Thursday, October 14, 2004 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 14, 2004 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 14, 2004 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R (Missed Gina Lollobrigida, Tim Youthers, and Earl Butz. Got NY Islanders and Don Meredith, but only after Ken negged. I don't count rebounds.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Martin van Buren, Knickers, Stickhandling, Jerzy Kosinski, Buttercup, Cell Door
Douglas Squasoni
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS AMERICANS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
After his public comments were criticized by FDR, he resigned his Air Corps Reserve commission in April 1941

Ken Jennings: 24800+5100=29900 (57x= $1,936,300)
Graham House: 6800-6401=399
K.C. Backer: 6600-6600=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Charles Lindbergh (Graham – NO CLUE) (K.C. – Mitchell)

Daily Doubles
Ken: 5400+2100
Ken: 17700+2300
K.C.: 4600+2000

Coryats
Ken: 22400
Graham: 6800
K.C.: 5800

Combined: 35,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Ken: 11300
Graham: 1600
K.C.: 1800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

My scoresheet shows I missed the FJ! clue in aught four with Wilbur Wright and Billy Mitchell both crossed out so I don't remember which one I settled on to miss it. It seems so easy today.

Will Ken go over $2 million?
Golf

Post by Golf »

I'd like to know how long it took to get this game archived after it aired. Thinking the archivists were a little lax. :lol:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The opening did not add anything extra as it's what you can see in the link at the top of the archived game.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:08 am I missed the FJ! clue in aught four... It seems so easy today.
Samesies. Once you know Lindbergh was a major voice for neutrality in the lead-up to WWII, the clue solves itself.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Humanitarian Ladies, "Ick", Math, Lake City :)
Daily Doubles: :D :D :D
trash: knickers :o, Islanders, Earl Butz, buttercup, cell door for 5400
[edit] 4/5 in hockey, clamming on the bottom clue
FJ: Instaget. :mrgreen:
Last edited by DBear on Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Golf wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:05 am I'd like to know how long it took to get this game archived after it aired. Thinking the archivists were a little lax. :lol:
Well, it took 16 years to get this thread started, so there you have it...
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:26 pm
Golf wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:05 am I'd like to know how long it took to get this game archived after it aired. Thinking the archivists were a little lax. :lol:
IIRC, the KJ games were originally archived on another board that is now defunct.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:26 pm
Joking aside, for the record, the thread did exist, but it was on the official forum that Sony nuked.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

How'd people fare on the hockey clues? I went 5/5, but I thought the hardest one by far was the Islanders clue. Granted, Ken accidentally turned it into "name the OTHER team in New York", which should be a rebound for the brave. I'll admit, I'd NHO Bryan Trottier, but "dynasty in the early 80s" nails it to NYI. Right after that dynasty is that of Gretzky's Oilers, which would be an acceptable guess if they hadn't named someone who is not Gretzky.

Also, in the icing video - they couldn't have had Tie ice the puck? He gets it before the blue line, so it's a legal pass.

One person who probably watched this episode when it first aired - 9 year-old Max Domi, Tie's son. He will be playing for the Columbus Blue Jackets this season, which was just announced to start January 13. He's a person with Type 1 diabetes who has some pretty significant issues with blood sugar control - he checks his blood glucose every 15 minutes during the game, and he has a service dog who can rouse him at night if his overnight glucose gets too low.
Golf

Post by Golf »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:27 pm How'd people fare on the hockey clues? I went 5/5, but I thought the hardest one by far was the Islanders clue. Granted, Ken accidentally turned it into "name the OTHER team in New York", which should be a rebound for the brave. I'll admit, I'd NHO Bryan Trottier, but "dynasty in the early 80s" nails it to NYI. Right after that dynasty is that of Gretzky's Oilers, which would be an acceptable guess if they hadn't named someone who is not Gretzky.
I find it interesting that you know the difference between the NYI's dynasty of the early 80's vs. the Oiler's dynasty of the late 80's, yet haven't heard of a huge star of that era like Trottier.

Regardless, it was all Hockey 101, so most contestants will not fare well. Boardies tend to fare some better than contestants in sports categories.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Watched and read "The Plot Against America" this year. I don't remember if I knew this FJ at time of original airdate.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I had the outcome spoiled for me, but this was still fun to watch. I wonder if K.C. remembers what she was thinking on DD3. She decided to lose right then and there by betting too little to get past half Ken's score even if she picks up the $3600 left on the board. Alex even says, "You know what you have to do." And I think she does. She says, "Um, I'm only gonna do $2,000". She seems to know that's the wrong move and she still can't bring herself to make the right one. She doesn't even bet enough to overtake Graham for second place. And then, like so many before her, she finally develops the guts to go all in on FJ, the very time when being cautious could have earned her an extra $1000. This is the deer-in-the-headlights effect at full power.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

For some reason this episode didn’t record. I didn’t have any problems when they showed the vault reruns last summer. So I found some video source based out of Antarctica.

A little surprised they didn’t have some sort of announcement at the beginning explaining why they were airing an old episode. Ken could have introduced it.

I went 5/5 in hockey. Not a big fan but I have heard of Trottier.

I don’t know if I saw this in 2004 but FJ was instaget today. I knew Lindbergh made some comments that were unpopular.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:16 pm I had the outcome spoiled for me, but this was still fun to watch. I wonder if K.C. remembers what she was thinking on DD3. She decided to lose right then and there by betting too little to get past half Ken's score even if she picks up the $3600 left on the board. Alex even says, "You know what you have to do." And I think she does. She says, "Um, I'm only gonna do $2,000". She seems to know that's the wrong move and she still can't bring herself to make the right one. She doesn't even bet enough to overtake Graham for second place. And then, like so many before her, she finally develops the guts to go all in on FJ, the very time when being cautious could have earned her an extra $1000. This is the deer-in-the-headlights effect at full power.
She appeared on the old Sony board afterward with a post titled something like "feeling the need to defend myself" and explained that she was very unconfident about the category, guessed Victoria because it was the only African lake she'd heard of, and was amazed when it was right. Another then-recent unsuccessful contestant joined the thread to sympathize and ridicule the board's obsession with "betting strategy" (her quotes), adding that she had her memories to warm herself with at night.
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I was between Lindbergh and Howard Hughes and went the wrong way, thinking it could have marked the latter's retreat from public life.

There seemed to be an edit after Ken's response of Tina Yothers. Anyone know if that's how it aired in 2004?