen wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:22 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:32 am States by County for $200 was vastly undervalued. Kern, Imperial, and Lassen don't sound like they belong to any particular state.
Kern County is the county directly north of Los Angeles County. If the writers are assuming that the contestants are all local to LA, it's perfectly cromulent.
And I would think most people would recognize Lassen because of Mt. Lassen (which is actually in Shasta County). The Imperial Valley is pretty famous, too. Definitely a $200 clue when most of the contestants these days live in California or close-by.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

mas3cf wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:41 am
I mean, that was a pretty big song in the 80s. It hit #1 on the Billboard charts and got a Grammy nomination. When I was a kid, it was on the radio All. The. Time.

That said, the thing about music categories is different people have different wheelhouses. I was money on the Yacht Rock category, whereas if they're asking about stuff from the past 10 years, I tend to stare at the screen blankly, occasionally shrugging my shoulders and shaking my head.
I am quite familiar with the song as Henley has gotten quite rich just from the royalties generated from the music service the grocery stores I work in as it is on the regular rotation. I was just unaware of who sang it. But I do know who recorded Satisfaction.

We should probably give up expecting contestants from knowing how to wager from somewhere other than the lead. With the leader’s MSBIW being above third’s doubled score it should be a simple decision. Just hope if FJ is a TS when you are the leader hope that second place went to the “bet a big round number if not everything” school of wagering.

I also hope Brayden can end the Alex era as a nine game champ. Alex’s last week was split into two taping days so we don’t have to worry about him having as much fatigue as he might have otherwise. It will just be a sad week to watch for the fans.
davey

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:55 pm
mas3cf wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:41 am

I am quite familiar with the song as Henley has gotten quite rich just from the royalties generated from the music service the grocery stores I work in as it is on the regular rotation. I was just unaware of who sang it. But I do know who recorded Satisfaction.
I said Glenn Frey too just because he was the first member of the Eagles I thought of. I had no idea who wrote the song, and I'm sure I've heard it in my grocery store too... :)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:30 pm
polaris wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:26 pm WaGeRiNG thEorY iSn'T iMpOrTaNt
Amanda's name on Reddit? IKnowMyWagerSucked (Yes, really, it's official.)
Hope Brayden has Amanda's address so he can send her a thank-you card if he makes to the TOC.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.